Beep Test

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a guy in my year level (10) got a 16 i think, pretty impressive. hes a footy nut of course.
Seems a bit high ... My VCE PE class did it the other week, i dropped out at 12, and the highest went on for about a 13 (this guy has been to state level in running ... and football), so level 16 for a year 10 ...? Hard to believe.

Kane.

Likes Dirt
Seems a bit high ... My VCE PE class did it the other week, i dropped out at 12, and the highest went on for about a 13 (this guy has been to state level in running ... and football), so level 16 for a year 10 ...? Hard to believe.
To Jacko13

Agreed, the best players in the Australian Hockey team get to around level 17 (Livermore and Dwyer), most reach between 14-16, and a couple may just make 12.

In AFL the top two in the West Coast Eagles club records for the beep test are 1. Callum Chamber who once reached 16.01, and 2. Chris Judd with 15.14. The next three had high 15s: Rowan Jones, Josh Wooden and Kasey Green.

So by saying that some one in your class got 16 he is fitter then Chris Judd? and that he (if he goes to the AFL Draft Camp) should get the highest score to date?

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So by saying that some one in your class got 16 he is fitter then Chris Judd? and that he (if he goes to the AFL Draft Camp) should get the highest score to date?
True. There's way to much grey area about the beep test to be able to compare results with anyone, outside of the people that ran the test with you.

Lemontime

Eats Squid
At my school, we run 20m im pretty sure we run from the baseline of a bball court to the start of the key down the other end. my best we like 10 something, and some guy in year 12 which has been the best i have seen got around 15 or so.
That ain't 20m!

J

JaRedy

I got a 13.1 about a month ago. I actually downloaded it and practiced in my driveway. Sister got pissed off upstairs cause there was an annoying beeping going on for about 15min.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, Chris Juss and Seb would of done it under the right conditions..

What your friends and others do at school is not the same, hence in accurate results. If your friend got 16 in your school test, under the same conditions Judd did his, he'd probably only pull a 12 if that..
we use the same test at the same length.

this kid is a freak. you mentioning that a guy was at state level at running doesnt discount this kids ability. hes never entered an out of school running event in his life, and only this year as he got so fit.

To Jacko13

Agreed, the best players in the Australian Hockey team get to around level 17 (Livermore and Dwyer), most reach between 14-16, and a couple may just make 12.

In AFL the top two in the West Coast Eagles club records for the beep test are 1. Callum Chamber who once reached 16.01, and 2. Chris Judd with 15.14. The next three had high 15s: Rowan Jones, Josh Wooden and Kasey Green.

no, he's not at the draft camp, not skilled enough for that.

it was the result of just under a years worth of running training for football.

its not impossible, i could probably pull a 14 if i want to (thats 2 more levels than what i got in my second test in half an hour) , its more about whats in your head than just how fit you are.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Somehow i still very much doubt it.

its not impossible, i could probably pull a 14 if i want to (thats 2 more levels than what i got in my second test in half an hour) , its more about whats in your head than just how fit you are.
No, it's not impossible, but Chris Judd has to be one of the fittest people going around, and for someone of -our- age to beat him, yeah ... no. There's also a hell'z of a lot of difference between you getting 12 and 14, let alone getting up to a 16.

smeck

Likes Dirt
That ain't 20m!
It is actually, a court should be 28m long and the key is 5 or 6m or so from the basket, which is at least a metre in from the end of the court. But I agree that some of these guys are probably doing the 15m beep test. I've seen some filthy fit guys get to level 15, and these boys are whippets in the classic scrawny athlete build. I've played Rugby with some semi-pro players that couldn't get that high, and these boys could run all day and hit like a freight train. When you have a look at the Vo2 levels required to hit some of the levels claimed in this thread you see the bullshit shining through. I wonder how many were allowed to just plod along at a pace banking laps until the beeps caught up instead of waiting behind the line until each start beep. As for teenagers, just wait till the testosterone kicks in and you start building some muscle to carry. It gets harder once you've finished growing, muscle generates heat and you fade/burn out as the recovery time reduces with the speed and levels ramping up.

Last edited:

sam705

Likes Dirt
So you know exactly what test those people mentioned did?
You have no proof. I have mentioned copious times in this thread, comparing the result you get at school on your basketball court to an elite level athlete is a bad match to say the least.
There are many versions of the beep test available, each 'beeping' at different time resulting in some versions having more levels than others.

I'd like to see your mate go up against Judd. He has been flogging his guts out for the many years he has been an elite footballer, compared to your mate who is more than likely half Judd's age. The workrate involved in AFL woul be alot more intense than your mates training.

Kane.

Likes Dirt
No, it's not impossible, but Chris Judd has to be one of the fittest people going around, and for someone of -our- age to beat him, yeah ... no. There's also a hell'z of a lot of difference between you getting 12 and 14, let alone getting up to a 16.

Jacko13 these people train for a living pretty much everyday and there mental strength would be unbelievable of how much they can push them selves, so your mates score is very unlikely.

At the AFL draft camp in 2005, Tom Rischbieth scored 15.08, beating the record of Sydney's Jarrad McVeigh 15.06 which he scored in 2002, and Sydney teammate David Spriggs 15.06 from the 1999 draft camp.

That was In the AFL Draft camp and I'm sure they pushed them selves to the max and there pretty much elite athletes, if your mate did get a 16 he should be with the AIS training full time.

Last edited:

Wingsowinter

Likes Bikes
Unfortunately, most of the scores I am hearing in this forum MUST be ficticious. I am the Head Teacher of PDHPE at a High School with 800 odd students. I make EVERY kid in years 7 to 10 do the beep test twice a year. I have done this for 6 years now. Best score thus far rates in the high 14's. I do, however, talk to many PE teachers from other schools who deliberately run the test on a shorter course so as to not upset the delicate ego's of their students. It is very possible to run 2-3 levels higher on a course that is 2m shorter. Incidently our state hockey player has one of the best results I have heard of. Ask anyone involved in the AIS scout program for rowing, cycling etc - they look at body composition and VO2 max results (which can be estimated using the beep test) If you don't have it then you don't have it - seeya later alligator!
I always find it interesting that 'fitness' is measured by such a specific test - much mention has been made of Lance Armstrong and others. It is important to remember that someone might have a massive engine (Cardiorespiratory System) but still do poorly at the beep test due to biomechanical inefficiencies/technique issues. An example would have to be Ian Thorpe - can swim like a mofo but resembles a drunken oaf when he runs. I would love to see an accurate version of a beep test for a multitude of different sports - besides a full VO2 max test (cost $1000) if you have to pay. Then we would see some truly amazing results - think for a second of the former cyclist Miquel Indurain... his lung capacity was 11 litres when he was at his peak. The average adult lung capacity is 5 litres - what a FREAK!

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt

My swimmin coach said the younger you are the fitter you are?:confused:

Anywayz i get in the 15 and i consider myself fairly fit.

Kane.

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately, most of the scores I am hearing in this forum MUST be ficticious. I am the Head Teacher of PDHPE at a High School with 800 odd students. I make EVERY kid in years 7 to 10 do the beep test twice a year. I have done this for 6 years now. Best score thus far rates in the high 14's. I do, however, talk to many PE teachers from other schools who deliberately run the test on a shorter course so as to not upset the delicate ego's of their students. It is very possible to run 2-3 levels higher on a course that is 2m shorter. Incidently our state hockey player has one of the best results I have heard of. Ask anyone involved in the AIS scout program for rowing, cycling etc - they look at body composition and VO2 max results (which can be estimated using the beep test) If you don't have it then you don't have it - seeya later alligator!
I always find it interesting that 'fitness' is measured by such a specific test - much mention has been made of Lance Armstrong and others. It is important to remember that someone might have a massive engine (Cardiorespiratory System) but still do poorly at the beep test due to biomechanical inefficiencies/technique issues. An example would have to be Ian Thorpe - can swim like a mofo but resembles a drunken oaf when he runs. I would love to see an accurate version of a beep test for a multitude of different sports - besides a full VO2 max test (cost $1000) if you have to pay. Then we would see some truly amazing results - think for a second of the former cyclist Miquel Indurain... his lung capacity was 11 litres when he was at his peak. The average adult lung capacity is 5 litres - what a FREAK!
You win!

My swimmin coach said the younger you are the fitter you are?:confused:

Anywayz i get in the 15 and i consider myself fairly fit.
That pretty much raps it up there of how bullshit the forums can be.

Last edited:

sam705

Likes Dirt
BANG! Spot on.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Finally someone brings some actual stance into the debate as a PE teacher who administers the test itself....! Vo2 can be measured through the beep test, but it is a very very rough estimate that is certainly not relied on, like you have stated.

*continue of point*

I was fortunate enough to be able to be part of a small group gaining access to a strict conditioned Vo2 max tests, both for a long distance runners as well as a rower (hooked up the same as the runner, but on an ergo... bit of a first at the Uni of Ballarat, but was good to see...). The runner, who was a top national performing long distance runner was scoring 15's in the beep test.. This could be widely critizied, though in the vo2 max test, he recored mid 70's.. So if you can beat his score in a beep test, you did it wrong...! Even the rower (our stroke for our firsts crew) scored 69.. and thats still damn high considering!

There are nearly 20 different tests that estimate your vo2 max.. Beep test being one of them.. So if you want to see if you actually should of scored a 17.11 on the beep test, do another 2 or 3 vo2 max tests, and average your scores.. i bet your beep test will be an out lier ;)

Last edited:

tc2233

Likes Dirt
I have got the beep test cd which is the one that is approved by the AIS whatever.
I did it last night after seeing this thread. Measured 20m and got to 14/2 which is a new pb for me as last time (the start of the year) i got 13/8. (I have competed at state level xc).
An hour later i measured 17m and got to 16/3.
Shows how a few metres can make a difference.
The best someone at my school got (he competes at national level xc running) and got high 14s.
Shows how a few metres can make a big difference.
I listened to most of the cd and got bored. But to get over 18 you would have to be crazily fit. Over 20 is pretty much impossible. These theories about Beckham and Lance Armstrong must be made up.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have got the beep test cd which is the one that is approved by the AIS whatever.
I did it last night after seeing this thread. Measured 20m and got to 14/2 which is a new pb for me as last time (the start of the year) i got 13/8. (I have competed at state level xc).
An hour later i measured 17m and got to 16/3.
Shows how a few metres can make a difference.
The best someone at my school got (he competes at national level xc running) and got high 14s.
Shows how a few metres can make a big difference.
I listened to most of the cd and got bored. But to get over 18 you would have to be crazily fit. Over 20 is pretty much impossible. These theories about Beckham and Lance Armstrong must be made up.
Thanks for actually trialling it! Actually numbers showing how much higher you can with only cutting off a few metres

My swimmin coach said the younger you are the fitter you are?:confused: Anywayz i get in the 15 and i consider myself fairly fit.
Don't know what your swimming coach is talking about - and it's nothing to do with swimming either, seeing as i'm one myself. And if i were getting 15's, i'd consider myself "fucking fit!'" Not just fairly ..! ;)

Unfortunately, most of the scores I am hearing in this forum MUST be ficticious. I am the Head Teacher of PDHPE at a High School with 800 odd students. I make EVERY kid in years 7 to 10 do the beep test twice a year. I have done this for 6 years now. Best score thus far rates in the high 14's. I do, however, talk to many PE teachers from other schools who deliberately run the test on a shorter course so as to not upset the delicate ego's of their students. It is very possible to run 2-3 levels higher on a course that is 2m shorter. Incidently our state hockey player has one of the best results I have heard of. Ask anyone involved in the AIS scout program for rowing, cycling etc - they look at body composition and VO2 max results (which can be estimated using the beep test) If you don't have it then you don't have it - seeya later alligator! I always find it interesting that 'fitness' is measured by such a specific test - much mention has been made of Lance Armstrong and others. It is important to remember that someone might have a massive engine (Cardiorespiratory System) but still do poorly at the beep test due to biomechanical inefficiencies/technique issues. An example would have to be Ian Thorpe - can swim like a mofo but resembles a drunken oaf when he runs. I would love to see an accurate version of a beep test for a multitude of different sports - besides a full VO2 max test (cost $1000) if you have to pay. Then we would see some truly amazing results - think for a second of the former cyclist Miquel Indurain... his lung capacity was 11 litres when he was at his peak. The average adult lung capacity is 5 litres - what a FREAK!
Winner.