Best enduro bike sub $5000

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I dunno, most serious DH riders I talk to also have Enduro bikes. Disagree that it's a fad, as the Dog says 160mm bikes are more than capable of shredding all the Aus DH tracks and surely it's an advantage to be able to ride back to the top on a day when there's nobody to shuttle with? And there's also the fitness benefits. Strava tells me that I'm faster on most DH tracks on my Enduro bike than I was on a DH bike. And it's more fun as line choice is more critical with a less forgiving bike. One could argue that you see some really shit DH riders who only make it down the hill because they've got so much bike they don't need to be that skilful... And these guys really trash the trails.
Yeah but DH riders are so rad and gnarly bro.... everything else is just for pussys!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Jarrod, every dh track I ever rode in my 8+ years of riding only dh is every bit as doable, and some even faster, on a modern enduro rig. Technology has come along in leaps and bounds. You rock up to a shuttle day now to an unchanged track that used to be stricly big rig territory and there's 30% enduro rigs. And blokes are smashing it. There is no need to dumb down the tracks for the enduro crowd, all but the biggest of features would be sweet, and I'll go round those probably like I always did anyway.. Unless there are fulldurotards sitting on jump landings eating granola bars and comparing butt cremes, i really don't see what the problem is.
The problem is, they're having fun wrong!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Unless there are fulldurotards sitting on jump landings eating granola bars and comparing butt cremes, i really don't see what the problem is.
Someone else has ridden Ourimbah recently!

i reckon the OP's Canyon has arrived by now and he's loving smashing runs on it, blissfully unaware of the internet banter that his thread has devolved into..:peace:
I hope he brought a tracer. So much great value.

One could argue that you see some really shit DH riders who only make it down the hill because they've got so much bike they don't need to be that skilful... And these guys really trash the trails.
One could certainly try...but the really shit DH riders (I'm probably one of them!) are such a small % of trail users that their impact is insignificant compared to the number of casual club xc racers who are suddenly nduro...

Thing is I'm not part of a club, never have been, never will be, and I've never lent a hand at any club organised maintenance day. So I probably don't have much right to demand they stop trying to maximise their land area to suit my desires.

Yeah but DH riders are so rad and gnarly bro.... everything else is just for pussys!
Finally someone weho where it's at!

For myself the fastest bike I've ever ridden down Ourimbah was my old nomad, the original enduro machine. Nothing else I've owned before or after would come close. Take that same bike over to the Awaba dh course and it rode like shit.

tick

Likes Bikes
The original (enduro) bikes had canti lever brakes and if you were rich a set of elastomer rock shox or RST forks and they were just called mountain bikes
you rode it as hard as you could up as you could down , while dodging rocks and sticks that were actualy left on the trail.
We have never had it better. Yet mtb riders have become such whingeing snivelling little sooks its embaressing.

And yes i,m old and cranky
But i own REAL enduro bikes
looney 300.jpgDSCN1674.JPG

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
So, whats the difference between an Enduro and All Mountain bike then?

Or is like the Gen Y / Millennial thing where they overlap 90% of time but give pedants just enough to jerk off too at either end?

jarrod839

Banned

Or is like the Gen Y / Millennial thing where they overlap 90% of time but give pedants just enough to jerk off too at either end?
AM and Enduro bikes are the same thing just some Muppet in the MTB Industry decided to re label it and make it a mass marketing hype (fad) and cause every idiot (most people on this forum) love jumping on bandwagons now get there panties moist when they here the word Enduro then throw all there cash at re branded shit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

So much jerking off...

AM and Enduro bikes are the same thing just some Muppet in the MTB Industry decided to re label it and make it a mass marketing hype (fad) and cause every idiot (most people on this forum) love jumping on bandwagons now get there panties moist when they here the word Enduro then throw all there cash at re branded shit.
...or it is part of the excessive categorisation that goes on. This facilitates a mass market product to be turned into a niche market. Micro differences at each step of the way to ensure you as the consumer are perfectly pigeon holed, sorry I mean catered to.

Straight from the wank manual itself:

Please be comfortable while you peruse our tantalising menu of gourmet bikes. Perhaps you're enjoying a cognac and cigar by the fire or savouring a freshly squeezed protein juice, maybe it's nothing but pure h2o...whatever it is that takes your fancy, we have a bike to match. Our boutique range of technological wet dreams is completely unique and has nothing in common with anything else flat packed and shipped from giant or merida in Taiwan to your local Ikea influenced bike store where a highly skilled 15 year old craftsman on minimum wages liberally sprays home brand wd40 all over it during assembly. Your salivating aren't you?

For the savvy and sophisticated rider we have offerings at every entry point of the market, pigeon holed for your convenience. XC race, XC, trail, trail elite, Enduro, gravity enduro, dirt jump, freeride, extreme freeride, downhill warrior, downhill elite, and of course cyclocross! 26, fat, 27.5, 27.5+, 29, and our soon to be released 32 inch styles are all proudly spread eagle before your eyes, why not collect them all? And of course we have matching styles for each bike to ensure you can easily and quickly be identified on the trail by other riders.

Think we've missed something? Don't worry we are only 1.5 seasons behind trend, so watch out for some sneaky midseason releases. Or maybe we have some effective geoblocking and your national distributor didn't import the one bike in our conprehensive catalogue you liked. Don't worry! For full retail pricing and excessive delivery charges (all paid upfront) they will source it for you with no risk to any business in the supply chain. This smooth and efficient process only takes 6 to 12 months, depending on when the parent company decides to liquidate last seasons scraps.

So why not set yourself apart from the crowd and get on board the new trend of mountain cycling? Everybody else is!

End quote. Travolta?

I'm sure the doors have a song about this.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
You're making some bold statements there bro. Another perspective: which is better for the environment - DH or Enduro?

Was Lala at Warburton closed permanently because people were riding up to get to the top or shuttling and thoroughly pissing off the locals?

We live in a country that (mostly) doesn't believe in chairlifts/gondolas for mountain bike parks, so to an extent one has to suck it up and embrace the option of a bike that descends almost as well as a DH bike and also has the ability to climb. If I lived somewhere else in the world where there are bigger, steeper hills with bigger features and chairlifts I'd probably own a DH bike as well as an Enduro bike. The MTB industry has simply given us more options.

So how do you get your DH bike to the top of the hill when your mates are unavailable for shuttles? Do you ever feel like the limitations of uplifts means you are riding your bike way less than you would like to be?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Errrrr no...we live in a country that doesn't have chair lifts etc scattered all over it sitting idle for 9 months a year and we are too tight to pay what would be extremely exorbitant prices to use such things if specifically erected for bike riders. Look how expensive it is to use the available lifts! Imagine if they weren't decaying old infrastructure that was raking in the dough already during the "snow" season...that will give you an idea of our glibly warmed future.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Errrrr no...we live in a country that doesn't have chair lifts etc scattered all over it sitting idle for 9 months a year and we are too tight to pay what would be extremely exorbitant prices to use such things if specifically erected for bike riders. Look how expensive it is to use the available lifts! Imagine if they weren't decaying old infrastructure that was raking in the dough already during the "snow" season...that will give you an idea of our glibly warmed future.
I agree that the reason we don't have chair lifts for MTBing is very complex as are the reasons we don't have more bike parks and trails in general. The reality of the situation is that we have to make do with what we do have, which is best done with minimal whinging about we don't have and frequent trips overseas :whoo:

jarrod839

Banned
You're making some bold statements there bro. Another perspective: which is better for the environment - DH or Enduro?

Was Lala at Warburton closed permanently because people were riding up to get to the top or shuttling and thoroughly pissing off the locals?

We live in a country that (mostly) doesn't believe in chairlifts/gondolas for mountain bike parks, so to an extent one has to suck it up and embrace the option of a bike that descends almost as well as a DH bike and also has the ability to climb. If I lived somewhere else in the world where there are bigger, steeper hills with bigger features and chairlifts I'd probably own a DH bike as well as an Enduro bike. The MTB industry has simply given us more options.

So how do you get your DH bike to the top of the hill when your mates are unavailable for shuttles? Do you ever feel like the limitations of uplifts means you are riding your bike way less than you would like to be?
so what know you think Enduro is better than DH for the environment cause you can ride back up instead of having to drive or get a cable driven chair to assist. You sir are what's wrong with the MTB industry. In the past two years more and more shuttles are now available either through companies or organised Facebook groups and cause of this i ride most of vics last remaining DH tracks every weekend and not once worry how i will get back to the top.
If less Muppets stop buying into his Enduro fad and kept riding there DH rigs maybe then the industry would recognize the demand here in OZ and build some quality DH tracks.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
so what know you think Enduro is better than DH for the environment cause you can ride back up instead of having to drive or get a cable driven chair to assist. You sir are what's wrong with the MTB industry. In the past two years more and more shuttles are now available either through companies or organised Facebook groups and cause of this i ride most of vics last remaining DH tracks every weekend and not once worry how i will get back to the top.
If less Muppets stop buying into his Enduro fad and kept riding there DH rigs maybe then the industry would recognize the demand here in OZ and build some quality DH tracks.
Neither sport is good for the environment (in Aus) unless you live next to a bike park, but DH burns a shitload more fossil fuels to provide riders with runs.

Where did you ride last weekend and where are you riding this weekend?

I agree that DH has it's place and it's a shame pretty much all of the new trails being built here are somewhat 'dumbed down' to accomodate what you see as 'Enduro riders'. I guess the questions is, when MTBing isn't as big here as in some countries, would we rather see more 'tame' trails being built to accomodate a wider range of riders, or less trails that are more specific to a smaller sector, i.e DH. Unfortunately it's such a shitfight to get anything sanctioned, let alone built here, so you can see how the things that do pass muster are designed to get the maximum amount of usage - from the 'muppets' haha.

In an ideal world bike parks would be built here that accomodate all level of riders - from beginners to elite DH riders (and everything in between). Much like in Whistler and the new bike park in ChCh NZ. However I don't think you can blame the lack of DH tracks on the popularity of Enduro. I know so many DH riders who have sold their rigs and gone for smaller bikes purely because they were getting sick to death of how little riding they were able to do. Most of them are just as fast on 160mm bikes and still hit all the big jumps etc.

I wonder if the OP is happily riding his Enduro bike or worrying that he's bought into a fad that's killing the DH scene :heh:

Last edited:

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
One could argue that maybe that demand wasn't there to begin with, or we'd have already had these quality DH tracks by now? One could also argue that the 'enduro fad' is getting more people into mountain biking that want to do a bit more than XC, but don't want to risk killing themselves riding DH?

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
In the overall discussion i don't think the environmental concerns are really relevant.

I've argued this since i was a kid in Vancouver. One trail where 1000s of riders over the years kill a tree by riding over its roots is irrelevant when the city of nvan was approving new housing estates that clear 15 hectares of forest.

Environmental impacts are so minimal in all this it doesn't matter.

I ride a Nomad because when igot it 5 years ago here in Aus i didn't know anyone to shuttle and no lift parks.

Now it's getting easier to shuttle and great.

Never should a trail be dumbed down for AM/enduro. If we choose that type bike and to ride a tough trail just ride it slower. I just think the DH guys need to accept that these type ppl will be on the tracks.

Bright is a perfect example i think. Technically tough and fairly steep. Best on DH bike but if i can ride it on my Nomad why shouldn't I?

Cheers

dunndog

Eats Squid
In the overall discussion i don't think the environmental concerns are really relevant.

I've argued this since i was a kid in Vancouver. One trail where 1000s of riders over the years kill a tree by riding over its roots is irrelevant when the city of nvan was approving new housing estates that clear 15 hectares of forest.

Environmental impacts are so minimal in all this it doesn't matter.

I ride a Nomad because when igot it 5 years ago here in Aus i didn't know anyone to shuttle and no lift parks.

Now it's getting easier to shuttle and great.

Never should a trail be dumbed down for AM/enduro. If we choose that type bike and to ride a tough trail just ride it slower. I just think the DH guys need to accept that these type ppl will be on the tracks.

Bright is a perfect example i think. Technically tough and fairly steep. Best on DH bike but if i can ride it on my Nomad why shouldn't I?

Cheers
Spot on mate. I think Jarrod you need to pull your head in mate. I'm stoked that you so passionately love dh and don't want to see it watered down because of other influences (real or perceived) but you just need to accept that crew riding bikes that aren't dh sleds, whatever you wanna call them and whatever you think of them, are not going anywhere and provide a lot of crew like myself a way to keep riding aggressively like we want without having to buy a road bike just to find time to turn some cranks over. I don't have time every weekend to dedicate a full day to shuttling warby, narby, wherever just to be able to ride. I need more options. But I sure as shit don't want to NOT be able to hit shuttles in those places when I can. You may just well be biting the hand that feeds you too if you consider how many others like me contribute to your shuttle days. Take the AM bikes out of a shuttle day at kingers or A Bay (both better on an AM bike anyway) and you'd have 5/8ths of fuck all people there and maybe they'd run less frequently or not at all? I rode Maldon on my Patrol a few weeks ago, and it was absolutely jack shit different to riding it on my dh bike. People like you need to get over it and get on with it, you sound like wanky skiers in the 80's who didn't want that fad, whats it called, snowboarding? on their slopes. How did that turn out. It's a pretty elitist, snobby and divisive attitude to attack a segment when you clearly can't see past your triple clamp forks. Chill.

Juan Dinger

Likes Bikes
Well this kicked off. I was the one who bumped the thread as it never got a response and was a very similar question to the one I had. I knew using the 'enduro' word was a bad idea, but seeing as though someone else already had, I ran with it. For those wondering, I am still stuck between buying new, buying second hand, and building a bike. Nothing within my budget is screaming "buy me" just yet. Has turned into a great thread by the way. Good banter. At least I go in knowing that I will be completely ostracised when I show up at a DH practice day on an AM bike.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Why do I smell a little bit of elitism in this thread. Is it true that Roadies are transcending into the MTB world ? :behindsofa: