BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
YEs, this was my response as well. Rack needs to switch between two cars, so need same size hitch on both.

All getting to be a bit of annoyance. REally don't want the kid seat in the Maz, but may have to bite the bullet on that one. I did think of roof racks on the Maz, but that's a surprisingly expensive option - well over $1k all up (need to replace the bike carrier I use on the roof of the Suby as it's 10 years old and the shitty plastic bits are degrading). I'd much prefer rear mount rack. Nothing complicated is ever simple...
The cheapest way is a used "normal" tower if thats all you can find https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/284816593538?hash=item4250645282:g:VBsAAOSwJ~digcgO&LH_ItemCondition=4

and some sort of adapter. This one goes on the tongue https://www.amazon.com.au/CURT-4500...ocphy=9072372&hvtargid=pla-499814694637&psc=1

although if it were me id get a tab welded on the square section and bolt it in place of the tounge.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

I think my rack came with something like this. Obviously no use if you don't want a towball rack.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
You'd have to make sure the ball's nut is done up very very tight!
Yeah, not ideal but I assume since Thule provided it they're ok with it.

It looked a bit different to the image, but I've never used it so no idea.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt

AMS Metal Sports - Mick was good to deal with, I had some questions around the tilt function of the rack, measurements and ground clearances and he took the time to call me to give some check measurements.
Just realised I banged on about the rack without posting a photo. Only one bike on there but you get the idea!

Attachments

Cheka

Likes Bikes
I'm looking to update my hitch mount rack to accommodate the new bike with 1300mm wheelbase. Only after a 2 bike rack.
Prefer no frame contact as we have frame skin on our bikes and just not sure if this will warp under load on frame clamp style racks.
Really like the 1UP USA HD double which initially looked promising @ AUD$980 after conversion. Asked them to quote shipping to AUS which came back at USD$376 ($AUD550) with UPS. Ouch!
Yakima have the Stage 2 for $1100 but it weighs around 30kg so a mongrel to move around.
RockyMounts have recently released their GuideRail USD$849 which looks great but I haven't been able to get any response from the Australian distributor at all. No reply to emails or phone messages.
Thule have the Helium platform but I had a look at one and it seemed more suited to lighter weight road bikes.
ISI is an option, looking around $1200 all up.

Might start looking at vertical racks but would need to be easy to load for my wife and her Levo SL.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm looking to update my hitch mount rack to accommodate the new bike with 1300mm wheelbase. Only after a 2 bike rack.
Prefer no frame contact as we have frame skin on our bikes and just not sure if this will warp under load on frame clamp style racks.
Really like the 1UP USA HD double which initially looked promising @ AUD$980 after conversion. Asked them to quote shipping to AUS which came back at USD$376 ($AUD550) with UPS. Ouch!
Yakima have the Stage 2 for $1100 but it weighs around 30kg so a mongrel to move around.
RockyMounts have recently released their GuideRail USD$849 which looks great but I haven't been able to get any response from the Australian distributor at all. No reply to emails or phone messages.
Thule have the Helium platform but I had a look at one and it seemed more suited to lighter weight road bikes.

Might start looking at vertical racks but would need to be easy to load for my wife and her Levo SL.
I have never had an ISI frame hook damage a bike or frame skin.
On longer trips wrap the frame with a thin cloth before clamping down and make sure the frame is clean at the clamping point.

I have had an ISI for 10yrs and a vertical SingleTrail for over 3yrs, both racks are still used regularly.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
anyone using a floor stand for their vertical racks?

Interested in thoughts.

View attachment 391143
If you're not too worried about aesthetics then a simple H out of RHS with dyna-bolts would do the job, you want your vertical to go in the socket as
far as possible and have a decent size clamp bolt, as mentioned wheeled stands are a great storage solution - they also let you get your unloaded rack in place so you're not carrying it for as far. Ensure if you go castors all around that at least 2 are lockable, otherwise feet with 2 rear wheels work well.

Do any bike racks fit the 40x40mm hitches ?

All the ads I have seen require 50x50mm
yes as a custom option - you have to be super careful on the loading on a 40x40mm though.

Smiker

Likes Dirt

The 1300mm wheelbase will be hard with a tray rack, most have limits of around 1150-1250mm. The Stage Two is a good fit by the sounds of it. 30kg is still less than a vertical rack to move around, and with a tray rack folded up it's an easy type of rack to fit into the hitch - nothing to hit your head on! Their OnRamp model is lighter and has a 1270mm limit... maybe it'd work. You could check at a dealer and save $3-400 as well.

You could also look at a Shingleback 2B90, but there's still more lifting than a tray rack, depending on the car.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Good advice from @Smiker. My XL Highlander at 1269 wheelbase needed extended ratchet straps to fit the Thule rack.

(It’s maximum approved wheelbase is 1300)

Last edited:

Cheka

Likes Bikes
I have never had an ISI frame hook damage a bike or frame skin.
On longer trips wrap the frame with a thin cloth before clamping down and make sure the frame is clean at the clamping point.

I have had an ISI for 10yrs and a vertical SingleTrail for over 3yrs, both racks are still used regularly.
Good to know. Do you leave the pivot base in your hitch and remove the rack to store or do you remove the whole lot? Would that be an OK option?

ozzybmx

Good to know. Do you leave the pivot base in your hitch and remove the rack to store or do you remove the whole lot? Would that be an OK option?
Yes one stays on the missus car. We have 2 pivot bases, one over slung (regular) and a custom one with the pivot base welded below the 50mm hitch.
This one gives clearance to vehicles with tailgates that drop or swing open.
It moves between my car, the trailer and storage.

Cheka

Likes Bikes
Yes one stays on the missus car. We have 2 pivot bases, one over slung (regular) and a custom one with the pivot base welded below the 50mm hitch.
This one gives clearance to vehicles with tailgates that drop or swing open.
It moves between my car, the trailer and storage.
How do you go with security? Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but it looks easy for someone to pull the 2 pins and walk off with the rack when you are out riding. Is there anyway to lock/secure the rack to the pivot base? I guess you could remove the rack and put it in the vehicle if it fits.

ozzybmx

How do you go with security? Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but it looks easy for someone to pull the 2 pins and walk off with the rack when you are out riding. Is there anyway to lock/secure the rack to the pivot base? I guess you could remove the rack and put it in the vehicle if it fits.
I never really bothered too much about securing my ISI but I park my SingleTrail vertical rack against a wall, fence or whatever so it can't be pulled off.