BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

bobob

Has $20
The market for Defender 130’s just went through the roof.
Unless you put the bikes in the tray, not sure that is even enough with the rack. Don't know how to measure a Defender 130 from the rear axle but if the Internet is right on the wheelbase @3225mm, you then have 1935mm, doesn't seem likely.

Tailpads were recently targeted as well. That was for obstruction to lights and number plate.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Unless you put the bikes in the tray, not sure that is even enough with the rack. Don't know how to measure a Defender 130 from the rear axle but if the Internet is right on the wheelbase @3225mm, you then have 1935mm, doesn't seem likely.

Tailpads were recently targeted as well. That was for obstruction to lights and number plate.
60% rule is in Q too. My iSi rack for 2 bikes is just OK on our 150 Prado. 3 or 4 bike racks would be an issue on anything I suspect. When we carry kayaks on the roof I would need to angle them up at the nose to comply. I don't though I do have the long load rag hanging off the rudder.

If you are short enough to drive a 130 then who the fuck cares?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Just bought a Death racks 3 bike kit to make a mini bolt on for my existing ladder rack. I can guarantee I’ll do a better job than that abomination above! I’ll at the very least use more cold gal to hold it together anyway!

moorey

call me Mia
Just bought a Death racks 3 bike kit to make a mini bolt on for my existing ladder rack. I can guarantee I’ll do a better job than that abomination above! I’ll at the very least use more cold gal to hold it together anyway!
All the same….we can use mine for shuttles….

Jpez

Down on the left!
All the same….we can use mine for shuttles….
What if I don’t want to ride with Moorebags??

Actually what really swayed needing it was getting home after a late ride at the Youis last night and getting out of the ute and getting a massive cramp in my hamy which wouldn’t piss off so I couldn’t climb in my ute tray to pull the bike out. Altona north is not really the place you want to leave an expensive MTB sitting in the back of a ute! After 30 min the cramps subsided enough so I could get it out.

TLDR?? I’m sick of climbing over my ute boxes and into my tray and hefting my bike in.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Had to laugh when someone posted in a deathracks facebook post their progress pics :oops:

View attachment 383818View attachment 383819View attachment 383820
Farrk...that looks scary!
looks like it was done with 2 flat car batteries joined together in series and using a rusty coat hanger as a welding rod
Have been out of the workshop for the last week and half, was hoping to get back to it on the rain days we had recently, but nope..just worked in the rain :mad:..
Will try to get some progress pics up soon

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've got an idea brewing, anyone with access to or knowledge of the ADRs could you comment on the legality of mounting a bike rack rego plate vertically.
I believe there is something about plates being displayed parallel to axles.

number plates should be permanently fitted to vehicles in an upright position and parallel to the vehicle’s axles
I know motorcyclists have been fined for tilting them at the same angle as their rear mudguard.