BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

user name

Likes Dirt
if you are looking for the spear type rack cell bikes has one super cheap currently http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Bike-Rider-Carry-ALL-Universal-Bike-Carrier?sc=34&category=12669
Also torpedo 7 racks are on special again, there is multiple rack threads on the towball mount ones of these and they seem to get an ok wrap.
Isi and gripsport both look awesome but the minister for finance isnt so convinced.
I have the same Cell rack. It comfortably fits 3 bike of any type, 4 at a push or with careful arranging. I think the best features are the easy towball mount only requires a 10mm Allen key and the arms are quick release meaning it folds flat for storage.

imago

Likes Bikes
I'm using the newer Grip DH rack, it's really well thought out and well built. I've used it for light off road, and it's still easy to get into the boot on my car (sedan). Wish I got it earlier as it has made getting to a ride much easier.

ChopSticks

Banned
Online Thule Retailers

Spent the last couple of days researching into bike transport solutions

Currently running a Saris Bones 3 with adaptor bar....
I don't like how the adaptor bar clamps to the seat post under the saddle... ESP since I will begin using a dropper...

main issue is my car has no hitch/towball... So all those lovely carrier solutions are out of the picture, so too are roof racks (height issue, fuel economy /wind noise apparently becomes a joke, and most importantly aesthetics ... Some cars just look wrong with roof rack)

have you got any advice for transporting your bikes?

I have my heart set on the Thule 9003
similar to the saris bones, but supports the bike via the wheels similar to the ISI/gripsport racks... But are boot lid mounted.

i searched far and wide for the cheapest 9003 but by the time shipping was included I could've have just bought it cheaper here ($450-500~)

Are there any lesser know online stores which sell/ship Thule?
Jensonsusa have shipping at $150~ which bring it to $480~aud
amazon is cheapest at $315~ but does not ship outside US
ebay is no help either
how much to shipforwarders charge?

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Come on mate - all that cash on the Yeti and no money for a towbar and proper rack???

(I can't speak though, I throw my DH bike across my leather rear seats regularly as I would rather blow cash on upgrades than on bike transport....)

MARKL

Eats Squid
Seriously, you trust a blinged out SB66 to those boot mounted things? Reality is the roof mount is just about aesthetics - city fuel economy and wind noise is bugger all difference and if you are going to do a drive where it would make a difference you will either have your bike with you or you can take them off - still less work than putting on that silly boot mounted thing every time you want to take your bike with you.

ChopSticks

Banned
Come on mate - all that cash on the Yeti and no money for a towbar and proper rack???

(I can't speak though, I throw my DH bike across my leather rear seats regularly as I would rather blow cash on upgrades than on bike transport....)
Exactly....ALL the cash on the Yeti and nothing left :p LOL

currently selling the car... so I dont want to weld something on that I cant take off (or have a hole cut out of my rear bumper)...or buy roof racks with foot packs I would no longer be able to use...hence the 9003
I usually do the same as you...take wheel/s off and lay the bike on my leather seats....but this if for when I take more than one bike with the missus or friends...

Seriously, you trust a blinged out SB66 to those boot mounted things? Reality is the roof mount is just about aesthetics - city fuel economy and wind noise is bugger all difference and if you are going to do a drive where it would make a difference you will either have your bike with you or you can take them off - still less work than putting on that silly boot mounted thing every time you want to take your bike with you.
I believe in spending $$$ on a nice rack (had a cheap ebay $40 boot mounted rack when I first starter riding....went over a hump, buckles snapped, and the bike got dragged 20m before I could stop safely, worst still it took chunks out of my expensive car) and hence the move to the Saris.

1.5 years with the Saris, and I have faith in it....and the same for the thule (judging by reviews)
not too fussed with installing it (even though it looks laborious) still better than installing and removing roof racks each time :p

Last edited:

slyfox

Likes Bikes
I run a Thule roof rack with 591 and Side arm bike carriers.. in last 3 years, I went through 5 different cars (2 x Golf -> Fairmont -> Corolla -> Camry) and manage to run the same setup across them all. I had to change the base feet to fit each cars which cost around $60..

Don't worry about wind noise and drag.. unless you drive a race car.. only car I heard a bit of wind noise was on the Golf.. all others were fine.

The only minus is you can't take your car through the automatic car wash at servos..

ChopSticks

Banned
I run a Thule roof rack with 591 and Side arm bike carriers.. in last 3 years, I went through 5 different cars (2 x Golf -> Fairmont -> Corolla -> Camry) and manage to run the same setup across them all. I had to change the base feet to fit each cars which cost around $60..

Don't worry about wind noise and drag.. unless you drive a race car.. only car I heard a bit of wind noise was on the Golf.. all others were fine.

The only minus is you can't take your car through the automatic car wash at servos..
hahahaha....why? did you find out the hard way? Wont be an issue as I'm too povo to pay for a car wash... and wash the car by hand
Slyfox....you were the asian guy riding with Nigel at OMV? on a blue/gold SS pipedream? I remember asking you about roof racks and you mentioned your preference for the side wheel over the 591?

I would have absolutely no hesitation with running roof racks...if I had a Gold/hatch or a station wagon...but I think roof racks on sedans (my one anyway) would look ridiculous.

do the 'aero' bars really reduce noise? and IF I do get roof racks....is there a benefit of the sliding thule racks? (I'm 6'1" so I dont have problems getting over the car...but more for safely/ease would you recommend bars with a sliding feature?)

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
do the 'aero' bars really reduce noise?
Yes they do, but it's not going to help with either the wind noise the actual bike makes or the actual bike holder attached to the aero bars. But i have left the bars on without bikes and bike holders and can barely tell they're there. But with a bike on it's like the ghost of children squealing softly the entire time.

slyfox

Likes Bikes
hahahaha....why? did you find out the hard way? Wont be an issue as I'm too povo to pay for a car wash... and wash the car by hand
Slyfox....you were the asian guy riding with Nigel at OMV? on a blue/gold SS pipedream? I remember asking you about roof racks and you mentioned your preference for the side wheel over the 591?

I would have absolutely no hesitation with running roof racks...if I had a Gold/hatch or a station wagon...but I think roof racks on sedans (my one anyway) would look ridiculous.

do the 'aero' bars really reduce noise? and IF I do get roof racks....is there a benefit of the sliding thule racks? (I'm 6'1" so I dont have problems getting over the car...but more for safely/ease would you recommend bars with a sliding feature?)
Yes mate, that's me.. and No, I've never went through the car wash but I'd hate to see the damage it will cause.. *yikes*

Personally I really dont care how my car looks with a roof rack as long as it serves its purpose; and I use it every weekend.. abd best part about it is it literally takes only 15 seconds to secure my bike on the roof rack..

If you are really worried about wind-noise', Thule sells wind deflector - a plate that sits oin front of the roof rack and designed to deflect wind thus making it more aerodynamic I guess.. Wind noise were never an issue wiyth me though, I only heard it faintly on my golf, never bothered me with other cars I've owned. Also, If you are worried about fuel economy, I'd say roof racks will have much less drag than the rear bike carriers that sits the bikes horizontally across.

No idea what the sliding feature you talk of is.. one thing though, I wouldn't want my bike hanging off the boot secured only by a couple of straps.. I'm sure its all good but just for a peace of mind.

ChopSticks

Banned
got my Thule gear on eBay from a shop in Sydney.
seller store name?
noticed 'roofrackcity' seller listing super cheap brand new 591's posted for $189
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360592940392?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
get on it guys !!!!

Yes they do, but it's not going to help with either the wind noise the actual bike makes or the actual bike holder attached to the aero bars. But i have left the bars on without bikes and bike holders and can barely tell they're there. But with a bike on it's like the ghost of children squealing softly the entire time.
yehh... haunt cars dont do it for me :p

Yes mate, that's me.. and No, I've never went through the car wash but I'd hate to see the damage it will cause.. *yikes*

Personally I really dont care how my car looks with a roof rack as long as it serves its purpose; and I use it every weekend.. abd best part about it is it literally takes only 15 seconds to secure my bike on the roof rack..

If you are really worried about wind-noise', Thule sells wind deflector - a plate that sits oin front of the roof rack and designed to deflect wind thus making it more aerodynamic I guess.. Wind noise were never an issue wiyth me though, I only heard it faintly on my golf, never bothered me with other cars I've owned. Also, If you are worried about fuel economy, I'd say roof racks will have much less drag than the rear bike carriers that sits the bikes horizontally across.

No idea what the sliding feature you talk of is.. one thing though, I wouldn't want my bike hanging off the boot secured only by a couple of straps.. I'm sure its all good but just for a peace of mind.
yehhhh, Im aware of the fairing attachment... even envisioned sticker bombing it with my bag of bike stickers lol ...but comes back to the wrong car for the job....
honestly not worried about noise... or fuel economy (hell it costs me $120~ per tank of 98 and I only get 500kms~) ... they were just 'reasons' for not having roof racks ontop of the main concern of aesthetics hehehe

the sliding feature I speak of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9SoCDccVeM

I had my initial concerns but the saris has been rock solid.......so solid it has kinda bent my boot lid out of whack LOL
slight hesitation when closing the boot :(

MARKL

Eats Squid
Hey Chops I use the 594/side arm as well and they are great. Super quick, takes all types of bikes and very secure - there is no comparison between them and a boot strap system.

Edit: Can't see much advantage with the slide bar myself for a bike - maybe an advantage with a kayak or similar?

More importantly what sort of car is it?

Last edited:

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
594xt

Hey Chops I use the 594/side arm as well and they are great. Super quick, takes all types of bikes and very secure - there is no comparison between them and a boot strap system.

Edit: Can't see much advantage with the slide bar myself for a bike - maybe an advantage with a kayak or similar?

More importantly what sort of car is it?

I also use a 594XT after finding the down tube clamp styles wouldn't work with my frame. It's fairly agricultural looking but very easy to use and rock solid. Don't get any noticeable wind noise with it, with or without bike mounted.