Bikepacking

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I dunno if they'd keep a garmin charged, but there are things you can get that have a little magnet inside, they rattle as you walk, and your movement is enough to keep them charged. They keep an iPod charged. Forget the brand though.
Whenever I've looked at these sort of things, it's turned out the dyno + hardware weighed more than batteries and/or chargers. I guess it's really handy if you're short on mains availability or whatever... Charging off the batteries wasn't so much the issue as just getting into the routine of doing it every day. it'd be nice if you didn't have to charge them at all!!

Dyno's still drag at about 5% of most of our "human" power outputs. I took one 200grm LiPo battery with me for my light, only ever really used it on low power and it lasted the whole of last week on a single charge.

Having said that, it looks like the Schmidt SONdeluxe is about 395 grams, which is comparative system weight really (245 grams heavier than my DT front hub or about the same as my battery + hardware) and with no load, seems the drag is bugger all! ( < 1Watt)

Maybe it is something to consider. Certainly for that night time bikepacking requirement vs the 24hr racing requirement. 6V would be enough to get a USB charge going too.

Cheers
Spoonie

DW-1

Dirt Works
Having said that, it looks like the Schmidt SONdeluxe is about 395 grams, which is comparative system weight really (245 grams heavier than my DT front hub or about the same as my battery + hardware) and with no load, seems the drag is bugger all! ( < 1Watt)

Maybe it is something to consider. Certainly for that night time bikepacking requirement vs the 24hr racing requirement. 6V would be enough to get a USB charge going too.

Cheers
Spoonie
It you go with the Schmidt, it's also worth looking at the SuperNova E3 Triple lights. Serious dynamo lighting...

Elvis.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I guess it just depends on how much riding you're doing at night. If you wan't 'bike light' strength, then a dynamo seems like a good idea, if you just need some light for the evenings, then an LED headlamp gets something like 180hrs out of 2x AAA batteries (or similar).

Personally, I would the longest day I could imagine doing on a back to back basis would be sunrise-sunset. When it started getting dark, i'd just pull in for the night, light the fire, eat the instant noodles, and spend the night thinking how lucky you are to be camping in a place without bears etc.

having ridden with headtorches, bike lights (cateye, ayup etc) and dynamo lighting systems (shimano & schmidt hubs; B&M, Supernova lights), I would not consider going awol without the Schmidt powered Supernova (E3 triple)

They just work, no thoughts about having to recharge batteries (ever), though a headtorch is always a great backup and when you (inevitably) do get caught out in the dark, you can find a dry place to sleep.

Notably, Supernova also make a dynamo powered rear light, which might look slight, but is awesome!

Also, the service interval for schmidt hubs (as recommended by the manufacturer) is 50,000km; so you can ride home from TD without worrying

DaGonz

Eats Squid
My Epic Designs bags...

...have arrived (albeit a little late)

* note, bike used for illustration purposes only.

Construction is fantastic! the frame bag has two compartments, the right fits a 2L bladder and some stuff easily, maybe a 3-4L bladder at a pinch. the right side is shallow, I guess for maps but won't fit an Australian 1:25k map in there hight wise. probably pack it with smaller things though. I've just stuffed in a dodgy Roman sleeping bag and my down vest to fill out the seat bag but with propper compression sacks and the like I'd say you'd get that full of gear no troubles. Probably could get one or two of those bottle cage cases to fit more cruft into

I'd probably say, even with a handlebar bag I'd probably still have needed a backpack for my last trip though. Somehow, I see a full frame bag and a smaller TT bag for the ST/TT junction on my horizon.

Cheers
Spoonie

ebuk

Likes Dirt
They look really good. That gas tank looks very large.

I'm Impressed. May I ask if there was much of a price difference from the Revelate Designs range?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
They look really good. That gas tank looks very large.

I'm Impressed. May I ask if there was much of a price difference from the Revelate Designs range?
That's the Medium Gas tank too.

there was no price difference. Epic is the former name of Revelate. I got so used to calling them Epic Designs is all...

Cheers
spoonie

ebuk

Likes Dirt
That's the Medium Gas tank too.

there was no price difference. Epic is the former name of Revelate. I got so used to calling them Epic Designs is all...

Cheers
spoonie
ahhh, sorry I thought you were getting carousel design works bags. Dunno why I got that mixed up.

Timbers

Likes Dirt
Just finished building my first "touring bike" that I will be taking OS for six months in a few weeks. I chose the Supernova triple with a Shimano Alfine Dynamo hub. The actual light output is suprisingly comparable to any high end battery unit I have used, I actually had to adjust it downward a bit as I was getting high beamed from oncoming motorists. As for not having to recharge, I guess anyone reading this thread doesnt need convincing re the benifits there.

Attachments

Last edited:

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
Hello all,

I'm interested in starting to do a bit of 'touring' or bush bashing. As a beginner trek, I figure what better way than utilise the Bicentennial Trail between Canberra (where I live) and Lithgow (and then onto Bathurst where I have family). Is this a very good/safe/doable intro to this world?

From the looks of it, this would take probably 2 or 3 full days. Would those who know the BNT suggest buying the guidebooks for these two relevant sections (9 and 10)?

Is there absolutely anything I should know (bar anything to do with the bike and the camping) about the BNT or this type of activity that seems so obvious it is therefore not found on a lot of sites?

Or if anyone actually wants to do the ride with me :p

Matt

Last edited:

nicknopants

Likes Bikes
Hello all,

I'm interested in starting to do a bit of 'touring' or bush bashing. As a beginner trek, I figure what better way than utilise the Bicentennial Trail between Canberra (where I live) and Lithgow (and then onto Bathurst where I have family). Is this a very good/safe/doable intro to this world?

From the looks of it, this would take probably 2 or 3 full days. Would those who know the BNT suggest buying the guidebooks for these two relevant sections (9 and 10)?

Is there absolutely anything I should know (bar anything to do with the bike and the camping) about the BNT or this type of activity that seems so obvious it is therefore not found on a lot of sites?

Or if anyone actually wants to do the ride with me :p

Matt
Thanks for posting up about the Bicentennial Trail, I never even knew it existed. I want to do something like that next year. From what I've just been reading, it sounds like it would be awesome.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Yes, it's relatively straight forward (but see points below) and well documented.

This was my trip here. I kept going north from here though

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47443495
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47443481
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47443461

I take no responsibility for the use of my GPS traces other than information purposes though ;)

The section from Jenolan to Hampton is not so friendly. I could suggest an alternate route I havent tested yet or you could stick to the BNT. If you do, the bit that says "overgrown single track" you might want to bypass some how. The route I havent tested yet is to turn east at that point and take the Jenolan River Fire Trail. No idea how it would pan out so do so at your own risk. It rejoins the BNT later though. The guide book alludes to a private property fire trail to the west though. I just ended up on that after giving up but it's well... private property so again I wouldn't necessarily encourage you down that route. should you have the desire to stick to the "overgrown single track", take a compass and a machete and make sure you have plenty of day light.

...And I'm not joking.

Before that, there's lots of logging going on around vulcan SF so the route has been detoured through here. get the latest conditions off of the BNT site and the local co-ordinator.

The BNT around Canberra outskirts I found a little confusing. You may wish to bash through on bike paths till you get to the Gundaroo road.

There are a couple options to get into lithgow, I took the easy one. There are a couple more rugged options just short of Rydal or you may decide to bypass Lithgow all together. I can't help you much heading out to Bathurst, but there are some awesome trails in Sunny Corner SF. Craig @ Insane Cycles in lithgow (thecat on here I think) may be a good point of call though

it's 370km's. first 250-300 of that is pretty straight forward. there's a section of 50 or 60k's that's a bit iffy and the final stretch into Lithgow is very straight forward. For *me*, It's a long/hard 2 days, a medium 3, and an easy 4 to Lithgow IMHO, pretty much all on dirt roads and firetrails with the odd gnarly fire trail descent/climb and some sections of bitumen. It's amazing how much time is lost through navigational errors and how much terrain is hidden inside the contours. The first couple of days I thought I'd be banging out 100+mile days with ease. While my legs were more than capable, underestimating terrain, getting lost, time lost through "chores" (getting food, water, chatting to locals who spark up a conversation etc...) can be surprisingly costly

I would absolutely advocate getting the Guidebooks. They're very good. My only tip would be to put the GPS co-ordinates on some of the intersections or other notable features once you get into any of the state forests. For those sections, it may be worth getting the 1:25k topo's too. I didn't and still go there ok but I had a few head scratching moments I would also advocate joining the organisation that both maintains the trail and the guidebooks.

Water between Gundaroo and Crookwell is a bit sparse. It may or may not be a problem depending on the pace you can maintain and time of year. There are a couple of private tanks along the way, including the odd church but it's not guaranteed. It was a bit splotchy on day 2 as well but a little less so with more creeks flowing. It helped for me that it had both rained a lot recently, and been a bit cooler, but I made sure I knew were all the guaranteed water supplies were and left each one with a full gut and bottles/camelback. Mt Werong ( a tank) & Hampton will be your best bets on Day 2 I think apart from the odd creek.

ED: Crookwell has quite a few services, but funny general business hours (10-5/6 or so) for most shops. The bakery had some tasty treats and was open when I left in the morning (before 7). Taralga was a bit thinner but I didn't exactly tour around to see what else was available.

You should probably have a chat to all the relevant land managers you'll be passing through before you go. This will include (to Lithgow)

Livestock health and protection agency
National parks
State Forests

of which there will be multiple offices depending on jurisdiction. Some may or may not know what your talking about on first contact. Some will be a wealth of knowledge...

As usual, take my advice/comments with a grain of salt. Responsible for your own actions yadda yadda. I'd be happy to discuss your route choice though in terms of the documented campsites etc... some of them are good, some of them arn't

HTH

Cheers
Spoonie

Last edited:

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Oh... More thoughts:

Again depending on which time of year, you could do this trip amazingly light. There would be options for a hot meal every night, some might require small detours to get there depending on timing. Equally, accomodation would be available at various locations along the way and at worst case, a detour to a picnic ground (as I did) will land you a hut/shelter with concrete floor + tank water. Next time I do this trip, I'm just going to take a bivvy bag rather than a tent/shelter and even seriously contemplate taking a stove.

just some thoughts

Cheers
Spoonie

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Australian 2007 attempt at Tour Divide

Hey y'all,

I was speaking to Alex Field via the Bikepacking site only to discover he's not only done the Tour Divide before, but lives just up the road

Anyway, his Blog is an interesting read for others keen to do this race:

http://afield07gdr.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!

Cheers
Spoonie

DaGonz

Eats Squid
And an excellent video

http://vimeo.com/16967882

I'm starting to get a wee library of peoples blogs, videos and the like going :) I should book mark them properly or start a page on my blog or some such. Some of the blogs are awesome reads! but the video above is tops! I found Joe M's video a while ago as well, which was also worth a watch but was more stills set to music than anything

Cheers
Spoonie