BILT Inferno DH built up.

dhd

Downhill Direct
Our first BILT Inferno prototype frame arrived yesterday and was promptly screwed together for some testing. Initial impressions are very good and after a short ride today I can say I am more than pleased. It does have a few bugs that will need to be sorted before production but they are minor things.

Frame weight is dead on 5kgs with steel spring on the shock. Built up as pictured it tips the scales at 18.7 kgs. It would be dead easy to drop it into the 17kgs range.

Rear shock is X-Fusion Vector HLR. It's a brand new shock from X-Fusion and I have to say I am mighty impressed with it. It has high and low speed compression damping and rebound. The tuning range is phenominal and shock stroke is butter smooth.

Will get out for a decent ride in the next few days and update findings. So far it's all good. It turns like it's on rails, soaks up the chattery stuff and pedals reasonably well.

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
What no HYPE ????
Surely this is the biggest and bestest news in mountain biking this week !!!
What's with this honesty line Bill ??

toodles

Wheel size expert
Bill - stupid qquestion but how close does that reservoir come to the top tube under hard bottoming? I guess the shock body can be rotated to suit the geo chip position but does it foul on any points?

Is that a 8.75 x 2.75" or 9.5 x 3"?

What BB and rear hub widths?

stinkybigmacc

Likes Dirt
Looks great Bill. You're hard work has really paid off with a good looking quality product. Hope everything continues on the up and up when production starts.:D

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I mean if you want to start a world cup team I'd love to be on it:D
Nice design something a little different with the 2 peice pivoting linkage

notso

Likes Dirt
Independant review??

Hey Bill,

Looks great. Really impressed with what you're doing at DHD and for the Aussie MTB manufacturing in general.

Any chance of an independant review by our trusted (and crazy) Technical Editor Steve Mathews?

I'm sure a positive independant review would go a long way to securing interest from the general public around the world. Being the engineering boffin he is I'm sure he could also provide valuable feedback to aid in development.

Great stuff. Keep it up

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Truely an impressive build Bill!
Hopefully the prototype is a major success and we see this frame on the production line very soon!

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bill - stupid qquestion but how close does that reservoir come to the top tube under hard bottoming?
I was thinking the exact same thing. The length of the linkage arm coming off the downtube looks like as it rotates the reservoir would get awful close to the top tube at full bottoming. I'm sure that Bill wouldn't be investing any time in a design that would be flawed in that way.

Build looks sweet. Surprisingly light considering some of the parts swinging off it! New Boxxer WC's, lighter wheelset and light cranks and it'd easy be into the 17's.

Last edited:

dhd

Downhill Direct
It's all good. Doesn't hit but comes damn close! One of the "to do" items is to get rid of the adjustable upper mount as it is basically useless! Will post more info later as I'm suffering serious computer trauma!

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's all good. Doesn't hit but comes damn close! One of the "to do" items is to get rid of the adjustable upper mount as it is basically useless! Will post more info later as I'm suffering serious computer trauma!
I would've thought you'd keep that adjustability for different length shocks Bill...just a thought. Good work mate.