Bleeding hydraulic brakes after 1 year - worthwhile?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I guess the first thing to do is seal them back up and see what happens.

I've been a massive Hope fanboy because I haven't touched them in so long. If this is the end, they've still easily been worth the cost. The Maguras have always made it obvious when they needed attention.

Still, I'm an idiot for leaving itI guess.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I think that was your problem. The water in your old dot fluid caused corrosion.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I think you may be right about the corrosion, there's a white substance on the rubber seal for the reservoir which may relate to that?

IMG_0831.jpg

You can see the colour of the fluid in the reservoir, which is pretty similar to what came out the other end.

IMG_0832.jpg

I took the bleed nipple off completely, and squeezing the lever pushed nothing at all out of the bleed port (nipple back on in the photo)

IMG_0833.jpg

But, bizarrely, I put it all back together and the brakes work just as they did before.

Not sure what to make of this now, and what i should do about it.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I think you may be right about the corrosion, there's a white substance on the rubber seal for the reservoir which may relate to that?

View attachment 342500

You can see the colour of the fluid in the reservoir, which is pretty similar to what came out the other end.

View attachment 342501

I took the bleed nipple off completely, and squeezing the lever pushed nothing at all out of the bleed port (nipple back on in the photo)

View attachment 342502

But, bizarrely, I put it all back together and the brakes work just as they did before.

Not sure what to make of this now, and what i should do about it.
Blockage is probably very close to the bleed nipple. Regardless, I would do a complete disassemble and inspection. If you get flakes of corrosion near the piston seals they could blow out at a very bad time.

tiggerlator

Likes Bikes
Hopes are for fashion victims who spend more time polishing them.

I use shimano's which are in beatable if properly bled, once a year.
Not sure about other brakes.
I also prefer brakes that use mineral oil as it doesn't nark your paint up.

tiggerlator

Likes Bikes
Btw bleeding shimano's is so easy.
Full syringe on nipple at bottom.
Empty one on top with no plunger.
Squeeze fluid from bottom to top. Full syringe.
Close nipple
Suck fluid from top syringe and remove.
Done.

teK--

Eats Squid

Not sure about other brakes..
Until a seal starts leaking then have to throw the lever or caliper out because they don't sell spares. Hopes are literally for life because you can buy every small part and fully rebuild at home.

Z

Zaf

Until a seal starts leaking then have to throw the lever or caliper out because they don't sell spares. Hopes are literally for life because you can buy every small part and fully rebuild at home.
I'm not sure a lot of people are ready for that kind of commitment.
What if you want to squeeze other brakes?
Why do we have to settle so early?
Really, Hope are coming across as a little clingy, and not the free spirited kind of brake that I need and want in my life right now.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Online dive shops sell just about every o ring size you could ever want.

You can also buy aftermarket pistons on ebay.

teK--

Eats Squid
I'm not sure a lot of people are ready for that kind of commitment.
What if you want to squeeze other brakes?
Why do we have to settle so early?
Really, Hope are coming across as a little clingy, and not the free spirited kind of brake that I need and want in my life right now.
That's ok you can have more than one brand too. Play the field haha

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them

Not sure about other brakes.
I also prefer brakes that use mineral oil as it doesn't nark your paint up.
But just Deore's right? Or was it no Deore's? I lose track.

M615's though; best set of budget brakes I ever bought and a breeze to bleed. The M810's have been an absolute ripper too, although I think the levers may be up for replacement soon, the bend from a crash a while back is starting to concern me.

rstim

Likes Dirt
After reading this thread and all the talk of Maydena being crazy steep and hard on brakes, I've decided mine definitely need to bleed before I get down there.
My question is on bleed kits do I need to shell out on a genuine Sram kit for my Avid DB3's or are the kits on eBay decent enough. I've also seen the kits from epic bleed solutions which look decent, any advice appreciated.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
After reading this thread and all the talk of Maydena being crazy steep and hard on brakes, I've decided mine definitely need to bleed before I get down there.
My question is on bleed kits do I need to shell out on a genuine Sram kit for my Avid DB3's or are the kits on eBay decent enough. I've also seen the kits from epic bleed solutions which look decent, any advice appreciated.

Average Ebay kit is good enough usually, but wash everything in the kit after use, prolonged exposure to DOT fluid will destroy everything .

Bigger concern are the DB3 brakes. These are effectively Elixirs, twin piston calipers. You're going to quickly be out of brakes with these. Metallic pads and 200mm rotors would be a must for anything gravity, as these are really an XC/trail brake at best.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Average Ebay kit is good enough usually, but wash everything in the kit after use, prolonged exposure to DOT fluid will destroy everything .

Bigger concern are the DB3 brakes. These are effectively Elixirs, twin piston calipers. You're going to quickly be out of brakes with these. Metallic pads and 200mm rotors would be a must for anything gravity, as these are really an XC/trail brake at best.
I thought this may be the case with the brakes. I've had no dramas with them at Derby with 180 rotors and sintered pads, but Maydena looks like a whole different level and good brakes sound like a must. Might be time for an upgrade.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I thought this may be the case with the brakes. I've had no dramas with them at Derby with 180 rotors and sintered pads, but Maydena looks like a whole different level and good brakes sound like a must. Might be time for an upgrade.

What bike do you have them on?

BT180

Max Pfaff
After reading all the comments in this thread, I've decided to ask the LBS to bleed my brakes, while my bike was in there for some other work. Brakes felt great, but in nearly 2 years had never been bled. Looking forward to getting it back, to see if I can notice any difference.