BMC Working Week Series 2008

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went through the middle around the first angled rock shelf then on the right for the rest of the way

plus anybody got photos?

spikenet

Likes Dirt
up the guts was good until all those baby head size rocks started moving around late in the day! however, I loved that whole new section :) great job!

as above, anyone got pics.. a few people were about snapping away.

ukalipt

Likes Dirt
i have some pics i will attempt to upload some tonight. been a bit busy.

you might recall the two boys ringing the cow bell,
as you passed the top part of the car park and crossed the fire trail,
that was my boys. they were so happy, the bell ringing really brought
a smile to almost every riders face, which made their day. thanks to
everyone who encouraged them, they were talking about it for hours after. :D

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its the little things like that, as a soloist, makes it all worthwhile, it makes you look forward to riding the next lap and the next one , the one after that.

Nub

Banned
Its the little things like that, as a soloist, makes it all worthwhile, it makes you look forward to riding the next lap and the next one , the one after that.
It is isn't it, and when you're going through the start/finish people cheering for you, all those little comments go a long way, makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like you're playing with kittens. Nawww :)

On the topic of solo, you were f*cking flying Dreggsy!

morto1980

Likes Dirt
i have some pics i will attempt to upload some tonight. been a bit busy.

Yeah - that was tops. Cowbells are a good compromise between standing there not knowing what to say and trying to come up with something different for every rider (which gets old fast).

Good work! :D

morto1980

Likes Dirt
Also - what's the dirt on the injuries?

I heard rumours of a broken leg (I remember being told "rider down" on the 1st lap and seeing some poor dude holding his leg) and also someone going off a bridge and getting into a mess. Hope everyone ended up OK.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Also - what's the dirt on the injuries?

I heard rumours of a broken leg (I remember being told "rider down" on the 1st lap and seeing some poor dude holding his leg) and also someone going off a bridge and getting into a mess. Hope everyone ended up OK.
yer some dude had a bad stack above the car park on the first lap....screams were pretty loud as first aid was being rendered....

and yes i went off max's bridge into the water on my first lap which was our teams second lap...very early in the day and spent rest of the lap shivering cold till got back to camp to change clothes and have a few coffee's....now have decent bruising down left side...elbow and hip area....from falling on the rocks beside the bridge... :eek::rolleyes::D

scotta

Likes Dirt
yer some dude had a bad stack above the car park on the first lap....screams were pretty loud as first aid was being rendered....

and yes i went off max's bridge into the water on my first lap which was our teams second lap...very early in the day and spent rest of the lap shivering cold till got back to camp to change clothes and have a few coffee's....now have decent bruising down left side...elbow and hip area....from falling on the rocks beside the bridge... :eek::rolleyes::D
. i hope you didn't drink any of winmallee's finest .you did know the stp is at the top of springwood road .

Last edited:

bike182mtb

Likes Dirt
snowy the polar bear

the picture of the polarbear .the polar bear name is snowy and belongs to my son .my son is 9 years old and was racing on the day doing 4 laps all around the hour mark . bet he was right at home with the weather on the day [snowny not my son].as it was cold in the morning and in the afternoon .great day and a great race well done to all .a very proud father::D:eek::confused::p:cool:;)

Cap

Likes Dirt
It will definitely be sent, you might have to wait a little while though.

Just wait until everythings back on its feet and online again then start pestering. :)
So when will it "definately be sent"? Nub? I have emailed, left phone message with BOE etc.

Nub

Banned
So when will it "definately be sent"? Nub? I have emailed, left phone message with BOE etc.
I don't know mate, I don't represent BOE or WSMTB in any way, I have no idea whats going on, all I know is that BOE and WSMTB hold to their words and will, eventually, get the money to you.

Don't worry your little self about it. :)

ukalipt

Likes Dirt
arr... i have to admit i was really impressed with the fact your son was racing.
[and snowy's contribution as well].
i have always wondered about what was the youngest competitor at that
kind of race. i really want to see if my boys are interested as well.
they love riding but i was unsure really what is the right age to start them.
i am thinking next year starting them off with the kids racing at WSMTB.
if they aren't into it then thats fine by me, as long as they are happy.

my boys are 5yrs and 6yrs now.

Cap

Likes Dirt
I don't know mate, I don't represent BOE or WSMTB in any way, I have no idea whats going on, all I know is that BOE and WSMTB hold to their words and will, eventually, get the money to you.

Don't worry your little self about it. :)
Well maybe you shouldn't say "you will definately get" something on their behalf. Has absolutely nothing to do with WSMTB either, Just BOE.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
i have always wondered about what was the youngest competitor at that kind of race. i really want to see if my boys are interested as well. they love riding but i was unsure really what is the right age to start them. i am thinking next year starting them off with the kids racing at WSMTB. if they aren't into it then thats fine by me, as long as they are happy.

my boys are 5yrs and 6yrs now.
CHeck out some of these riders - the first 20 or so photos. Lots of kids the same age as yours in there, I suspect.

We have U7 / U9 / U11 categories at our XCO and XCC races (which run on a shorter track and before the main race for XCO). Its mostly about fun at that stage. Then we start the normal XCO courses at U13...

The thing to watch is the ASC guidelines on how long riders should race for, depending on their age. While these are guidelines only, might be difficult to defend if you went way outside them and something happened. Although, its probably fair to say that a lot of the young kids at our races aren't really "racing" either.

MTBA only has rules in place for solo categories at endurance races, and then only for races 4 hours or longer.

For example, at our ACT Schools Champs (25/26 Aug this year at Stromlo), we have rules about how many consecutive laps can be done by the riders in the younger year categories, so they don't overdo themselves.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Eventually BOE do great stuff their events are great. However they have had a bad rep for promising to send you stuff,and it either being delayed or not turning up. Anyone remember how long they waited for their sydney 2007 24 hour shirt?. A mate of mine at that race was given a free MTBA subscription as a prize, details were taken he's name was announced to the crowd but he's still waiting. Again i don't want to bag out BOE too much they do great things without them we would be without nearly all our major enduro events in NSW, but Cap I wouldn't hold my breath if they say they will send something to you.