BMC Working Week Series 2008

bike182mtb

Likes Dirt
both my sons are members of western sydney and the 9yr old has been racing for 5 years .the most important thing is to keep it fun and not make them do any thing they dont want to do.at that race he could do 1 lap or 4 . what ever he wanted .on his last lap he had said to me he was worry about the rain but still want to go out .i said go and if you want to stop half way or when it rains just stop and come back dont worry about finishing the lap.western sydney have u7s and u13 the u7s is all about having a go and do a track about 800m long at the top in full view so they can see mum and dad the whole time. then the u13s .where we do the u turn just near the start they turn there and do the top part of the track .and 2 laps for about 30mins racing.it was about 3 years before he was ready to do the bigger races.he started doing the 1st lap with me that way all other teams had to do 2 laps before he was in there way most times he was finish by then.keep it fun and just get out and ride with them.:)

Nub

Banned
If you're in sydney, and have very little ones, bring them out to MWTMB's short track races, during the summer.

We have a course set up for kids that only involves a little dirt track that is super easy and short!

The little kids track is a little section of a mini moto track, so lots of room for passing and nothing too hard for the little ones, right down to u7's I think!

Last edited:

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Camping at Stromlo

What time do the gates at Stromlo close on Saturday night? I am thinking of arriving in the evening but don't want to have to carry everything in from the road, nor park the car outside the park.

Thanks

ukalipt

Likes Dirt
yeah thanks bike182 and le matelot.
i'm lucky, i live almost at yellowmundee so the boys and i have
been down there a couple of times. once to ride around that
short track and once to watch the 8hr BMC race for a little while,
which they loved and were really interested.

i might try and get them down their for one race to see if they enjoy
it or not. i am almost 100% certain they will, they are always on my
case about going for rides, and love the lawson BMX track. to be honest
they prefer technical than fire trail flat track!

like all kids sports - its about fun - and only fun. i would never
push them to do anything they dont want to. i find myself more telling
them to take it easy rather than pushing them.just call me marlin!

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Working Week 8Hr - Stromlo - 24 Aug 08

Results as at the race finish are attached.

581 riders and 2,345 laps of the course....

Just a couple of "venue" photos are here

Attachments

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Spoonie Sore...

man... you should see the graze down my leg! what a fun (but hurty) race though

Cheers
Gonz

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Spoon Sore

Sore leg? You should rub a little cream into it.

Great track - thanks Steve Hanley and all the other track helpers. Great venue - thanks ACT Government. Great atmosphere - thanks to all the other competitors. Thanks to Stu, Russ, Leanne and all the other organisers too - great event.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, definitely a tops day. Geez I love Stromlo, don't get there enough but when I do, wow.

Great course, great day.

Thanks all!

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey, anyone know who the photographer was at Stromlo yesterday? Think there was someone hanging around the 4X mound just before the tunnel, towards the end of the day.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
man... you should see the graze down my leg! what a fun (but hurty) race though

Cheers
Gonz
You should rub some whipped cream on it.
or didn't you save any of the stuff I gave you?

I just did the math and we were both sitting on 48 min laps.
Did you get caught behind many beginners / newer riders?

lincolnsydney

Likes Dirt
Awesome event! Loved it and am definitely thinking about the 24 hour. If you're looking for a team, let me know!

Anyone know who the other photog was?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I just did the math and we were both sitting on 48 min laps.
well that will learn ya for quitting early. It's not usually untill the 6 hour mark when you really start to sort the men from the boys and placings become of interest!

Did you get caught behind many beginners / newer riders?
Yeah I copped a few, but usually wasn't too bad. There was a bit of a queue up to one of the drop offs on the down hill I actually got of and walked because well, I was stationary just before it anyway. I had one lap towards the end with just about a clean run but usually I caught a few on the way back down, even the first lap! After a couple of laps you should know the track well enough to be able to plan the passing moves anyway *shrug*

Cheers
Gonz - who won't know how borked his hand is till tomorrow

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well that will learn ya for quitting early. It's not usually until the 6 hour mark when you really start to sort the men from the boys and placings become of interest!

Yeah I copped a few, but usually wasn't too bad. There was a bit of a queue up to one of the drop offs on the down hill I actually got of and walked because well, I was stationary just before it anyway. I had one lap towards the end with just about a clean run but usually I caught a few on the way back down, even the first lap! After a couple of laps you should know the track well enough to be able to plan the passing moves anyway *shrug*

Cheers
Gonz
I over took a-lot of people - mostly soloists on one climb, I then had a lady come off in front of me while she was trying to give me room to pass. the 20 or so people i had just over taken then passed me back... oh well.

anyway here's a pic of me turning back as I forgot to put my helmet back on after stopping for a feed.

http://paulbr.smugmug.com/gallery/5782707_ATJw9#357901176_HiXTG

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
altitude training?

It's not usually untill the 6 hour mark when you really start to sort the men from the boys and placings become of interest!
I'm impressed that your lap times didn't blow out at the end, must be all the altitude training?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I'm impressed that your lap times didn't blow out at the end, must be all the altitude training?
Apparantly all I need to do now is shave about 10% off my lap times? :)

Apart from crashing, I had a really good race, was a bit tight early on but felt really strong at about the 4-6 hour mark, didn't have any major issues and felt like I was riding really well technically. I've not really ridden that much since the worlds, in fact one of the first 8hrs this year I've gone into with relatively fresh legs rather than over training before hand. Proabably a mistake I've been making all year actually. Havn't slept for two days because of the crash but c'est la vie :)

...Not as good a race as you though? :)

Thanks to Jason McAvoy for doing bottle handups all day. Given there were barely minutes between the 2 or 3 guys either side of me, really was a huge benefit!

Sydney 12hr here we come!! :)

Cheers
Gonz

ukalipt

Likes Dirt
i'd like to thank bright orange events, BMC, CORC, stromlo management and the ACT government for investing the money into stromlo, and everyone who put on the event.

what you all did on the weekend was quiet amazing. the track was so much more than what i expected. it was purpose built and you could tell. it was amazing how it keep you on your toes all the time but it also didn't nail you so much it became un-comfortable. the weather was a amazing, slightly cold first up in the morning but that just meant for a fresh start. it was pretty much picture perfect all round.

99.99% of the riders that i passed or passed me [a lot more of the later] were such great sports, acknowledging, accepting and courteous. at one point the one of the GU riders [with a couple of others powering along closely behind] went past me, and as they approached i just went straight off into the thickle bush [deliberately], as they passed, they asked if i was ok. little did they know i was pretty much in awe, seeing as i was on my third lap and happy to be still rolling forward. just goes to show even if you are at the top of your field, you can still be courteous rider. much appreciation and respect all round.

again thanks to everyone. just an awesome experience and our team of three are already talking about next year, but we are also into more of the Working Week Series now for sure. this was our first team event, and shamefully BMC WWS is over for this year.

territoryboy

Likes Bikes
stromlo 8hr photos

hi all

i was out there on the awesome sunday it was taking some cool photos

if anyone would like some pics

i am sorry if i didn't get this time but i will try for next time

email me your

name

race no.

jersey and helmet colour

and i will try to get back to you asap