Bowden Spur Kinglake - Shepherds DH trail.

blackmamba

Likes Bikes
such a smooth looking track, that berm round the base of the transmission tower looks magic! Not wrong about the off camber sections. I went arse up walking it! haha Reckon one of the challenges is going to be keeping moto's off it. Only 7 sleeps now

t_byrnz

Likes Dirt
Went for a walk on the new track yesterday. Have to give the thumbs up to the construction team for the quality of the build. I've not seen a track like this in Aus before. It looks crazy fast - almost a downhill BMX track. Not sure how rollable some of the doubles are going to be. Committing and hitting them flat out looks to be the only option (gulp). The off camber stuff looks awesome too.
im getting goose bumps just looking at these pics, frothin to go!!!!!!

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure it hasn't been announced. Wisey said it will be opened soon but depends on the weather, and I honestly don't think that will be for another 2-3 weeks. I am sure Wisey will shed some more accurate light on that soon enough.

Wisey?

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are some final touch ups happening this week and some official business planned for this weekend. Hopefully by sunday or monday there will be a press release announcing the opening of "Shepherds" and I'm 99% sure the following weekend being the QBD w/e the track should be open officially.

Obviously the track will be quite soft and remain pretty damp for most of winter so it's not a great time to open the track, hopefully everyone uses a bit of common sense and stays away when it's really wet. And remember when running shuttles out there it's a public road and needs to be treated as such, we dont want to upset the local constabulary by doing stupid shit either.

Last edited:

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought I should just add this again. There will be some descisions made this weekend as too wether the track is cured enough to be opened and ridden, at this stage it is still quite soft and if we get any more rain (highly likely) the trail will remain closed for an extended period of time for obvious reasons. I know we are all chomping at the bit to ride it, me inc but the last thing we want to do is put massive holes and ruts into a fresh new track.

Please respect what is going on and if it is not open, don't go out there and ride. Once it does open it's going to be there for ever for all to enjoy...be patient my RB friends, it's taken 6 yrs till now, another little bit won't hurt.

You Yangs Ranger

Likes Bikes
Thanks Wisey,

We will keep all informed about the opening on this site, as much as we want to open up, we are also very aware of the potential impacts opening whilst we have the current conditions will have. What we don't want is to open up 'Shepherds', have people enjoy what we have and then have to close it for an extended period for repairs. This is not good for us (Parks Victoria) and not good for riders.

Regards

The other Mark

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After 6 yrs, Shepherds is finally OPEN. We had the privilege of testing it out on the weekend and seeing how it went and rode. Amazing trail with some monsta gaps and hectic off camber, linked with some real fast sections and flow. Still soft and slow in the top section but as it hardens it will become a lot quicker. Official press release to come soon.

[video=youtube;gkr7eBdokP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gkr7eBdokP8[/video]

Edit. Poorly planned by myself as the track is now closed until further notice due to heavy rain all afternoon.

And ENJOY...

Last edited:

crooker

Likes Dirt
Da bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dunndog

Eats Squid
Looks shithouse. How crap are huge berms, sweet gaps and awesome flow. Well done to all involved, can't wait to get out there and give it a beating! ('it' being myself)

crim 87

Likes Dirt
do you reckon just your average dual suspension bike would struggle out there or would you need more of a serious dh set up ??

dunndog

Eats Squid
do you reckon just your average dual suspension bike would struggle out there or would you need more of a serious dh set up ??
what's 'average'? I reckon you could ride it on just about anything, with varying degrees of success and enjoyment. Anything that's too big looks to have a line around it.

This expert opinion is based solely on 2 helmet cam vids I've seen and isn't really worth sheizer.:very_drunk:

Simon.Griggo

Cannon Fodder
Wow, this thread is an awesome read, and the track looks really fun. Well done to the guys who built it and it looks like Yippee got the naming rights. I would like to go ride it, but I don't have a driver. Do you think my Giant Reign will be OK on this track going up and down? I only moved to Melbourne last month from Adelaide, hope to see some of you out there. :very_drunk:

Ruys

Likes Dirt
I've seen plenty of guys riding up the shuttle road. Not my idea of fun but it's definitely doable.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
YES! Gotta get my DH on! Might have to envoke the great Aussie tradition and take a dive from work this week. But the weather doesn't look very good.