Bowden Spur Kinglake - The rebuilding of a new legal DH riding facility.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Things are progressing albeit a little slow. We have a meeting planned next week to sort out a few little issues basically involving the 1st draft "plan" and some other bits and pieces. The re-alignment has been approved, the funding is good to go, we just have to get past a couple of small remaining issues and we really should be ready to start.

This build will be a test to the new way PV will go forward with MTB trail building and legalization so there is a few little things they want us to get right. Not much anyone else can do except hang on and wait.

Sorry I can't be any more specific than that except to say it is going to happen, just be patient.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let the rebuild begin

Some exciting news has come to hand. We have official word that the rebuild is scheduled to start at the end of Oct, start of Nov and hopefully completed by July 2012, all things going to plan, most likely the build will blow out till the end of Winter 2012.

Other news is that we will also be putting in a nice little toilet and car park to tie the whole thing together. IMBA AU has been contracted to help out with some of the finer points of the build and a general oversee of the entire project from start to finish.

So summer 2012/13 we will have a fantastic new venue and track to ride all within 45mins of Melbourne. Who knows, maybe even a scheduled DH race in the VICDH series in the very near future.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congratulations on the hard work of everyone involved Wisey. Good news indeed, even if I only ride xc.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Some exciting news has come to hand. We have official word that the rebuild is scheduled to start at the end of Oct, start of Nov and hopefully completed by July 2012, all things going to plan, most likely the build will blow out till the end of Winter 2012.

Other news is that we will also be putting in a nice little toilet and car park to tie the whole thing together. IMBA AU has been contracted to help out with some of the finer points of the build and a general oversee of the entire project from start to finish.

So summer 2012/13 we will have a fantastic new venue and track to ride all within 45mins of Melbourne. Who knows, maybe even a scheduled DH race in the VICDH series in the very near future.
This is exciting, it's a shame it can't be built through winter. No doubt the conditions up there would play a role in that, as does the availability of the trail builders. I planned to ride KL a lot over summer (no doubt it will be closed), but the pay off will be worth it.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Are there XC tracks around here too (either current or proposed) or is it all DH?
There were xc trails planned in the 'future proposal' by Parks Vic for the KL area that was submitted early last year from memory (but not part of BS rd development)? I remember seeing them in the proposal with the rodie side of things in terms of sustainable revenues of tourism/income from two wheels and what 'would need to developed for the future' of the area.

Hats off to Wisey and his peeps. Ready to build!

Staunch

Eats Squid
Let us know when there's a build day and I'd be more than happy to come down for a dig, need some more sick tracks closer to the CBD :)

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whilst the enthusiasm to come and help out is great and really appreciated, things have changed since we originally started to work on this project. Initially the whole thing would have been built specifically with volunteer labour due to the fact we had next to no funding. Now, fortunately we have a budget to work with and have contracted and partnered with several different groups who will be invovled in the project and construction on some what of a full time basis.

This doesn't mean we won't need some volunteers from time to time to help out with the huge list of things that will need doing, it just means we will be utilizing volunteers less than originally planned.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So it has been a while and we have had some exciting changes come to light, we are now closer than ever to getting this thing going, as a matter of fact the toilet construction will be starting later this week and fininshed within the next 2 weeks and the carpark will be underway as well.

All I can say at this stage is that Parks Vic, IMBA AU, World Trail and The YYMTB Inc will all be involved in this project and it WILL be ready for use by the middle of 2012 and primmed for summer 12/13. Get excited cause soon we'll have an awesome new DH trail with over 220m of vertical really close to Melbourne for everyone to enjoy.

Stay tuned, more details to come.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
This is the first I have heard out this. Bloody fantastic.

I was there last week and saw the toilet block, and thought, wow, something's going on here. But it was still behind an electric fence :p

Anyway, there haven't been any changes to the track yet from what I can tell.

I would love to help out if needed.

Last edited: