Bowden Spur Kinglake - The rebuilding of a new legal DH riding facility.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Looks like a lot of the original lines are being utilised and re-cut (big time) as per pre fires (minus the huge fallen over tree that made up multiple lines/gaps in top section).
Great work to all involved and it looks real fast! Hope the mid to bottom section is shown such love? Thanks to all involved!

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I went out yesterday for a proper look and check in with progress and left there totally amped with the feel and direction of what Rhys, Brett, Ben and WT had achieved. I gotta say Rhys is a master on that machine, his work is super clean, quick and really imaginative. He has used the terrain as best he can and I can't wait to get a chance to ride it.

The top section (Huxs pics don't do it justice) is pretty amazing and probably could best be described as a DH Moto style track with a shit load of flow and some pretty big floaty DH jumps, maybe 6 or 7 jumps in total and the last one probably 35ft plus but all roll-able and very easy to go round with no risk taken. They will require some good speed and technique to clear and most riders will have to work up to the bigger ones which I think will make the track a great challenge for everyone.

They are half way through the second open section and as we only have half of what we originally thought we would have due to some private land issues he has made it as good as possible with some real fast tech off cambers and rolly type stuff, it'll have a differnet personality to the top and as we get further down you will see more rock come into the track and the personality change again.

All in all I'm excited with what has been done, it will be a truely unique track for Vic and maybe even the country. The opening will be sometime early June so not long away at all and believe me you'll all be pretty happy to be able to call this new trail your local. Rumour has it there may even be a race there as early as next VDHS.

In regards to the pump track question, there is plans for one of those down the track as well as a short flowy type XC/AM trail below the carpark and what seems to have gone over most peoples head is a second DH trail down the RHS of the road, all of these things have been approved and all this will become clearer when the Park signage goes in. For those that were concerned with the tyre marks, it was Rhys having a roll and he will continue to roll the track to make sure it all works so that is good news that no one is out there removing barricades to ride the unfinished trail. But please, if you are thinking of taking your bike out there, stay off it until it is officially open.

Get amped people, not long now.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
some pretty big floaty DH jumps, maybe 6 or 7 jumps in total and the last one probably 35ft plus but all roll-able and very easy to go round with no risk taken. They will require some good speed and technique to clear and most riders will have to work up to the bigger ones which I think will make the track a great challenge for everyone..
Ah cool, this is something that's lacking in more than a few tracks, many tracks lack progressive jumps and features which makes it hard to progress your skills. Its fine if your already able to clear anything and everything, but for people like me who haven't ridden in 5-6 years, many tracks are either to easy or to hard.

Looking forward to opening day!

t_byrnz

Likes Dirt
question

looks great guys keep up the great work and cant wait to give the new track a go :)

Last edited:

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick update.

The trail looks amazing, it is sure to be a unique track that will be really fast and flowy. Nothing else like it, certainly in Vic anyway. They have gone over and above our request for jumps with possibly 12-15 really decent size gaps, hips and step downs to keep us all entertained with the first 20ft gap being a qualifier only 100m from the start ramp. So, its time to get your jump on...

The track itself is very close to being finished, it more or less is as they have made it out the bottom with maybe a few touch ups to come. It will need a couple of weeks to just sit and bed in a little before the hoards of riders start to ride it. The final infrastructure is now being completed, inc all the signage, finishing the start ramp, putting in bollards, trenches and rocks to stop all the 4WDs from driving up the access roads and a general clean up and prep.

There has been a clown riding up and down the track on a moto which is pretty frustrating so the trail will be completely shut down for the next 4 wks to not only stop them riding it but to keep the keen MTB riders from jumping in early. At this stage we are on track for an opening in roughly 4 weeks, the official opening date should be made public at some stage this week.

As more news or info comes to hand I will keep you all informed. Be patient, we've waited this long and we're nearly there.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Is it my imagination or has a page (or some posts) been removed from this thread? I could have sworn that I saw a post saying that the track was officially open yesterday and a link to a different video of the (awesome) new track.

I can understand that an opening may have been retracted due to all the rain and the potential to ruin all that good work.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it my imagination or has a page (or some posts) been removed from this thread? I could have sworn that I saw a post saying that the track was officially open yesterday and a link to a different video of the (awesome) new track.

I can understand that an opening may have been retracted due to all the rain and the potential to ruin all that good work.
There is two threads :p
Confused the shit out of me for a while as well.
Keen to hit up this track when your aloud to ride it!

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just in case you haven't seen this post in the DH setion.

Shepherds downhill mountain bike trail in Kinglake National Park will be closed for the remainder of winter to prevent long term damage to the trail.

Parks Victoria are disappointed to have to close the trail so soon after announcing its opening, but this is the best thing to do, both for the safety of riders and to protect the condition of the trail.

The trail was opened on 2 June and since then many enthusiastic and experienced downhill riders and have enjoyed riding it.

As the trail is only recently completed it requires time to ‘cure’ to ensure that it does not become rutted and extensively damaged by bike traffic.

If we continue to allow riders on the trail over winter the damage to trail will become so significant that it will require large scale repairs over an extended closure period, as well as presenting a danger to riders.

Parks Victoria and the company that constructed the trail, World Trail, have inspected the trail before making this decision.

We appreciate that the MTB community have been keen to ride the newest downhill trail in Victoria but ask that everyone respects this closure as a short term wait will result in safe and enjoyable riding for the longer term.

The track is expected to open after the end of Winter once the ground has dried out further. To stay up to date with the expected opening date as the time gets closer please go to the Kinglake National Park page at www.parks.vic.gov.au or call 13 1963.

HimynameisMike

Likes Dirt
understandable but such a shame! I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but from what i've seen looks awesome. Suppose this is just another thing to look forward to once winters over.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Nice effort to those who were up at KL today ripping apart the new trail.
You rock big time.
Did you see them or just their trail of destruction? Wankers. some people just think it's their god given right to do whatever the fuck they want without thought for others or anything but themselves.