Bruce Ridge ACT

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Yeah, the berm looks fine, and the hole with a couple of big rocks in it is still up the top.

Also didn't get time to restack the logs, seeing as this arvo's storm was on the way and I didn't fancy being out there in the middle of it! :)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Wow, this is really entertaining. He shifted rocks in to the holes I dug.

Reckon he came in with a bush saw and cut them off at the ground.

Silly boy, if only he realised that he's just wasting his time.

Klips

Likes Dirt
The anger that's been transferred in to that star picket is pretty impressive - would have paid to have seen him hanging off those stumps, those bad boys aren't going anywhere.
Twisted picket has had the end knocked off, as has the other, and both were hidden in the bush. The logs which were dug in have gone and the whole thing smoothed over. It's a shame when people budget in time to fix this on their ride home, isn't it?

Thingymabob

Likes Bikes
Pile of logs is untouched as at 1910. I found the two buried logs about 20m down the hill. They were intact, so whoever is doing this must be a reasonble size to pull them out of the ground.

Added another 50kg of rocks to the pile for good measure.

advanti

Squid
Don't let this prick beat you guys! Hopefully somebody catches him on the tail one day and gives him a gobfull and suggest he changes sports to strongest man alive competitions!

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Suggestion - bury stumps in as was done before, but cut them off 20-30cm above ground level. Arseclown/s is probably using the height above ground to allow him to kick the exposed area enough to loosen its hold enough to pull it out. Cutting them off lower to the ground will mean that kicking the exposed timber does nothing but hurt him.

Yes, they may bring a saw along next time...but at least you've forced the dickhead to ride with a bush saw in their kit!

nak

Likes Bikes
Culprit caught in the ACT

Got Him.

3pm this afternoon happenend accross the trail vandal busy throwing everything down the hill.

When questioned as to what he was doing - he explained that he was a 'clearing a line that I built twenty years ago'. When pressed as to why he kept throwing everything away including signs explaining why the closure was necessary, or why he doesnt contact the trail building crew - his reponse was I don't care about signs and why should I talk to a a bunch of Torie trail builders!

He objected to me then taking his photo, but I explained that as he's in a public place wrecking public trails I'm more than entitled to take his photo. He didn't like that and left in a hurry, screaming to a passing jogger that he was being harrased by me.

He was pretty good at covering his face so unfortunately no clear face pics, but the Canberra Mtn biking community is not that big, hopefully someone can recognise him - he was probably in his late late 40's to mid 50's (maybe older), grey hair, clean shaven, yellow jersey, billabong boardies, chest go pro, light mount on his helmet - see pics below

Spread these pics far and wide amongst your networks, lets find out who this muppet is - there's a few people who want to have a longer chat to this guy, including the Government Land Manager.

Last edited:

Kramer

FoBR
Awesome work catching this clown in the act! I would not have been as restrained as you (we would probably have a new berm or roller shaped like this guy).

If anyone knows this guy tell him he does not own Bruce Ridge, and stop vandalising the trails. Also, he should expect a please explain from ACT Parks & Conservation Services and/or the police.

nzdans

Likes Dirt
Certainly looks a bit special!

Top work on getting the shots and confronting the loser. I reckon I'll take my GoPro on the next few rides at the Ridge (chest mounted set to take shitloads of photos) in case I bump into him however imagine he'll get the idea he's being sprung already so might lower his profile.

May have to ride solo as the GF will probably high 5 him; she loved that short cut :moony: oh well.

Prizes for creative guesses at what this dude's sporting in the front of his shirt :noidea:

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Prizes for creative guesses at what this dude's sporting in the front of his shirt :noidea:
Ha, I was wondering the same! Actual riding gloves, instead of his 'fuck the trail' gloves?

Top work catching this tool in the act. He's got a pretty distinctive setup going there...hopefully it's not long until he's named and shamed.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Great work Nak. Might be worth passing this around bike stores too, seeing if anyone has serviced that bike recently and recognises the owner. Can't be too many trek fuel EXs with crossmarks and kashima coat forks, DRCV can being ridden by old blokes. If he dug the trail 20 years ago then surely people who've been around forever would recognise him too.

FWIW, I'm actually loving this. I haven't had this much fun since I was playing Ingress, although that involved a lot more time in the car, but the principle is the same. Try to hold the portal (or in this case shortcut) for your side for as long as possible. As someone who works in accounting, this has also allowed me to have fun with my creative side, as per today's efforts (when I didn't know the guy had been caught) which are more architectural. I'll get a photo up if I can get the damn thing to work, having bulk tech issues today.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Careful of slander guys.
I'd let it rest now, he should hopefully back off now. Although I do have slight consern a of dangerous revenge sabotage. Although he's not wrecked anyone else's trail work.
i couldn't see any sign of an old track when I first log blockaded that shortcut forming as it looked very fresh two years ago. Could be wrong, but there was grass and vegetation there. Otherwise I could sympathize with him a touch.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Top work Nak. Not the image of a man I was expecting. And as for "I made this trail 20 years ago" and "Tories", FUCKING LOL!!!

Kramer

FoBR
We have identified the trail vandal and have provided his details to the authorities. Thanks all for your assistance.

If anyone is keen to legally work on trails at Bruce Ridge, the next working bee is 22 March.