Bruce Ridge ACT

Klips

Likes Dirt
If identifying a person sabotaging trails and, instead of taking matters into our own hands, passing their details to the appropriate authorities for a measured response in line with the law is a 'low' then it's one I can definitely deal with.

Vigilantism would have been if someone acted on it, but thankfully (to my knowledge) no one has.

Thanks for yet another positive and well informed contribution to the thread, flags :)

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Calling the police can be seen as a form of bullying to get your way.
I'd have liked to have seen it dealt with differently.
Staining a dudes legal name is pretty harsh especially after a public shaming that probably would have set him anyway.
Anyway, what's done is done.

Yep well, those images posted of the dude on a public forum is someone acting on it. This is an act of vigilantism. The images should have been sent straight to the authorities.

Perhaps if FOBR tried to engage with the community, this may have been avoided. But I still don’t think FOBR gets what engagement means.

In the meantime, I’d encourage the person who posted the images to take them down.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Yep well, those images posted of the dude on a public forum is someone acting on it. This is an act of vigilantism. The images should have been sent straight to the authorities.

Perhaps if FOBR tried to engage with the community, this may have been avoided. But I still don’t think FOBR gets what engagement means.

In the meantime, I’d encourage the person who posted the images to take them down.
Now that sounds threatening..... I see a ban coming your way soon..... I flag you as inappropriate :usa2:!

scblack

Leucocholic
Calling the police can be seen as a form of bullying to get your way.

Staining a dudes legal name is pretty harsh especially after a public shaming that probably would have set him anyway.
Sorry but rubbish.

This guy was sabotaging legally sanctioned work, in a sensitive parkland environment. He did that sabotage illegally, without consultation, against the wishes of the responsible authority(ies). And did this Repeatedly. If he had done it once you could accept that he did not know what was at stake. After repeated sabotage and destroying of signage its clear he has no interest in the correct manner of dealing with this.

Taking legal action, or as in this case notifying the police, is appropriate in this case, I feel.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

It is you, isn't it?

Klips

Likes Dirt
Just two more things:
A) no one has specified which authorities, the only one named to date is the land manager. Police may decline to get involved, particularly due to lack of evidence (because it's literally one person's word that he did it).
B) no outcome has been recorded, it's most likely (because this is Canberra) that he'll get a talking to and the old not to do it again. That won't end in anything more than a fine which won't harm his legal standing as it's not a conviction, and I doubt Parks would even bother as, once again, there's no evidence beyond photos showing he was there.

nak

Likes Bikes
Pics have been removed, not as the result from any comments on here, but for the fact they had served their purpose.

This comment hits the nail on the head.

This guy was sabotaging legally sanctioned work, in a sensitive parkland environment. He did that sabotage illegally, without consultation, against the wishes of the responsible authority(ies). And did this Repeatedly. If he had done it once you could accept that he did not know what was at stake. After repeated sabotage and destroying of signage its clear he has no interest in the correct manner of dealing with this.
Actions such as that of this individual, have the potential to jeopardise the whole future of single track trails in Nature reserves in the ACT. Bruce is first NR where this approach has been taken, and as such is the testing ground for the vialbility/sustainabilty of MTB trails in Conservation Reserves. This model is being is being watched very closely. Repeatedly reopening closed shortcuts, which have been very clearly signposted as to the reason for the closure, is in an incredibly selfish act which put's at risk a resource which used and enjoyed by literally hundreds of riders every week.

Last edited:
Actions such as that of this individual, have the potential to jeopardise the whole future of single track trails in Nature reserves in the ACT. Bruce is first NR where this approach has been taken, and as such is the testing ground for the vialbility/sustainabilty of MTB trails in Conservation Reserves. This model is being is being watched very closely. Repeatedly reopening closed shortcuts, which have been very clearly signposted as to the reason for the closure, is in an incredibly selfish act which put's at risk a resource which used and enjoyed by literally hundreds of riders every week.
I agree with you on this, it needs to be done right. My comments about FOBR needing to improve community engagement remain.

I suggest however you obtain some real numbers, some facts, before making statements like "hundreds of riders every week". Such numbers may also help FOBR focus their trail maintenance efforts.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Why then, would you be so concerned as to ask that the images be removed?
I was possibly the first to blockade this short cut, possibly not, but I did a few years ago, I will ask though,
Please remove the images. I think it's a dirty way of dealing with this. Especially if authorities have now been contacted. I would not be surprised if it was illegal or a form of slander persuadable by legal actions also.
I suggest however you obtain some real numbers, some facts, before making statements like "hundreds of riders every week". Such numbers may also help FOBR focus their trail maintenance efforts.
there would easily be hundreds of riders a week there. Maybe not hundreds of different users, but the track gets ridden hundreds of time a week for sure. I've never seen less than five people an hour when riding there.

Last edited: