Bruce Ridge ACT

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Not sure about "rules" on a sign. Seems a bit nanny state. Making someone more liable with your ideals. I think that's silly and biast. If your going up a track that's obviously fun to come down, your probably going the wrong way ;-)
Please take your rubbish with you. Respect the hard work of trail builders and land care managers play safe and be cool please. That's it for a sign IMO.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I actually agree with Flag given they are not actually rules.

The problem with BR is that usage is getting pretty high - I've been riding those trails around 2-3 times a week for 3.5 years now and in that time I've seen a pretty significant increase of users on the trails (even night riding I come across many other night riders and night joggers).

We're not at the stage where we need rules but we are at the point where some level of coordination of the masses is required. NSM, I've had one head on and countless near misses in the last 6 months, shit's getting hectic up there. If a basic culture can be set I think it will actually save the need for making "rules". The weather is going to warm up from here on in and numbers on the Ridge will increase.

Also, just taking actions like this lets cats know that the days of abandon are over. There's a section of track where I clock over 30kph but I've backed off on that now to about 27 because the likelihood of some one around the next bend has just become too high. I want to get back to hitting 30+ but a level of coordination is required to make that happen....., and sight lines, which I'm more than happy to take responsibility for in the future.

So yeah, I don't really want to go nanny state either, but the other option is doing nothing until some cat ends up in hospital with head injuries from a head on and at that point the ACT govt will step in and make the decisions for us and that's what we do not want.

Work with what you've got.

Last edited:

nak

Likes Bikes
I actually agree with Flag given they are not actually rules.

Yep, not enforcable rules by any means, just suggestions on how to make the place work for everyone. BR is used by a lot of casual riders who probably havn't ridden much before and bit of info on what is to be expected by all users when riding the trails would be a good thing.

No Skid Marks

You raise some good points Johnny and Nak.
its not up to me, but I'd suggest controlling riders and direction by track design. Put in random but obvious steps to stop riding a certain direction. Make them in sets of three a perfect bike wheelbase apart so riding up them is a PITA, or put them in spots to slow people down. It's pretty easy to make features to control people's speed and braking. Test ride and adjust. Corners can also be adjusted a touch to make them suit climbing or decending more. Maybe try the signage for direction. it would make track designing and work easier. will upset some at first but it seems anything will. Anyway I've voiced my pointing enough. Hope I can make the next working bee to help out and show my appreciation.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Just got back from a pedal on the Ridge after a 2 week rain/work break.

Wow, they were not kidding when they said they were going to close trails off. The north side near Calvary has been massacred.

Congestion is going to be out of control in the warmer months if new trails aren't opened up.

Has there ever been any consideration of the trails being extended to O'Connor Ridge to disperse some of the load? The trails there are pretty average and sparse, maybe some work there could lighten the load on BR, especially given that the number of trails are shrinking.

Such a pity, they were great sections near Calvary.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Next working bee is currently scheduled for 19 July.
That's next Saturday! I like digging trails, and riding bikes, rather than whinging on the internet :whistle:

On a more serious note, it would be great if people could bring secateurs as there's a lot of bits on the new mandatory route with low visibility, and the wattle at the bottom of pub run needs chopping too to prevent accidents (almost got cleaned up there). Sadly I am like Johnny and don't have my own tools due to #apartmentlyf or I would go out and do it myself. Also, if someone has a spray can to point out the new trail I expect we're digging so it gets ridden that would be ace.

As an aside: if it's cancelled, shall we tentatively book a coffee/shit talking session at 39 steps? I figure if we're up and out we may as well put faces to internet names.

Kramer

FoBR
Sat 19 July Working Bee

Date: Saturday 19 July 2014
Time: 8am-12pm
Meeting Location: At the gate near O’Connor caravan park - Kunzea Street, just off Dryandra Street (N8 on the old Bruce Ridge map).
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, shovels and leaf rakes (we now have a few spares too!).
As usual, please bring food, water, weather appropriate clothing, eye protection, gloves and sturdy footwear.
Planned work Areas:
Hope the weather is kinder to us this month... This working bee should be the last big section of trail to be cut in at Bruce! We will be building a new section just above the caravan park to complete the outer loop - parallel to Bruce Pipeline Track (J7-N6).

We will go ahead rain, hail or snow, but are not permitted to work if there are strong winds due to the risk of falling trees and branches.
Any last minute updates will be posted on the FoBR Twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/FoBruceRidge

As per last time, I'll be at the meeting point if it's on or off (to let people know), so if it is cancelled again I'm happy to go for coffee.
Klips - I haven't been to 39 Steps before - do they tolerate muddy mountain bikers / trail diggers?

Thanks all for the tons of comments above - I'll have a read when I get a minute (have just had 9 days with no home internet - thanks iiNet!!!)

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I have a can of spray paint I can bring, although it's not one of those upside-down-spray cans, just the normal type.

Are secateurs mandatory, can we not just snap the branches off where necessary?

If 39 Steps has a spot where I can lock my bike up (and preferably keep it in view) then I'll be up for a coffee should the wind again thwart our plans.

Klips

Likes Dirt
There is a couple of things you can lock bikes too which are good, those solid tree-circling wrought iron things. They have outdoor tables, or indoor ones where you won't be able to see your bike - not sure how they would treat mud but I think the chairs inside are wooden so they should be fine?

Secateurs are a suggestion only, based on a the volume of foliage branching over the trails.

I sadly won't be there, I got a late invitation to a wedding for the morning. Hopefully for all involved the weather is sunny!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
the forcast is fine, clear and sunny..so should be cold wet and windy, just like the previous 5 weekends!...damn Canberra weather

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm rrunning a few mins late - will be there in 15 - if you're not at the gate I'll come fine y'all on the trail

Kramer

FoBR
Great turnout today with some new faces, and an awesome effort to build 700m of new trail. The new trail above the caravan park is named "Justin Time" after former FoBR Justin Lenehan who passed away at the Marathon Champs just over two years ago. Hopefully the trail is nicely flowy when ridden west to east. Will probably need a few tweaks, but get out there and ride it now.

I look forward to checking out the new trail.

Was there any discussion about Bruce Ridge riders code?

Great turnout today with some new faces, and an awesome effort to build 700m of new trail. The new trail above the caravan park is named "Justin Time" after former FoBR Justin Lenehan who passed away at the Marathon Champs just over two years ago. Hopefully the trail is nicely flowy when ridden west to east. Will probably need a few tweaks, but get out there and ride it now.

Rookie

Likes Dirt
I think it rides better the other direction. eg, Anti clockwise loop of Bruce ridge.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If I'm reading you right that's the way it was designed - to be ridden from west to east.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Initially I thought the new trail sucked, but it was because I haven't ridden new trail before. Now that it's not so damn slow from people riding it in it's starting to get fun. The big off-camber left hander (riding west-east) certainly makes things interesting!

Kramer

FoBR
FoBR Sun 31 August Working Bee

You guys have been busy on this thread while I've been working on my roof and hosting parties for my kids! I'll follow up on some of the comments when I get a sec. In the meanwhile, the next working bee has been locked in!

Date: Sunday 31 August 2014
Time: 8am-12pm
Meeting Location: At the carpark on Dryandra Street (Q6 on the old Bruce Ridge map).
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, shovels and leaf rakes.
As usual, please bring food, water, weather appropriate clothing, eye protection, gloves and sturdy footwear.
Planned work Areas:
Eastern edge of the ridge to tweak "Justin Time" (new caravan park trail) and fix/realign the link from the end of the new trail under the power lines.

Any last minute updates due to strong winds (or total fire ban!) will be posted on the FoBR Twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/FoBruceRidge

No Skid Marks

Johnny can you call me to remind me this is on this time. I missed the last one for no reason but my own forgetfulness.