Project Build Hambo a bike (2nd go)

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Ok let's try and build Hambo a bike again! I'm not against the idea but I don't want it to turn into a nightmare when I could have simply 'bought a bike'.

Here's a link to an Airtable spreadsheet I've created with the Ragley Big Al spec.

The frame only option is $450 and I really like this frame as it's cheaper, solid, good geo etc so unless someone has a Paradox V3 for $500, then I'm sticking with that!

The idea is to see if I can spec a bike that will last me and improve upon the original spec.

Budget: $2,000
Timeframe: Middle of August
Saved so far: $1,520

Let me know if I've missed any parts.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
build a solid base with new(frame/forks/contact points) and go 2nd hand with the rest, upgrade as parts fall off or funds allow
+1 on this idea. Good used stuff can be ace and save heaps of cash. That’s what I did with my Prime and I’ve been slowly upgrading as bargains pop up. New chain, cassette, tyres, grips and cables are a must. The rest can be used and work perfectly fine for ages.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ditch those recon. Steel uppers will cause you tears. Just don't do it.

Also any flexibility on 29/27.5?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My opinion would be frame, fork and brakes get the bulk of the budget.
Rest can be sourced very cheaply second hand, but I still fear the $2k budget won’t cut it.

I’d keep an eye on a second hand complete for $16-1800 and then buy the frame you want to swap parts over. I’ve seen some Norco Torrents or similar around for that pricing

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
My opinion would be frame, fork and brakes get the bulk of the budget.
Rest can be sourced very cheaply second hand, but I still fear the $2k budget won’t cut it.

I’d keep an eye on a second hand complete for $16-1800 and then buy the frame you want to swap parts over. I’ve seen some Norco Torrents or similar around for that pricing
I'm not compromising on the frame btw, a Ragley Big Al. It's $450!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could save $$ by
  • going for a non boost fork and wheel up front. Lost floating around the seconds market and clearance bins
  • Run a normal seat post instead if a dropper to get the bike up and running. Dropper can come later and you can still drop the post for a descent
  • Cycling deal has some cheap wheels
  • micro shift advent drive train and second hand cranks
  • Handle bars and stems are always selling second hand unless you are really picky about what you want.
I would also go minion Tyres over the recons as they are a pretty good all round tyre.