Project Build Hambo a bike (2nd go)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The Recon are what comes with the fully built bike, I listed them as a guide to see if I can build with better components than that.
I see them on a lot of low spec bikes. I've never used them, so no idea about performance, but...steel stanchions and living on the coast (you are in Cairns yeah?) is a bad idea. I and a few friends ran RS domains a long time ago and we all scored surface rust without there being any obvious issue with the coating. Sure that was a whole ago and the tech had improved and maybe it isn't a potential issue anymore. But...forks are too expensive to take that risk for me.

RS can't be saving that much money to make it worthwhile? I reckon it is a deliberate planned obsolescence.

Also there is currently a lot of wheels on sale at cycling deal, many with novatec hubs. The custom build could be a reality if you score frame fork and wheel for a good price. You are100% against 27.5? How big of a rear cassette do you want?

Scotty675

Cable thief
I would also be splashing the cash on a decent fork and wheels. The other items such as dropper, seat, stems bars etc can all be sourced cheap and upgraded latter on. Get the bones right and work on the plastic surgery latter.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
You could save $$ by
  • going for a non boost fork and wheel up front. Lost floating around the seconds market and clearance bins
  • Run a normal seat post instead if a dropper to get the bike up and running. Dropper can come later and you can still drop the post for a descent
  • Cycling deal has some cheap wheels
  • micro shift advent drive train and second hand cranks
  • Handle bars and stems are always selling second hand unless you are really picky about what you want.
I would also go minion Tyres over the recons as they are a pretty good all round tyre.
Those are really solid suggestions! I can indeed go for a solid seat post to start with and save for something special like a Bike Yoke :)

I'm based in Cairns so it's mostly hardpack, some rock and very little mud. No one seems to know the ideal tyre for Cairns riding!

HamboCairns

I see them on a lot of low spec bikes. I've never used them, so no idea about performance, but...steel stanchions and living on the coast (you are in Cairns yeah?) is a bad idea. I and a few friends ran RS domains a long time ago and we all scored surface rust without there being any obvious issue with the coating. Sure that was a whole ago and the tech had improved and maybe it isn't a potential issue anymore. But...forks are too expensive to take that risk for me.

RS can't be saving that much money to make it worthwhile? I reckon it is a deliberate planned obsolescence.

Also there is currently a lot of wheels on sale at cycling deal, many with novatec hubs. The custom build could be a reality if you score frame fork and wheel for a good price. You are100% against 27.5? How big of a rear cassette do you want?
I'm not 100% against 650b, it's just what I have now and a lot of people say that 29ers are ideal for hardcore hardtails and I fancied a change!

Rear cassette I'm looking at 11sp 11-46 with 30T chainset.

HamboCairns

Have you thought of going non-boost for the fork and front wheel?

As far as building on a budget goes, there are some amazing non-boost forks out there for an absolute pinch because of the fact they are "non-boost" that will perform a million times better than a Recon could ever hope to. Lets face it, if you're going on a hardtail (instead of a full rigid) you don't want to skimp on the fork because you ride the shit out of them.

The same logic applies for wheels.
I guess once I go non boost on the front then that's what I'll have for a long while. That said, will I really notice boost vs non-boost? Probably not!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I'm based in Cairns so it's mostly hardpack, some rock and very little mud. No one seems to know the ideal tyre for Cairns riding!
Minion dhf on the front and minion ss for rear.
Sorted!
And yep, you won’t notice boost over no -boost.

HamboCairns

Well if anyone wants to post links to stuff they've seen so I can collate quickly and put offers in that would be lovely!

Brow

Big Block
Looking forward to this project. Looks like you are doing plenty of research @Hambo. I like the set budget, measure twice and cut once attitude.
I have a Dartmoor Hornet new frame hanging in the shed waiting for me to decide a similar setup. I am not setting a budget but also do not have a timeline.

Question for others - what would be considered the best Value fork for this type of build? Budget nice but long lasting/least issues new?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Really? I'm only saying that from someone who's best bike is XC30 fork and a non boost fork.
You will see much greater gains from a good sturdy fork than from boost. As others have said, 35mm stanchion or bigger and some forks have more meat to the crown and more overlap in the bushings leading to less flex and twist in the fork itself.