Building wooden jumps

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
The plywood splits when you place them on the grass, I actually put another piece of timbre under the ramp at the start to make it stronger and cut it at an angle.
I got you now. I'm planning on using some hardwood pallets that have 20mm slats on them. Nice and solid.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well...1 pallet wide and 2 pallets long should be easy to achieve. Get some 2x4 pieces and run them the full length to keep it structurally sound.

I love roll overs...last trail building day here was all "people need to be able to roll over these..." fuck me. That shit just results in features that nobody enjoys - too steep, too flat, eroded, chunked, and poorly maintained. But common sense wasn't the order of the day - build the rookie line "on line" with the direction of the trail, put up a sign or three, and put the expert line in a position that you have to go out of your way to hit it...The dirt jumps at hornsby (old man's Valley) have really nailed this concept well.
It's not good when they remove jumps and replace them with doubles on every trail though. Nanny State X 10.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just what I was thinking. 700mm high a good start?
I'd be less worried about the height and more focussed on getting the angle right. But 500-1000mm is a good window to aim for. It really depends on how brave your victim is, the height will form a mental barrier for them more than any actual risk.

With flow riders comment about the ply cracking, that's not been my experience. But you could use a slat from a hard wood pallet for the first section of the ramp to reduce the issue.

DMan

I'd be less worried about the height and more focussed on getting the angle right. But 500-1000mm is a good window to aim for. It really depends on how brave your victim is, the height will form a mental barrier for them more than any actual risk.

With flow riders comment about the ply cracking, that's not been my experience. But you could use a slat from a hard wood pallet for the first section of the ramp to reduce the issue.
Using 1m length pallets so the face would be 2m. If I make it 70om high it's an angle of only 20 degrees. Angle increases by 3 degrees for every 100mm of height. So 1m high would be 30 degrees

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
IMHO its best to start not too high or too steep less than 30 degrees is fine.
You dont need a wide wooden take off but a wide dirt landing will give you confidence .
Then move the take off back and higher as you get confidence thats what I did years ago.
If your back yard isnt flat put the takeoff up hill of the landing.
The steeper the take off the steeper the landing needs to be.
The take off should be longer than the wheel base of the bike.

Flow-Rider

Burner
IMHO its best to start not too high or too steep less than 30 degrees is fine.
You dont need a wide wooden take off but a wide dirt landing will give you confidence .
Then move the take off back and higher as you get confidence thats what I did years ago.
If your back yard isnt flat put the takeoff up hill of the landing.
The steeper the take off the steeper the landing needs to be.
The take off should be longer than the wheel base of the bike.
You're meant to jump in an arc, so basically where your front wheel hits first your back should hit later on in the same spot on the landing ramp as the bike is moving along. The problem is matching the perfect run in speeds into the booster so it's best to have more speed than needed than not enough on a gap jump or you will case the jump big time. So now if you over shoot the lander and it's at 60 degrees, the same as your booster you will miss the high part of the lander by a long shot and most likely get thrown over the bars, hence you use less of a slope on the lander so you have some room for error and have some control to push down on into the landing ramp rather than rely on luck.

Probably not going to be critical with a short jumps at 30 degrees but once you get into high speed gaps with 45 or more you're going to know about when you over shoot and you have a short ramp.
kicker.jpg

jumpproper.jpg

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm going to need to see some videos/photos of you putting this theory into action before I commit to trying a big jump.

Nick 77

Squid
Remember you can always build more ramps, in many ways experimentation translates to understanding the language of the perfect transition.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I remember. It was good. But the crowd want bigger! Get some red bull and set bike for SEND!
I don't get paid like red bull riders nor do I have good insurance for when things go bad but I have done larger jumps not the red bull sort of coarse.

Lots of ways to make a jump but you tend to make it as safe as you can for a beginner, it can all go wrong so easy and fast.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
for when things go bad
Well not with that kind of attitude...

You're right about making it easy and not scary for the rookies. I had one tamp that was essentially just a legless n'shore ladder that could he set to whatever height suited up to about knee height (this also doubled as the ramp that could be set up for stupid things), then there was a few ramps of different height above that.

DMan

You're meant to jump in an arc, so basically where your front wheel hits first your back should hit later on in the same spot on the landing ramp as the bike is moving along. The problem is matching the perfect run in speeds into the booster so it's best to have more speed than needed than not enough on a gap jump or you will case the jump big time. So now if you over shoot the lander and it's at 60 degrees, the same as your booster you will miss the high part of the lander by a long shot and most likely get thrown over the bars, hence you use less of a slope on the lander so you have some room for error and have some control to push down on into the landing ramp rather than rely on luck.

Probably not going to be critical with a short jumps at 30 degrees but once you get into high speed gaps with 45 or more you're going to know about when you over shoot and you have a short ramp.
View attachment 344674

View attachment 344673
That's why I like the idea of both being movable as overshooting or casing are I reckon my biggest fears when it comes to jumping. Most of the time you never need the speed you think you do to clear a gap, IMO, but it's still a mental game. So low angles and long takeoff and landings. Like was said, I can always modify them as we go along, but it's paramount that it's fun not intimidating. Hence the 2m takeoff and maybe even longer landing. Might go 3 pallets....
All on video of course. Beers after. Fuck drinking Redbull. Fizzy Vics formula cough syrup.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want to build 2 wooden jumps that are movable around the back yard for a pump track style thing I want to start. The aim is to put them together as a "bridge" so to speak but then slowly separate them into a gap as my partner, mates and I get more confident. My thought on the upramp is something mellow. 30 degree takeoff with a height of about 70cm and a 2m ramp surface that's 1.2 wide. Can I build the same for the down? Except I'll make it 2.4m wide. Or should I make it longer or different in some way? Or should I make the down ramp a permanent dirt ramp?
If there's a link here because it's all been discussed can someone throw it up for me??
All that matters is lip radius. For a beginner jump at daily low speed, make sure it’s at least 2.8m. The lip height will determine release angle.

With the dimensions you’re suggesting, I’d say go with a 3.2m radius, and a lip height of abound 1.2 to 1.5m. That’ll provide a mellow confidence inspiring jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMan

All that matters is lip radius. For a beginner jump at daily low speed, make sure it’s at least 2.8m. The lip height will determine release angle.

With the dimensions you’re suggesting, I’d say go with a 3.2m radius, and a lip height of abound 1.2 to 1.5m. That’ll provide a mellow confidence inspiring jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They'll be flat though, not curved. The opportunity to use pallets cuts costs to zero.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well not with that kind of attitude...

You're right about making it easy and not scary for the rookies. I had one tamp that was essentially just a legless n'shore ladder that could he set to whatever height suited up to about knee height (this also doubled as the ramp that could be set up for stupid things), then there was a few ramps of different height above that.
My Evil knievel days are long gone, broke enough bones on a motor cross bike when I was in my teens. There wouldn't be many pro riders that haven't suffered multiple broken bones or fractures and they have a lot more skill than I and it becomes part of the sport.

DMan

My Evil knievel days are long gone, broke enough bones on a motor cross bike when I was in my teens. There wouldn't be many pro riders that haven't suffered multiple broken bones or fractures and they have a lot more skill than I and it becomes part of the sport.
Haha, mine too! It's amazing what can run through your mind (mortgage payments, not being able to work... blah,blah) in the 2 seconds before hitting something that never came into it when you were young.
Sigh....

Flow-Rider

Burner
Haha, mine too! It's amazing what can run through your mind (mortgage payments, not being able to work... blah,blah) in the 2 seconds before hitting something that never came into it when you were young.
Sigh....
You learn real fast when you spend about 6 months on crutches and then another few months to build the muscle back up in your leg so that it can hold your body weight up. I had my leg re-broken 3 times because it wouldn't set in the right spot.