Buying a canyon. Hidden fees

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So I've spent the last two months buying stuff online for bikes, spa baths, home brew, furniture, sunglasses, body armour and a bunch of other shit.

Not one single time has the website known that I was in Canberra. Evey time I had to tell it where I was. That included CRC, ebay, alibaba, Bunnings, etc. etc.
This is probably more to do with Canberra than the internet.

How else does crc know to hide the sram gear when you open their site?

When I logged onto zuji to buy flights it defaulted to .au and then preselected Sydney for me.

A bunch of other sites I have visited recently have a pop up box as soon as the page opens.

Maybe you have a really crisp protective software or regularly wipe the cookie crumbs off your lap? Who has known the functioning of the internets?

treble

Likes Dirt
Looking seriously at a new Canyon, had a look at their website regarding GST and Duty and found this:
"Our prices include statutory VAT (GST), but are net of shipping costs. Prices in non-EU countries (excluding Australia and New Zealand) do not include VAT (GST). Any customs duties and similar public charges shall be borne by the Customer."
is this a change in policy? it seems they are including the GST but not the import duty in their pricing.

Looking seriously at a new Canyon, had a look at their website regarding GST and Duty and found this:
"Our prices include statutory VAT (GST), but are net of shipping costs. Prices in non-EU countries (excluding Australia and New Zealand) do not include VAT (GST). Any customs duties and similar public charges shall be borne by the Customer."
is this a change in policy? it seems they are including the GST but not the import duty in their pricing.

No import duty, it's all sorted. But if CC charges international transactions fees then you will get that as it is an international payment. Only fee on top of listed price is postage ($200).

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
So I've spent the last two months buying stuff online for bikes, spa baths, home brew, furniture, sunglasses, body armour and a bunch of other shit.

Not one single time has the website known that I was in Canberra. Evey time I had to tell it where I was. That included CRC, ebay, alibaba, Bunnings, etc. etc.

This is probably more to do with Canberra than the internet.

How else does crc know to hide the sram gear when you open their site?

When I logged onto zuji to buy flights it defaulted to .au and then preselected Sydney for me.

A bunch of other sites I have visited recently have a pop up box as soon as the page opens.

Maybe you have a really crisp protective software or regularly wipe the cookie crumbs off your lap? Who has known the functioning of the internets?
I use a paid VPN service for my home desktop.
It's cheap as chips, works reliably & I can switch it on & off when needed. I think it's a good idea for heavy international consumers like us?

It's got me thinking though....I wonder if a Canyon Bikes purchase would be different with a VPN?
My VPN software lets me choose any number of international servers (i.e. - Germany).
....and would it fool my bank and avoid any triggers for "international butt-hurt fees"....??

ualf

Likes Dirt
I use a paid VPN service for my home desktop.
It's cheap as chips, works reliably & I can switch it on & off when needed. I think it's a good idea for heavy international consumers like us?

It's got me thinking though....I wonder if a Canyon Bikes purchase would be different with a VPN?
My VPN software lets me choose any number of international servers (i.e. - Germany).
....and would it fool my bank and avoid any triggers for "international butt-hurt fees"....??
Not likely. Your VPN will fool Canyon's platform into thinking you are in Germany and present you the German language site with EU pricing however if you did go ahead and make a purchase their system would process your credit card payment with whoever it is they hold a merchant account and it will make absolutely no difference to your bank.