Cairns World Cup!!

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Thredbo would be awesome it should be there anyway much better track.
That said I think they would cancel it, from what I understand thredbo doesn't have the ideas tire in place that the wc requires. I think there are specific guides for things like hospitals and other things that need to be meet to make it a viable place?

Anyone know more about this?

I think more likely would be a dropped round from the series than a full move to new location. In such a short turn around.
From memory it is more about proximity to Int'l airports than hospitals some of the Euro rounds are a chopper ride to a decent medical facility, which you could do at Thredbo. As you say it would be dropped before being moved, the logistics would be simply too big when you start to really look at all the factors. While that is exactly the sort of challenge I love about my job, that sort of change would be a ball breaker.

But as I type, I am running through my head if it could be done........

madflap

Likes Dirt
Apparently you missed the comment by a member of the event management team,

THIS EVENT IS GOING AHEAD.

We know our area, our weather patterns and our climate very well. This is a very good situation for the event. This cyclone moving through now guarantees perfect weather for the world cup. Its path couldn't be better for Cairns. National Parks and Cairns MTB Club will clean up the site of any fallen trees and World trail are on site with machines. Large amounts of rain at this time of year are normal for the tropics. The trails were built with large amounts of rain in mind given that Glen Jacobs grew up here and knows the climate i think we have rain events covered.
Cycling Australia are here, their full team still flies in on Monday and all is going ahead.
See you at the world cup.
p.s. no better world cup track than Cairns.

Thredbo would be awesome it should be there anyway much better track.
That said I think they would cancel it, from what I understand thredbo doesn't have the ideas tire in place that the wc requires. I think there are specific guides for things like hospitals and other things that need to be meet to make it a viable place?

Anyone know more about this?

I think more likely would be a dropped round from the series than a full move to new location. In such a short turn around.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
While it is pure conjecture at the moment until we really know what Ita does, as part of the Event Management Team, I can assure you that everything will be done to ensure the event goes ahead. At this point I would say there is less than 5% chance of any sort of cancellation. There is a whole team flying in on Monday, the National Parks team are ready to go in and audit and start the clean up as soon as it is safe, and contingencies have been made for infrastructure and resources that may get pulled into the recovery effort such as generators and skilled labour.

On top of all that, whilst we want to be ready to go by Easter we still have two weeks before any racing so, in that regard we are lucky this did not happen a week later. With Significant state govt investment in this event we will be looking to get the message out that FNQ is open for business.

Good luck to all those in the firing line over the next 48 hours or so.
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Having ridden both you'd know?

Stupidest fucking thing I have seen you type.
Thredbo yes cairns no.
But you can look at footage and photos of each and get a good idea.
Oh but footage flattens everything out. Yes it does but that means footage of thredbo and footage of cairns can be compared as they will both appear flatter.

Look I like cairns I just question it from what i have seen. We shall see what effect the weather has.
No doubt its still better than stromlo though.

Its not hard to compare tracks with footage.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Good luck to all those in the firing line over the next 48 hours or so.
Yep. Hope every one stays safe first and foremost.

All the best with pulling off a great event

U

ubumocity

Worlds in Cairns

The WORLDS will be on but who knows if the rain will, its been non stop rain this year and today it's a cyclone!

Should be an awesome weekend regardless of weather, the tracks are awesome!

madflap

Likes Dirt
Weather is fine
Weather will be fine for the World Cup .
Track is still better than thredbo and you are still wrong in your assessment of the track based on video.
There are 4 world cups and 1 world champs for Australia over next 4 years. Cairns has two world
Cups and one world champs. It has not been decided where the other two world cups will be held.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
For those who have seen the track, do you think the guys will be riding their DH bikes in Cairns, or are we likely to see more gwinning on enduro bikes?

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Cairns dodged a bullet from Ita

What do you know what we don't?
Also anyone in cairns how is the weather situation, everyone safe so far?
Looks like Cairns dodged a bullet from cyclone Ita.
Apart from a ton of rain there appears to have been no significant wind so no real damage. I imagine that there will be trees down and the venue will certainly be saturated but Smithies holds up well in the rain.
Full steam ahead towards the World Cup

P.S. We watched the PMB round of the DH last night, bummer about Sick Mick, so close but so far.
What have been brilliant for him to come to his home round with a win under his belt

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Yeah I'm really really excited for Cairns.

Hopefully sick mick can pull off a win on his home track.

driftking

Wheel size expert
For those who have seen the track, do you think the guys will be riding their DH bikes in Cairns, or are we likely to see more gwinning on enduro bikes?
I would not be surprised although I have been very harsh on pietermaritzburg and they have improved that track. I still think it needs to ditch that peal somehow by that I mean shorten not eliminate, but the new rock section is much improved. Although we did just see gwin win on a less than downhill bike with the fastest top sector of the race.....

Have to wait and see I guess with cairns, From what I have seen and that is only headcam and photos, I wouldn't be surprised if we see shorter travel bikes come out.

Looks like Cairns dodged a bullet from cyclone Ita.
Apart from a ton of rain there appears to have been no significant wind so no real damage. I imagine that there will be trees down and the venue will certainly be saturated but Smithies holds up well in the rain.
Full steam ahead towards the World Cup

P.S. We watched the PMB round of the DH last night, bummer about Sick Mick, so close but so far.
What have been brilliant for him to come to his home round with a win under his belt
Good to hear. hopefully someone can head up there when its safe and grab some snaps of the track after the onslaught of heavy rain.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Tracks seem to have held up well, although the amount of rain on an already soaked mountain could see sections still seeping next week. Damp in the rock garden and the 'off camber Alien Tree' section will make it exciting and there will be more exposed roots and ruts in Vines. Our normal trails have lots of sticks, branches and leaves down, cleared a couple of trees today. Trails are a bit 'raw' with lots of rocks and roots exposed...lots of water running out of the hills.

Tracks will be in their prime in 2 weeks.

morticus

Likes Dirt
I don't think they guys will need a pedal friendly bike in Cairns. I would be surprised to see any enduro/am bikes there. Doubt they will want to sacrifice high speed stability for the short pedal sections.

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Does anybody know if there will be coverage on TV or best to tune into Red Bull or similar?

Looking forward to it :thumb::thumb: