Cairns World Cup!!

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Yeah wow , sounds like a logistical nightmare . Always good to get a real insight into how they prepare for televising DH and the obstacles they face as you have mentioned .I like the drone idea though .

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Would it be possible to string some GoPro's or something in the trees or some shit and stream that footage? Or something like that.

Or still impossible?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
TV coverage for the DH was a logistical and materials issue, not really anything else. XC is quite compact and doesnt need excessively long TV camera leads (live feed is not wireless according to the guys I was speaking to who follow and film for the tour around the world). Our track is 1.9kms long in pretty inaccessible areas....no easy chairlift routes to follow!

The leads required to get to the whoops need to be about 1km long, the speed trap is about another 300m, the triple/double/triple, a couple hundred more, and then Alien Tree. Vines is about 300m after the whoops, but still about 800m from the event centre...each camera is on its own lead...what you got was as far as they could extend all the leads they had - this time. They are on the hunt to ensure there are an extra few camera points next time, and an extra container of lead, and probably a helicopter to lay and retrieve them (not kidding).

Hope that explains a bit.
I'd also like to add they ran the cables along the side of the track in most of the locations. Anyone who knows anything about fibre optic cable knows if you stand on it it's not going to function well. Imagine what would happen if a 1000 people stood on it, as was happening Saturday. I know they had tech difficulties due to this. The simplest solution is to lay the cables 5m into the bush.
I also hear that there was a decision not to put in spectator access and fix the uplift road prior to the event, with the attitude if "she'll be right mate"! Cost them $100k to fix the road all night Thursday night.
These things need to be address before the next one.

Also, if the ASP can run a drone successfully, so can the UCI/SBS.

Last edited:

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I also hear that there was a decision not to put in spectator access and fix the uplift road prior to the event, with the attitude if "she'll be right mate"! Cost them $100k to fix the road all night Thursday night.
Yep, no rumor that.
I heard it direct from a person who would certainly know first hand.

Skydome

Well if what I heard on the XC stream is right, and they are heading back to Cairns next year, I think the crew need to work on clearing up a path way for spectators and easier access for camera equipment.

Hard work in that jungle and If I lived up that way I'd offer to help out.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Well if what I heard on the XC stream is right, and they are heading back to Cairns next year, I think the crew need to work on clearing up a path way for spectators and easier access for camera equipment.

Hard work in that jungle and If I lived up that way I'd offer to help out.
I believe it's a world heritage listed rain forest. You probably can't empty the bins without a permit, let alone making new trails.

Skydome

I believe it's a world heritage listed rain forest. You probably can't empty the bins without a permit, let alone making new trails.
Well that's annoying.

So if it comes back again next year we won't get to see the whoops section?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Maybe Cairns isn't as ideal as once first thought?
It's good to see new places on the calendar but for those who went to Stromlo for their worldly events will agree that everything went super smooth. Aside from the fairly tame downhill track, it's a bloody good venue.
I think Cairns copped the worst of what could have happened with foul weather. We can't judge it entirely on it's first gig.

Skydome

It's good to see new places on the calendar but for those who went to Stromlo for their worldly events will agree that everything went super smooth. Aside from the fairly tame downhill track, it's a bloody good venue.
I think Cairns copped the worst of what could have happened with foul weather. We can't judge it entirely on it's first gig.
This.

First gig since 1996, so new people involved organising most likely.

I'm sure they'll be looking at rider spectator and general overall feedback no doubt.

madflap

Likes Dirt
Geez fellas,
already writing Cairns off.
Dam some are hard to please.
Word I had re Stromlo was that thier first event was not as smooth as you might think, the World Champs went well in 2009 but I have heard there were still problems behind the scenes. It is a bit naive to think that an event that big would run perfectly, anywhere.
The UCI loved the place, The riders loved the place, Dhillers were saying it is the most technically difficult track they have experienced (brutal because the wet areas turned to butter asit started to dry and it was hard to pedal through, they would have preferred more rain) and cant wait to come back and ride it flat out in the dry. The XC riders were as nervous as hell at what Glen had dealt out to them but they had to man up and ride it and ride it they did. Took them to a whole new level with Absolom showing them what being a professional champion is all about. THe rain, well it rained so what, it rains in Europe all the time and no one whinges about that and when it rains in Europe, as David VASQUEZ said to us, it is freezind cold, here in the tropics it is warm rain. Oh and what can the riders do in thier down time in Canberra, oh yeah question time in Parliament, that beats diving on the reef, fishing, rafting, skyrail, massive party scene in Cairns, yeah I can see the benefit of going anywhere else other than Cairns.
The access road issues were dealt with, albeit not the way they should have but hey shit happens on big jobs, refer my opening line about stromlo. By next year it will be a cobblestone road with no issues.
The access for spectators, someone hit it on the head, this is a Conservation Park so there are restrictions. National Parks will deal with them. For example one spectator route was a no go because on one side of the track there was the largest find of a rare water vine ever identified in the park and on the other side a nest of very rare birds. Finding them meant problems to spectator access. What is not known is the park has been reclassified and is now a Regional park which means a step towards more flexibility. Who said Parks are not supportive. That said there were still a couple thousand people made it up the hill. So I guess that will be worked on. This is the first of, dare i say it 4 events to be held here.
Conversations all weekend were positive and who knows maybe one day we can make Cairns a permanent stop on the World Cup Circuit.
If you didn't get up for this one, you need to get up here for next years.

Skydome

madflap, thanks for that insightful post.

I was unaware of those two rare findings, and I wasn't aware it had been reclassified to regional park.

Great informative post madflap, thanks for that.

So with that information there maybe a chance of better coverage in future events?

Klips

Likes Dirt
A few thoughts:
  • I did wonder about the lack of coverage at the top of the DH course, but stringing cable through the jungle has very simply explained it. It would be great to have it further up as well, but I wouldn't be volunteering to slog through dense rainforest if it were me.
  • The XC course looked gnarly. You'll note that the World Trail guys set out to see a dropper post in the XC and, well, mission accomplished: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10878770/
  • The thing that was missing from showing how tough the DH was is 3D. Just about everyone these days has bought a TV in the last five years has a 3D capable TV (likely with unused glasses stashed somewhere) - stick one of the new gopros on Claudio and a lot of the keyboard heros will have to back down a bit.
  • I love that Marco (and Manuel) wear baggies in XC
  • Is it just me who thought that Eva Lechner was wearing a jersey that was waaaay too big?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Piss off mudflap, Lake Berley Griffin has heaps of carp in it for the catchin!!

It's weird, I've lived in Cairns and it's one of the most fun cities in the world. 22 years on and I still miss that place.

However I currently live in Canberra for no other reason than work but I still feel this weird need to defend it against your outrageous and completely unfounded slurs. I guess the politics must rub of on you down here.....

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Geez fellas,
already writing Cairns off.
Dam some are hard to please.
**snip**
Conversations all weekend were positive and who knows maybe one day we can make Cairns a permanent stop on the World Cup Circuit.
If you didn't get up for this one, you need to get up here for next years.
Hi Madflap, I don't think anyone is writing Cairns off, in fact the opposite. The feedback by those that attended was all the same, loved it but they need to fix the spectator access and the info provided to get around the place was appalling. Hell, finding the place was difficult at first due to lack of info and signage. These things can be easily fixed. As far as the heritage listing, the damage done by spectators trying to climb the hill is far worse than putting in a well built sustainable access path. And no where did I see signage telling people to keep away from important or fragile fauna and flora.
Cairns a permanent fixture, would love to see that.

madflap

Likes Dirt
Hi Madflap, I don't think anyone is writing Cairns off, in fact the opposite. The feedback by those that attended was all the same, loved it but they need to fix the spectator access and the info provided to get around the place was appalling. Hell, finding the place was difficult at first due to lack of info and signage. These things can be easily fixed. As far as the heritage listing, the damage done by spectators trying to climb the hill is far worse than putting in a well built sustainable access path. And no where did I see signage telling people to keep away from important or fragile fauna and flora.
Cairns a permanent fixture, would love to see that.

You are preaching to the converted. I am attending a debrief tomorrow involving all stakeholders that will address all the problems identified and how to improve the event. If you guys have brought it up don't think for a moment that we haven't thought about it and have listed it down to discuss.
I have obtained feedback from everyone i can that was involved from the club perspective and also have read through this forum as well. 4dabush was positioned in the rock garden and he gave me a thesis on ideas to improve. Nothing will ever be perfect but a lot of the things you guys speak about we have identified and knew beforehand they would be issues but there was no time to address them so they became what they became. Parks knew they would get damage and have to look at and fix that. CA knew there would be issues from their perspective and are being very proactive in calling for this debrief and asking for input. I think for the benefit of any future events we need to take it at face value and remain vigilant leading up to the next one to make sure everyone keeps their word.
We want it to stay here and stay in the southern hemisphere.

As far as the change in name of the park and very informative post i gave before. We hope that the change in classification means a move forward and acknowledgement of the infrastructure put in the park.

But when you deal with people above your pay bracket and social influence sometimes you just have to throw the chips in the air and see where they fall.
Thanks though to the folks on the forum being brutally honest as that perspective also helps drive thought processes for the organisers. Some of it will be ignored but constructive stuff supports a lot of what we on the ground on the weekend as "hired help" saw as outsiders on the inside.

As the Downhill capital of Australia Canberra makes a good uuummm uummmm something, I am sure it is good for something really, no really. :)

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
One idea I think could work would be have somewhere skilled fans could send mobile phone video footage to. There had to be thousands of phone cameras on the hill so you would not want the airwaves jammed by the masses If there was some sort of competition in the lead up to the event to pick the better operators out of the hundreds or thousands of amateurs. 10 or 20 more feeds wouldn't tie up too much time for any production crew worth their salt.

Simple. Free/cheap. Third cliche.

Maybe rodeo clowns like old mate spectator to take down crashed riders bikes too. :). I doubt I would have been able to resist the peer pressure of the crowd either.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
If you watch all the different you tube videos it gives a great perspective on what looks like as good a track as any on the circuit . Rob Warner i think said that if it was dry there would have been some sensational racing on a tough course . Claudio`s run shows it tough and fast . In the dry would they have come close to the 80 kmph through the speed trap ? Hopefully we get to find out next time . The Cairns track should now be a permanent fixture in the season .

natskis

Likes Bikes
Anyone else find the DH fun and exciting to watch but the XC a bit dull? Like someone previously mentioned... would be awsome to see DH in the olympics

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
After seeing some of the spectator YouTube vids now out of the jumps and other sections, it kinda makes me wonder what the broadcast team were doing.

I get there was limited access but man, we missed some EPIC down hill action on a seriously awesome track.

Would love to see it in the Olympics.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk