Can my bike handle downhill mountain biking?

Another random user

Cannon Fodder
Hello community,

As you can tell, I am new here so if I made any mistakes in posting this thread, please kindly point it out. Anyways, I recently purchased a hardtail MTB for around $250 from "Reid cycles". The bike itself when I assembled it looked sturdy with a seeming thicker than average frame and pretty good parts. When I attempted small jumps on the bike the chain would rattle a lot. Since I am very bored I want to take my bike down a MTB trail but I don't know whether the bike will be able to handle the impact of landing jumps and going over tree roots. I don't want to break this bike as I most likely can't afford another one. If I just need to replace the brake pads after every run I'll be fine with it, just not the whole front fork. Basically if I just need to make small adjustments or part replacements to make this downhill mountain biking ready, I'll be fine with that.

Specs:
Frame Material 6061 Aluminium Alloy
Fork Suntour M3030 27.5" 75mm travel
Gearing 21-Speed Shimano Tourney
Crankset Prowheel 24/34/42T Triple Chainring
Shifters Shimano Tourney EZ-Fire
Front Derailleur Shimano Tourney
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tourney
Brakes Promax Alloy V-Brakes
Brake Levers Shimano EZ-Fire
Hub KT Alloy Quick Release Front Hub, Shimano Nexus 3 Speed Rear Hub
Wheelset-Rim Reid Double Wall Alloy
Tyres Reid MTB 27.5" x 2.1
Chain KMC Z51
Freewheel/Cassette Shimano 7-speed Freewheel (14-28t)
Bottom Bracket VP Sealed Bearing
Handlebars Reid Oversize Alloy Riserbars
Stem Reid MTB 1-1/8" Threadless Alloy, Oversize
Grips Ergonomic Rubber
Saddle Reid MTB
Seatpost Reid Alloy 27.2mm Micro Adjust
Pedals PVC Platform, 9/16" steel axle
Weight (kgs) 13

Thanks in advance :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It seems like a bit of a klunker to me...

Life is hard so here it is straight, you've wasted your money in a piece of shit. Just because it looks like a mountain bike doesn't mean it is a mountain bike. If you sell it you'll be lucky to get scrap metal value for it. If you ride it you'll be exposing yourself to serious risk of injury or worse.

If you actually want to get I to mountain biking, do some research. Look at the various styles of mountain biking, watch you tube videos, trawl google images, scour reputable manufacturers' websites, ask questions and learn. Learn about the actual value of bikes for their intended purpose, sure you may never need a $12001 dollar bucks carbon downhill race bike, but understanding how much new bikes cost will help you learn what is and isn't a good buy.

Or this may just be return of the troll...in which case:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XmISCcWcepY

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Here's what happened when somebody tried to take a cheap bike down a proper downhill trail.

[video=youtube;wkMnk_eCDQU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkMnk_eCDQU[/video]

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd fear for my life. If serious cat is serious about MTB, ride that think on bike paths and get a used proper MTB for the purpose which it's intended. I wouldn't ride my XC / Trail bikes on DH trails as they're not meant for it.

Something WILL eventually break and you WILL crash. You might be flexible, bouncy, heal really quick and not have anyone depending on you. I'm not in that situation.....

This falls into the category of "nothing so expensive as a cheap lawyer..."

Replacement Parts OK

Hi 'Another Random User',

While technically this bike could go down a downhill trail, the chances of it (or you) making it to the bottom in one piece are less than average.

You said you could replace parts to make this suitable for Downhill...
Start at the top of your spec list and replace each item until you get to the bottom.

For ideas of what to replace it with, look at the Post Your Ride section in these forums.
Google is your friend, whoever sold you that bike is not.

Good luck.

rone

Eats Squid
Hi 'Another Random User',

While technically this bike could go down a downhill trail, the chances of it (or you) making it to the bottom in one piece are less than average.

You said you could replace parts to make this suitable for Downhill...
Start at the top of your spec list and replace each item until you get to the bottom.

For ideas of what to replace it with, look at the Post Your Ride section in these forums.
Google is your friend, whoever sold you that bike is not.

Good luck.
Put lipstick and earrings on a pig and you'll still end up with a pig.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
OP hasn't been back. Hopefully he didn't go off to shred his local DH track without waiting for an answer.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Hello community,

As you can tell, I am new here so if I made any mistakes in posting this thread, please kindly point it out. Anyways, I recently purchased a hardtail MTB for around $250 from "Reid cycles". The bike itself when I assembled it looked sturdy with a seeming thicker than average frame and pretty good parts. When I attempted small jumps on the bike the chain would rattle a lot. Since I am very bored I want to take my bike down a MTB trail but I don't know whether the bike will be able to handle the impact of landing jumps and going over tree roots. I don't want to break this bike as I most likely can't afford another one. If I just need to replace the brake pads after every run I'll be fine with it, just not the whole front fork. Basically if I just need to make small adjustments or part replacements to make this downhill mountain biking ready, I'll be fine with that.

Specs:
Frame Material 6061 Aluminium Alloy
Fork Suntour M3030 27.5" 75mm travel
Gearing 21-Speed Shimano Tourney
Crankset Prowheel 24/34/42T Triple Chainring
Shifters Shimano Tourney EZ-Fire
Front Derailleur Shimano Tourney
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tourney
Brakes Promax Alloy V-Brakes
Brake Levers Shimano EZ-Fire
Hub KT Alloy Quick Release Front Hub, Shimano Nexus 3 Speed Rear Hub
Wheelset-Rim Reid Double Wall Alloy
Tyres Reid MTB 27.5" x 2.1
Chain KMC Z51
Freewheel/Cassette Shimano 7-speed Freewheel (14-28t)
Bottom Bracket VP Sealed Bearing
Handlebars Reid Oversize Alloy Riserbars
Stem Reid MTB 1-1/8" Threadless Alloy, Oversize
Grips Ergonomic Rubber
Saddle Reid MTB
Seatpost Reid Alloy 27.2mm Micro Adjust
Pedals PVC Platform, 9/16" steel axle
Weight (kgs) 13

Thanks in advance :)
Ignore the trolls, this bike is perfectly capable of riding downhill trails provided they don't contain any roots, rocks, drops, jumps or uneven terrain whatsoever. Actually dirt or gravel is quite dangerous too, this monster of a bike would be best suited to sealed downhill trails - like those wheelchair access ramps you find in shopping malls. Just make sure they aren't too steep.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I rode this bike
around Stockyards at the You Yangs, Cressy and Boulder, as well as Shepherds DH track at King Lake, wearing a road helmet and clipped in. Fuck, those were the days...

It got me hooked on MTB three years ago. I say go for it!

My son was on this at the time, riding the same trails

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
the frame will be usable, if you want to do some serious riding you want good hydraulic brakes [atleast shimano slx] & want to upgrade the fork, something like 120mm travel -see the classifieds section here, you could upgrade the gears later but they aren't that important for going down..oops take that back, I don't think youre bike is disc compatible, no luck on the brakes, the again if you upgrade fork you'd have to upgrade wheel as well, but atleast you could run a front disc brake -which gives most stopping pwr

make sure you check handlebars, stem etc are all bolted up tight before descending, good luck

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
there is a $600 Norco manic on the FB mtb buy sell page in size medium, might be a safer bet to start going downhill