Can my bike handle downhill mountain biking?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I rode this bike
around Stockyards at the You Yangs, Cressy and Boulder, as well as Shepherds DH track at King Lake, wearing a road helmet and clipped in. Fuck, those were the days...

It got me hooked on MTB three years ago. I say go for it!

My son was on this at the time, riding the same trails
I'm a mandatory reporter. Lucky you're no longer deliberately putting your son at risk or I'd be on the phone to community services!

I say go for it. You don't need to spend big $$$ on a bike to have fun.
Yes...yes you do. Dying is not fun.

Just got back from the bright 24hr and there was a team doing the course on folding bikes, yes even at night. I think only 1 frame snapped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Just got back from the bright 24hr and there was a team doing the course on folding bikes, yes even at night. I think only 1 frame snapped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How funny was that! Brave, brave individuals they were, that course was tough on a real bike.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
there's having fun & there's getting yourself hurt, but anyway what do you have to lose; what trail re you thinning of riding? if you had of got the reid x-trail 27.5 you would have been slightly better off

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
i say ride it, tho its a cheapie youll have fun, watching carbon roadbikes on youtube do trials bike stuff shows how tough bikes are...even tho yours isnt a carbon top level bike

dhd

Downhill Direct
I say just go ride your damn bike!
If you want to smash rock gardens and punch big jumps then you might want to upgrade to something more suitable.

jarrod839

Banned
I use to ride my 100mm travel slopestyle bike down some of VICs DH tracks and even though it was possible it wasn't fun navigating rock gardens or high speeds and your body would be sore for days from impacts.

If you purely want to ride DH tracks and don't want to pedal back up buy a DH rig its more fun and enjoyable.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
This is what the pros were running:

Just 26 short years ago. An entry level bike today, would still be miles ahead of the stuff back then.

I say go for it, two things will happen;

1) You'll develop awesomeness and skills, very fucking fast.

B) You'll die, 1/3 of the way into the first run.

Either way, you won't have to shell out on a rig.

For full retro radness, upgrade to a disk rear wheel....

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt