Canyon Spectral - creaking headset

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Canyon were awesome in my experience. I didn't bother asking them about the topcap and spacer because I did it from brand new - it never actually creaked on me. They are nicer items than that plastic garbage so I didn't really care - think of it as an upgrade.

But, my fork did need a service right out of the box. I just did it at cyclinic and then let canyon know after it was done as an FYI, and they were kind enough to cover the cost.

Was honestly more pissed that canyon dont include tubeless valves in the box

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Canyon were awesome in my experience.

But, my fork did need a service right out of the box. I just did it at cyclinic and then let canyon know after it was done as an FYI, and they were kind enough to cover the cost.
That is seriously awesome!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
@ChrisJC Firstly, I hope that in a couple of months you will be looking back at this and laughing cause it seems like a storm in a teacup at this point.

Yes, it's disappointing buying something that you're really looking forward to and it having problems. We've all been there.

You said that Canyon have undertaken to get back to with within a few days, which is pretty good really. Others have indicated impressive customer service outcomes from them so you'll likely be happy with the outcome if you're reasonable about it.

You have absolutely no grounds for a refund. You can still ride the bike, although you don't want to cause of the noise.

It'll be a sweet bike after this is resolved.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From all reports Canyon are at the top of heap for responding to customers and issues and warranties
I can add my own experience to that. One of the seat stays on my Canyon Exceed cracked. I don't know how. It was probably broken for a while before I noticed as we were overseas. Bike was dirty AF so I didn't see it till we were home and I washed it. I put in a warranty claim. Got knocked back. They thought maybe I had used the bike "in a manner that it wasn't designed for". Okay, no worries. They wrote to me immediately and offered me a crash replacement for $300 under the current frame price with free delivery.
I didn't take up their offer. Now these Exceed make great long distance bikes. Gravel bike? What's that? We are off to Whitehorse in July to ride from there down through the Rockies to Moab. Thought about taking my trail bike to have in Moab but probably better to hire one there.
So I contact Canyon last week, they have the same frame in stock and will honor their previous offer.
I think they will help out with the headset or whatever problem.
Unsafe at any speed!

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@ChrisJC Firstly, I hope that in a couple of months you will be looking back at this and laughing cause it seems like a storm in a teacup at this point.

Yes, it's disappointing buying something that you're really looking forward to and it having problems. We've all been there.

You said that Canyon have undertaken to get back to with within a few days, which is pretty good really. Others have indicated impressive customer service outcomes from them so you'll likely be happy with the outcome if you're reasonable about it.

You have absolutely no grounds for a refund. You can still ride the bike, although you don't want to cause of the noise.

It'll be a sweet bike after this is resolved.
Perhaps a storm in a tea cup if the solution is to merely replace the spacers and top cover. Keep in mind I’m only talking atm so no screaming out my demands. My concern was I would have to replace the bars with standard round bars and stem which there is nothing wrong with, however it was not what I signed up for in the contract of sale. If worse came to worse I would have every right to a refund.

I don’t want to argue a point but s contract if sale is binding and if it can’t be met by a supplier they are obliged to refund you.

Anyhows, I have calmed down a bit and hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Perhaps a storm in a tea cup if the solution is to merely replace the spacers and top cover. Keep in mind I’m only talking atm so no screaming out my demands. My concern was I would have to replace the bars with standard round bars and stem which there is nothing wrong with, however it was not what I signed up for in the contract of sale. If worse came to worse I would have every right to a refund.

I don’t want to argue a point but s contract if sale is binding and if it can’t be met by a supplier they are obliged to refund you.

Anyhows, I have calmed down a bit and hopefully it will be sorted soon.
Worse won't come to worse, I'm 100% sure they will sort it, you're carrying on about full refunds and contracts before you've even given them a chance to resolve it.
Calm the farm.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I can add my own experience to that. One of the seat stays on my Canyon Exceed cracked. I don't know how. It was probably broken for a while before I noticed as we were overseas. Bike was dirty AF so I didn't see it till we were home and I washed it. I put in a warranty claim. Got knocked back. They thought maybe I had used the bike "in a manner that it wasn't designed for". Okay, no worries. They wrote to me immediately and offered me a crash replacement for $300 under the current frame price with free delivery.
I didn't take up their offer. Now these Exceed make great long distance bikes. Gravel bike? What's that? We are off to Whitehorse in July to ride from there down through the Rockies to Moab. Thought about taking my trail bike to have in Moab but probably better to hire one there.
So I contact Canyon last week, they have the same frame in stock and will honor their previous offer.
I think they will help out with the headset or whatever problem.
Unsafe at any speed!
View attachment 386382
That's been hit by something. I'd decline a warranty request too if I was making the call.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's been hit by something. I'd decline a warranty request too if I was making the call.
We were about 6 weeks from the end of a 4 month a supported ride down the Andes when I discovered it. I had food poisoning a month before and had to ride in the SAG wagon one day with my bike on the roof. The people loading the bikes handled them like they were stacking fire wood. I suspect they dropped it onto a square edge of some sort and forgot to mention it to me. When I got in touch with Canyon on my return the guy on the phone said to make a warranty claim. I knew there wasn't much hope but the service was top notch.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
In that instance your claim would be with the ride organiser rather than Canyon, and you'd be seeking compensation for the cost of repair - that is very repairable, non-terminal damage.

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
Thanks, but not looking for your sympathy. I merely wanted to know if others have had issues and what Canyon did to resolve them!
I have a 2022 CF 9 spectral with the exact same issue, I have also pulled it apart and reapplied a generous amount of grease and carbon friction paste. The creaks go away but only temporarily and they come back pretty loud. There are wear marks on my fork due to play around the bearings(I strongly believe this is due to using plastic spacers and is a big concern). I've torqued up the headset and handlebar correctly so there is definitely a design issue with the use of the plastic spacers.

I've reached out to canyon to ask them why plastic spacers were used and they said they haven't heard of this issue before.(now seeing your post, I don't believe that)

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 2022 CF 9 spectral with the exact same issue, I have also pulled it apart and reapplied a generous amount of grease and carbon friction paste. The creaks go away but only temporarily and they come back pretty loud. There are wear marks on my fork due to play around the bearings(I strongly believe this is due to using plastic spacers and is a big concern). I've torqued up the headset and handlebar correctly so there is definitely a design issue with the use of the plastic spacers.

I've reached out to canyon to ask them why plastic spacers were used and they said they haven't heard of this issue before.(now seeing your post, I don't believe that)

Edited for spelling
There are several threads on other forums with the same issue. Canyon are well aware of the issue. I’ve bben chasing Canyon for over a week. Yhey said they would get to it Monday or Tuesday so i contacted them today and were told they are so busy and haven’t had a chance to look at the video or do anything else about it!

we are documenting everything and if it’s not resolved soon the next step is dept of fair trading!

Last edited:

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned

Edited for spelling
Taking the standard Mazda or VW tact - deny, deny, deny! (as a truckload of DSG gearboxes turns up at the spare parts department)