Canyon Spectral - creaking headset

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Why is it strange that they should have to fix a known issue? They’re only hurting themselves. I have s valid case and if they choose to ignore it, fair trading, and the credit card provider will force them to either fix it or refund me.
I said that it's strange that you're fighting a battle on principle and you imply that you're also doing it to make them change their ways (using plastic spacers, etc.) rather than just trying to solve your own problem. I understand that you want what you paid for and that Canyon should be doing all it can to assist you (and they should stop using plastic spacers). What I don't understand is the way that you're going about this, I'd have taken the path of least resistance. That's all I'm saying.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I said that it's strange that you're fighting a battle on principle and you imply that you're also doing it to make them change their ways (using plastic spacers, etc.) rather than just trying to solve your own problem. I understand that you want what you paid for and that Canyon should be doing all it can to assist you (and they should stop using plastic spacers). What I don't understand is the way that you're going about this, I'd have taken the path of least resistance. That's all I'm saying.
I appreciate that; however as has been noted by others is the damage being caused to the steerer tube maybe due to issues accentuated by plastic spacers but not necesarily caused by them. I don't want to change things without acknowledgment by Canyon incase it doesn't fix the issue.

Jpez

Down on the left!
assumptions! Considering you can only contact them via message and correspondence has been polite. I'm open to suggestions from the genius pool of Rotorburn!
Yeah assumptions. But the way you’ve come in here guns blazing before Canyon have even really had a chance to fix the problem makes those assumptions in my mind pretty safe. I just can’t see you going in with the softly softly approach. Could be wrong. Probably am.

But anyway. I wish you good luck with it and hope you get it sorted.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Fair trading won't care about anyone else's issues. their only concern is whether or not a product is fit for purpose
What success have you had with Fair Trading in the past? I always thought they were either toothless or take forever to resolve an issue, but could be wrong.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I appreciate that; however as has been noted by others is the damage being caused to the steerer tube maybe due to issues accentuated by plastic spacers but not necesarily caused by them. I don't want to change things without acknowledgment by Canyon incase it doesn't fix the issue.
And that's definitely fair enough, but I reckon you'd get that acknowledgement if you replaced the spacers/stem/bars and had them pay for it.

I do understand that part of the reason you liked this bike was the integrated stem/bars and that it's amazingly shit when something you paid for isn't properly delivered on - I guess that's the part I'd be letting go, if it was me.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
What success have you had with Fair Trading in the past? I always thought they were either toothless or take forever to resolve an issue, but could be wrong.
My question here is what Fair Trading can do when the company isn't based in Australia.

I assume Canyon doesn't have offices in Australia and that this sale was not routed through that office. Is that assumption accurate?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
damage being caused to the steerer tube
Do you have a photo of the damage to your steerer tube? If so send that to Canyon, or just keep it as evidence that the damage occurred before you fixed the problem and sent them the invoice so that you could reasonably keep riding your sick new bike.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
And that's definitely fair enough, but I reckon you'd get that acknowledgement if you replaced the spacers/stem/bars and had them pay for it.

I do understand that part of the reason you liked this bike was the integrated stem/bars and that it's amazingly shit when something you paid for isn't properly delivered on - I guess that's the part I'd be letting go, if it was me.
I made that post fully aware that I'm holding up the final build of my bike based on the particular shade of an anodised stem face plate....

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Who would ever get emotional about a bicycle, c'mon seriously. There's only well adjusted adults here...

ChrisJC....don't worry about it mate. It'll be sorted and your frustrations will be forgotten when you eventually ride it (or get your money back lol).

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
Well I'm in the same boat as OP and I agree with his argument.

I would be happy to buy new spacers etc but I honestly have no idea what parts and where to actually buy them, im a total novice when it comes to bike parts and ordering components. So it would make sense for me to ask canyon to send a replacement kit so I can actually install it.

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
Do you have a photo of the damage to your steerer tube? If so send that to Canyon, or just keep it as evidence that the damage occurred before you fixed the problem and sent them the invoice so that you could reasonably keep riding your sick new bike.
On page 3 I had attached an image and also linked someone else's reddit post. They had the same damage, It's identical.

nathanm

Eats Squid

I would be happy to buy new spacers etc but I honestly have no idea what parts and where to actually buy them, im a total novice when it comes to bike parts and ordering components. So it would make sense for me to ask canyon to send a replacement kit so I can actually install it.
other option would be to take it to an LBS and have them do it and send the bill to Canyon.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

... and they probably will. Just tell them how it is and be polite.

They have replace my boys frame twice now with cracks at the shock mount (he's rough as guts), second time they replace the alu frame with a carbon frame.

Sent me a fresh BB and headset for free and express posted me a derailleur hanger (my cost for hanger)

I seriously put them as the best customer service in terms of communication, service and speed in the country.

BTW I dont own a Canyon myself, just my 15yr old... but may very well buy one in the future and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Flow-Rider

Burner
A lot of bike manufactures are under the pump with minimal parts and covid problems, then have a lack of employees, just give them some time, as many have said on here from their own experience, they'll more than likely come good in the end.