Canyon Torque too much or Spectral too little?

Help choose my bike

• Canyon Spectral

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Canyon Torque

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Something different (specify in comments)

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Going to the Rotorburn brains trust for a little advice. I'm very close to purchasing a new bike. Went back and forth between YT, Canyon and Commencal a fair bit in the process of looking and now I'm leaning toward Canyon.

I live in North East Victoria so I ride mostly Wodonga/ Albury/ Beechworth/ Yackandandah with occasional trips to Bright.
I ride a lot of rocks, but generally not all that steep.
I was pretty set on a YT Capra or Canyon Torque (Torque got the edge due to being between sizes in YT and not being able to test ride one), but now that the new spectral has come out with 150/160 and a dpx2/ fox 36 I'm thinking maybe it would suit better than the torque.
I also have a Production Privee Shan that I will be keeping for the smoother/ flatter trails or when I'm feeling adventurous, which has lent me to looking for something a bit overkill as it won't need to be dragged around for cross country rides

Torque
https://www.canyon.com/en-au/gravity/torque/2019/torque-cf-9-0.html

Spectral
https://www.canyon.com/en-au/mtb/spectral/2019/spectral-cfr-9-0-sl.html

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Isnt the Strive in between the torque and the spectral ?

New one should be released soon .
Yeah, I should have clarified that I’m not keen on the strive due to the shapeshifter, geometry and the builds they offer. The rumour mill seems to suggest the new strive will be a 29er when it comes out. Haven’t wanted to go 29er due to always riding 26 and thinking it might be too much of an adjustment between bikes without being able to test ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An area I know pretty well, even though I don't live there. Mid travel, efficient bikes are king in those regions. Steep hills to climb, with tons of rocks to navigate up and down, especially Beechworth. But also lots of gravity stuff around too which suits the bigger travel bikes. I guess it depends on which way you sway towards. If it were my pick I'd go the Spectral. But if it wasn't one of those bikes, it'd be a 29er just due to the rocks .

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Spectral with 150mm fork and a coil.... be happy.

I was for 2 years.... still miss it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

treble

Likes Dirt
I have a Commencal Meta 4.2 and my brother in-law recently bought a new spectral. Although my bike is longer travel, they feel pretty similar to ride. I'm actually really impressed with the spectral. Unless you are riding big downhill stuff all the time the Torque would probably leave you a bit over-biked, and the spectral would be a lot more fun when the trails are a bit flatter.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
DH
Park
Enduro
Trail
XC

Chuck a % between each that you'd ride per year and that'll pretty much tell you.
If majority is in the bottom three then go the Spectral.

I've got a Torque, check out my PYR for my thoughts on it.
Compared to 2018 models, the 2019 Torque models are spec'd a bit oddly.
If you're an L then theres a few 2018 CF8's on the factory outlet discounted new.

I'd be surprised if the Strive went 29er ... my guess is they might bump up the travel to 170 and have an improved shapeshifter.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Go big! Are you worried about not setting top results on the climbs? Do you ride with a bunch of whippets who will never shut up about your big heavy bike? Are you smashing marathon laps of some wilderness trail? Get the big bike, take it easy on the climbs, send it bit on the way down.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You could split the difference and get a Liteville 301. Can be run as a 140mm or 160mm. Get a DPA Pike and voila! An enduro bike and trail bike in one.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk