Capital Punishment is GO

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
clothes, eggs and bacon

How about some of the local riders give non-locals some tips on clothing for this jaunt.

Keeping an eye on temperatures this last week it looks to be a pretty chilly start - around zero wouldn't be far off the mark, and maybe tops out at the high teens if we're lucky.

I reckon it'll be knee length knicks, arm warmers, full finger gloves, thermal undershirt and wind vest for starters - easy peel stuff as the day wears on. The climbing looks pretty mild, so there shouldnt be too much of a sweat raised!

What do you reckon?
As a local, I would get down to jersey and short knicks fairly quickly, particularly if the sun is out. Canberra sun is very strong and by the time you are on your way to Stromlo there is little shade. The main issue is that it can be deceptively cool in the early morning then jump 10 degrees in a matter of hours. It is always coldest directly before dawn (about when you will need to get up) so don't freak out and over-dress. Make sure you can take your layers off directly before the start.

I reckon I will start with short sleeve jersey, mesh back vest, knicks and knee and arm warmers and will have peeled it all off within the first hour. I will wear full finger gloves. Might contemplate an extra thermal layer at the last minute and if I do I will regret it. If you really feel the cold think about a lightweight breathable windproof as the wind chill might be an issue on the fast sections. Depending on how open your shoes are, toe covers (rather than full booties) are great on a Canberra morning. All depends on how much phaffing you are willing to do during the race.

As for a bakery - Dobinson's bakery cafe in the centre of town is a bakery and cafe (as the name suggests). As a bakery, it opens early. As a cafe it has a kitchen and they do breakfast so they might do bacon and egg roll. If not, they do a good next best thing in a quiche Lorraine. In fact, you could buy a bread roll and whack the quiche in it. While you are there, check out their almond croissant, not exactly traditional, but if you are partial to a super sized full fat injection before a race, it will do the trick. If you are not, share it will your buddies. There are better bakeries out there, but I think this one ticks your boxes best.

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Single speeders

So it's only my second enduro on a single speed, can someone help a brother out with ratios? Currently running 32/18 but i think that might be a tad easy. I did the 80km real insurance cruise at Stromlo in this gearing, and i feel i could have gone a bit harder. What are others running? Is Stromlo the biggest hill?

Any help greatly appreciated.

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the clothing tips, those who've contributed.

A small spanner in the works is the current Canberra forecast for Saturday looks like showers and 3º to 15º. Wet AND cold (yeah, yeah, a Sydneysider thinks it's cold). A 10º wet Sydney morning ride today wasn't that pleasant. Granted, a Canberra shower is usually pretty light.

Keep an eye on that forecast...

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the clothing tips, those who've contributed.

A small spanner in the works is the current Canberra forecast for Saturday looks like showers and 3º to 15º. Wet AND cold (yeah, yeah, a Sydneysider thinks it's cold). A 10º wet Sydney morning ride today wasn't that pleasant. Granted, a Canberra shower is usually pretty light.

Keep an eye on that forecast...
haha 10 was cold? Yeah.. harden up.

You'll be lucky if it rains - means little to no wind child. which takes away the majority of the cold.

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
So it's only my second enduro on a single speed, can someone help a brother out with ratios? Currently running 32/18 but i think that might be a tad easy. I did the 80km real insurance cruise at Stromlo in this gearing, and i feel i could have gone a bit harder. What are others running? Is Stromlo the biggest hill?

Any help greatly appreciated.
I'll probably end up hurting on some of the 'small inclines' with my 32-17, but I'm a bit of a princess when it comes to pain. :eek:

niftydog

Likes Dirt
7km untimed tar section along GDE, which will give you plenty of time to look longingly at the smooth, swooping "illegal" singletrack running through Bruce Ridge... :rolleyes:

Has anyone worked out a cafe in town that will be open prior to 7am?

Greg882

Likes Bikes
Camping

Would it be right to camp (friday nite) in the van at milpost road for the start of the 100km

Anyone else thinking about doing this

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Just noticed this too. They're allowing 30mins to ride this section which seems like a lot for 7km of road.
A few people got caught out with the untimed section during the last stage of the Mountains to Beach. Sure it sounds long, but it doesn't take much faffing around, or say perhaps a puncture, to suddenly become a race against the clock.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
A few people got caught out with the untimed section during the last stage of the Mountains to Beach. Sure it sounds long, but it doesn't take much faffing around, or say perhaps a puncture, to suddenly become a race against the clock.
I had 15 seconds to stretch before I had to go!

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Has anyone worked out a cafe in town that will be open prior to 7am?
Cornucopia in Braddon might open at 6AM, but if you're doing the 100km that's possibly a little late!

Otherwise, I don't like your chances. All the Brumby's / Baker's Delight type bakeries seem to open at 7AM. Woolies too.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
So it's only my second enduro on a single speed, can someone help a brother out with ratios? Currently running 32/18 but i think that might be a tad easy.
How's your spinning?

I'm entered geared but I've been entertaining the idea of taking the SS. 32/18 is going to leave you SO spun out on all the flat bits .. and there are a lot of fairly flat bits. Short pinches aside, the worst climbs seem to be about 1 in 10, over 1.5 km. A total of 1500m climbing over 100km isn't a lot.

I was thinking 32/16 isn't quite high enough, probably 34/16 as a suitable gear.

A higher gear might be kindof hurty for a Red Lap at Stromlo, and at one or 2 short sections earlier on but the time you save on the flat will make up for it.

You might want to take this with a grain of salt, because I haven't committed to SS yet - haven't emailed to ask them to change my category!

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
haha 10 was cold? Yeah.. harden up.

You'll be lucky if it rains - means little to no wind child. which takes away the majority of the cold.
Yeah, I know. A bit over a year ago I was cycling regularly in the snow in Vancouver, got down to -14. The sub-tropics have softened me up...

But I'm not sure about this wind child you mention. Is that a youngster who's eaten some bean, brussels sprout and cabbage soup?