Chain Life

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I upgraded from SRAM GX 12 speed to Shimano Linkglide a few months ago.
M5130 shifter , LG400 11-43 cassette , LG500 chain , M5130 Deore mech. Total cost $275.

With about 700ks on it , shifting is still as good as day 1 , chain wear showing just on 0.5%
I modded the shifter by chopping off the ridiculous gear indicator , its a solid unit with a slightly heavy feel but doesn't feel cheap despite being only $34. Deore mech is hefty but decent quality with very little play so far.
I wipe down the chain with degreaser and relube about every 30 ks. Muc off C3 was my go to lube but I'm trying their E specific lube ATM.
This is on a Bosch gen 4 / Mondraker Crafty that gets used predominantly in EMTB mode.
If Shimano or SRAM made a high end 10 speed drivetrain , I'd be all over it. 10 ratios is enough on an E bike and 43 teeth gets me up anything I need to climb.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
10 ratios is enough on an E bike and 43 teeth gets me up anything I need to climb.
I have never been in the Linkglide 50t cog, to be honest, I actually have thoughts of cutting it off. 42t is way big enough to get an eeb up the steepest climbs.

10spd 10-42 would be perfect.

ozzybmx

Have you measured your chain ?

One noise out of my drivetrain and I'm looking for issues. Cant believe these chains are getting fucked out so quickly.

The bike has 1800km on it, the GX chain lasted 500ish, the XX1 chain with a 11-42 cassette was good and the chain is now on my Spur, the Linkglide went on at 1000km and the chain is now rooted.
I've fitted an XX1 11spd chain to it now, will take it out for a test later. Cant do much about it anyway, I don't have anymore Linkglide chains yet... wasn't expecting it to be stretched so soon.
Chain update, the XX1 11spd was fitted on the 24th Sept at 1800km, eeb now has 2638km and the chain went 0.75 yesterday with 810km and 19500vm on it. This was another cleaned and hotwaxed chain with Silca Secret wax. Only lasted 40 days :(

Fitted a LG500 chain yesterday with the factory gunk on it. Lets see how this goes.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update on my LG500 chain. 900kms , 18,207vm.
Now 0.75 , shifting and sounding fine. It's got more life in it.
Happy with the Muc-Off E bike dry lube too , no dramas going 50kms between applications.

ozzybmx

Update on my LG500 chain. 900kms , 18,207vm.
Now 0.75 , shifting and sounding fine. It's got more life in it.
Just a little bit better than mine above with hot wax.

Once it goes over 0.75 is wearing the cassette. Cheap chain to replace at sub $40.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I am wiping my + wife Zinna's chain with a rag after every ride and applying dry lube aka waxy stuff copiously.
Every one else I know has a standard 12 speed set up and waits til the whole thing shits itself and then buys a chain and cassette via the shop.
Very few people seem to ever use the 50 or 52 cog at the back ,when the going gets tough they just chuck it into boost.
i changed a chain for a friend and his had no way of changing into the biggest cog because the cable had stretched .

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Just a little bit better than mine above with hot wax.

Once it goes over 0.75 is wearing the cassette. Cheap chain to replace at sub $40.
On non e bikes I have found that eventually after about 3 chains the cogs do wear so then i just chuck an old chain on it that doesnt slip and just ride it until it falls apart just like i would have done back in the bad old days..
Maintenance then was minimal, once the pads on the rim brakes were worn out and it was like a can opener slicing the rim which fell apart miles from anywhere.
if you ride long enough anything can break or come unbolted esp derailleurs with sticks ,seats , frames ,handlebars ,cranks ,chainrings , pedals , cables, chains, pivots, freehubs etc
I would say handlebars breaking unexpectedly over a drop off are the worst.

ozzybmx

i changed a chain for a friend and his had no way of changing into the biggest cog because the cable had stretched .
Barrel adjuster or re-clamp cable. New cable and outer makes for smooth shifting.

On non e bikes I have found that eventually after about 3 chains the cogs do wear so then i just chuck an old chain on it that doesnt slip and just ride it until it falls apart just like i would have done back in the bad old days..
I have only changed 1 cassette on a normal bike ever, I dump chains between 0.5 and 0.75, the cassette on my roadie had 13,000km on it when I sold it.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Barrel adjuster or re-clamp cable. New cable and outer makes for smooth shifting.
Of course ,language here is not precise ,i was just saying that as an example of evidence that he never used the biggest ring, he told me he just upped the power when a hill got steep.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have only changed 1 cassette on a normal bike ever, I dump chains between 0.5 and 0.75, the cassette on my roadie had 13,000km on it when I sold it.
[/QUOTE]
you are very disciplined ,its easy to leave it a bit long if you have lots of bikes.

ozzybmx

you are very disciplined ,its easy to leave it a bit long if you have lots of bikes.
I still have all my old chains in a box, actually overflowing recently, must be 70-100 in there. 9spd through to 12 and singlespeed monsters.

I'm going to make something out of them one day, like a rusty bike sculpture of some sort.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had 12 speed XT and just never felt that it stayed perfect for long and the range is completely unneeded for an emtb. I tried AXS and loved it, even on a shimano cassette, but the derailleur is pretty stuffed after a big crash last year. I was super keen to try linkglide since I heard about it but having a microspline rear wheel just screws me over.
Anyone have a way to get linkglide without replacing the rear wheel?

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I had 12 speed XT and just never felt that it stayed perfect for long and the range is completely unneeded for an emtb. I tried AXS and loved it, even on a shimano cassette, but the derailleur is pretty stuffed after a big crash last year. I was super keen to try linkglide since I heard about it but having a microspline rear wheel just screws me over.
Is there no way to buy an HG freehub body for your rear wheel?

ozzybmx

Yeah, replace the freehub for an HG. It's like a step back in time but the Linkglide cassette of mine is now on chain #3. I already chewed out a GX-12 and X0-11. They seem quite robust at their sleek 800g weight :rolleyes: