Chain reaction cycles

Binaural

Eats Squid
Could even get in touch with A Current Affair, this would go well with other major problems in Australia like guys doing burnouts in industrial areas on weekends, people walking their dog off a leash when no person is near them and remembering the kebab shops that went out of business in Islamabad because of the Cronulla Riots.
All such relevant journalism............................
You don't think price-gouging Australian consumers is newsworthy? I will bet you a kebab that I could find at least two of those issues reported in mainstream newspapers. Just because it's not an emergency doesn't mean it's not interesting.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You don't think price-gouging Australian consumers is newsworthy? I will bet you a kebab that I could find at least two of those issues reported in mainstream newspapers. Just because it's not an emergency doesn't mean it's not interesting.
I'm just taking the piss and honestly, I couldn't tell you the last time I read a paper or heard radio news or watched TV that isn't sport or fiction.
I'll bloody join you for a kebab though! ;)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
You know, I think this might be interesting to the media - they love a good story about consumer exploitation. Has anyone submitted this as a tip to the Sydney Morning Herald? Might do so now.
I don't get the feeling they like cyclists very much. Maybe if it was a single mum pensioner and somehow involve hoons and energy bills.

As for crc, I am hopeful that prices will come back down during sales (just make shimano temporarily happy) but this is another strike. I used to do bulk of my sopping there, after this it will be more like 10% if at all.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP I FORGOT TO LOOK AT THE PRICES FOR 8/9 SPEED STUFF!

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another strike for CRC. I don’t ride Shimano stuff but hate the idea of being arbitrarily screwed on price.

What about Box Components? I’ve got one of there cassettes which is heavy but has held up well. Anyone ridden the complete groupset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
Another strike for CRC. I don’t ride Shimano stuff but hate the idea of being arbitrarily screwed on price.

What about Box Components? I’ve got one of there cassettes which is heavy but has held up well. Anyone ridden the complete groupset?

Seth’s Bike Hacks on YouTube is now sponsored by Box he goes hard and they seem to as well.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
I’ve just ordered from CRC and included 2 Shimano BB’s. Had them in my basket before the block and they disappeared. Added them again after the 4th and they seemed to be the same price.
Got dispatch confirmation yesterday for everything except the Shimano parts - I suspect they’ll be sent from an Aus warehouse

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
Yeah but he rides a diamond back and wears their shirts too cos he's such a good sellout.
This is what you do for sponsorship. It’s how he makes a living and supports a family.

Next you will be calling Sam Hill a sell out for riding nukeproof and wearing CRC?

I have noticed the same sort of “sell out” comments for alternative/punk music.

The real sell outs are fan boys until the people they like have some success or become mainstream.

Seth hasn’t really changed his style in the years I’ve been watching him other than the fact it’s become a more professional show and he doesn’t swear anymore. It’s just more accessible- watch it with my wife and kids

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
CRC/Wiggle pretty much do what they like because they know that despite 15 or so years of Aussie cyclists choosing to buy offshore, the Australian retailers have learnt nothing!

In general the level of service provided by most bike shops is average at best! In the past few weeks I’ve tried several places for items and this is the result: email sent to TBE asking when a Maxxis tyre I needed would be back in stock.. No reply! I contacted MTB direct (who are always pretty good) about. Charger 2 damper which had only just sold out. I asked if they could get one in and i was told they will be in stock in about 2 weeks time. 2 days later when I ordered some tyres from them, I noticed the damper I enquired about was back in stock!WTF? I had just received delivery from another supplier where I paid $40 more! I contacted NS dynamics to see if they could supply the damper and received no reply! This is what we’re up against!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
CRC/Wiggle pretty much do what they like because they know that despite 15 or so years of Aussie cyclists choosing to buy offshore, the Australian retailers have learnt nothing!

In general the level of service provided by most bike shops is average at best! In the past few weeks I’ve tried several places for items and this is the result: email sent to TBE asking when a Maxxis tyre I needed would be back in stock.. No reply! I contacted MTB direct (who are always pretty good) about. Charger 2 damper which had only just sold out. I asked if they could get one in and i was told they will be in stock in about 2 weeks time. 2 days later when I ordered some tyres from them, I noticed the damper I enquired about was back in stock!WTF? I had just received delivery from another supplier where I paid $40 more! I contacted NS dynamics to see if they could supply the damper and received no reply! This is what we’re up against!
+1. If Australian distros and retailers want us to buy from them, they need to actually give a stuff and provide DECENT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

If the price is right, and it's in stock, then I'll buy local, if not, I'll see what the best price is online OS. Life is too short to be chasing retailers or distros who CBF getting customers the parts they want in a timely manner, with good communication if delays, and at a reasonable price.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
+1. If Australian distros and retailers want us to buy from them, they need to actually give a stuff and provide DECENT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

If the price is right, and it's in stock, then I'll buy local, if not, I'll see what the best price is online OS. Life is too short to be chasing retailers or distros who CBF getting customers the parts they want in a timely manner, with good communication if delays, and at a reasonable price.
+2

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It's pretty hard on the aussie retailer though. I mean putting 2 staff on to take enquiries might be chump change for a large operation like crc but for a local shop like pushys it is quite expensive. Scale that to 24/7 support even over holidays and it gets expensive fast.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's pretty hard on the aussie retailer though. I mean putting 2 staff on to take enquiries might be chump change for a large operation like crc but for a local shop like pushys it is quite expensive. Scale that to 24/7 support even over holidays and it gets expensive fast.
Steady on...CRC weren't offering 24 hour 365 day service last time I needed some help. I don't know about Pushy's, but MTD do a reasonable job of swift replies to email.

As for the expense aspect let's keep in mind that the hourly rate of retail employees is not particularly high and some employers pull shitty tricks like putting people on as part time to keep that hourly rate even lower, when the employee is actually casual.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes I get that, but two things
1) you haven't disputed what I said, only that it's justified for xyz reasons. But no less sold out.

2) Nice try on Sam Hill straw man but old mate rides bikes NO ONE else does because he is paid to and pretends to review things for sponsors under the guise of things you may or may not need. Why would I or anybody have any interest in an opinion that has so obviously been bought, unless I was personally or monetarily motivated to listen or agree with that spiel?

Striking thought: The above presumes his original agenda was pure and he's since deviated. On reflection I think that is stupidly naive and he's been pretty calculated the whole time. So maybe not a sellout afterall if he was always like that?

This is what you do for sponsorship. It’s how he makes a living and supports a family.

Next you will be calling Sam Hill a sell out for riding nukeproof and wearing CRC?

I have noticed the same sort of “sell out” comments for alternative/punk music.

The real sell outs are fan boys until the people they like have some success or become mainstream.

Seth hasn’t really changed his style in the years I’ve been watching him other than the fact it’s become a more professional show and he doesn’t swear anymore. It’s just more accessible- watch it with my wife and kids

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
Might need to rewatch some Seth vids but really don’t remember any fantastically biased reviews.

His also quite clear about who sponsors him and has done several videos, including as a guest for other shows, showing where his income comes from. He was originally a web developer who felt like he could make a living as a YouTuber and do the things he loves.

Point taken on Sam Hill. Was more making the point (rather poorly) that pro riders, even the best, are like Seth and survive on sponsors dollars. EWS rounds only have a min prize of 750 euros. Not making a living on that. It would not even cover the global travel. Sam needs those sponsor $ too.

Wether it be Seth or Sam people who work in the mtb world take what they can from sponsors to fuel doing what they do. It means they can do it full time as professionals be it a racer or a YouTuber. It means that it’s not a hobby while working a day job to pay the mortgage and feed family. Is that selling out or being fully dedicated to what your passionate about. I guess at the end of the day my opinion doesn’t match yours which is cool.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Might need to rewatch some Seth vids but really don’t remember any fantastically biased reviews.
I barely watch him for 2 reasons - I can't stand his voice and slow talking and his reviews are epic biased. It is like golden era Alan Jones or John Laws...

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
I barely watch him for 2 reasons - I can't stand his voice and slow talking and his reviews are epic biased. It is like golden era Alan Jones or John Laws...
Maybe the slow talking suits my brain power.

Definitely need to rewatch the reviews after 2 burners pointing this out....can’t say I’ve been drawn to diamond back, box or slime.

Alan Jones or John Laws....that’s an epic take down “you know what I mean”

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Maybe the slow talking suits my brain power.

Definitely need to rewatch the reviews after 2 burners pointing this out....can’t say I’ve been drawn to diamond back, box or slime.

Alan Jones or John Laws....that’s an epic take down “you know what I mean”

I'm thinking the telstra cash for comments era...

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Ok, might just be me, but is Shimano off the CRC website again (after it re-appearance on the 4th)? I was lucky enough to order in a bunch of stuff to fix the in-laws much abused 9sp bike in December last year, so was keen to compare the price to now. Given he's a stingy bugger with no concept of labour, skill, effort or cost, it's always handy to make the point VERY early that next time will be more expensive & how cheap it was this time.

Personally, I've been trying to move away from Shimano for a while now, the quality seems to have been on steady decline anway, or maybe it just didn't improve with the rest of the market. Seized hubs, quick to fail BB's, shifters just falling apart, and this was all on XT / Zee gear. This is just the straw that breaks the camel's back for me, I'll be finding alternatives from now on, same as I did with SRAM. Speaking of which, I've never really looked into it but is there a derailleur option that's not SRAM or Shimano? Other than the obvious choice of a Pinion gearbox of course, but I'd like to keep my frame...