Clear mountain!

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate it is Rider15's Dad who is looking into it. (He works for the council). Obviously it wouldn't be his number one priority at the present but I think he is doing his best for the mountain bike community. If you want to look into ways to help probably PM'ing rider15 would be your best bet, although I am unsure of whether a lot is being done at the moment.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh as far as I know its still going ahead. I spoke to dad and so far they've had the surveyers out at Clear Mtn to map out where the track is as some of the track is on state forest land so they need approval from the state forest to "use" their land so to speak. Once they have approval from the state forest it will continue from there. If the State Forest says no then it is a case of relocating that part of the track. But talking to Dad is definitely something they are trying to achieve.

Last edited:

jim_09

Likes Dirt
Yeh as far as I know its still going ahead. I spoke to dad and so far they've had the surveyers out at Clear Mtn to map out where the track as some of the track is on state forest land so they need approval from the state forest to "use" their land so to speak. Once they have approval from the state forest it will continue from there. If the State Forest says no then it is a case of relocating that part of the track. But talking to Dad is definitely something they are trying to achieve.
Random question but is your dads name Wes ?

Air time erik

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh as far as I know its still going ahead. I spoke to dad and so far they've had the surveyers out at Clear Mtn to map out where the track is as some of the track is on state forest land so they need approval from the state forest to "use" their land so to speak. Once they have approval from the state forest it will continue from there. If the State Forest says no then it is a case of relocating that part of the track. But talking to Dad is definitely something they are trying to achieve.
Well, give your dad a big pat on the back for actully getting that much done so far, and when help is needed, just shoot me a pm will be more then willing to help!

flatbeat

Likes Bikes
Clears good for a laugh, I just hope that if it goes through they build up the track more and not tame it for cross country lads (no offense).

Clears good for a laugh, I just hope that if it goes through they build up the track more and not tame it for cross country lads (no offense).
i agree. there are so many different areas for the xc guys to ride (like bunya, gap ck and daisy hill). i think it's about time they give us DHers somewhere to hone in our skills (maybe some of them need a bit of help in that area too). if they want to ride at clear mt they can always go around to mango's. they don't need to ride the tracks that are built for the big bikes.

jim_09

Likes Dirt
Not trying to be negative but Clear Mt isn't exactly the greatest place for a downhill track, it flattens out to much to early..Not saying it wouldn't help to have a legal location though.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not trying to be negative but Clear Mt isn't exactly the greatest place for a downhill track, it flattens out to much to early..Not saying it wouldn't help to have a legal location though.
Its not trying to be made into a race track or anything like that. Just to make it legal so that it can be maintained in a better condition and that it can be improved. Im sure many people will agree that it has alot of potential.

jim_09

Likes Dirt
Its not trying to be made into a race track or anything like that. Just to make it legal so that it can be maintained in a better condition and that it can be improved. Im sure many people will agree that it has alot of potential.
Fair point a lot of people will probably like it, and being able to maintain it regularly is good, but for all the time and money that is being put into making it legal wouldn't people want a track that isn't something you can just go and ride in bunya anyway..The main reason that is has some potentional is that its so close in to Brisbane (Northside anyway)..but if it does ever end up a legal track good on you and your dad for putting in the work..

Air time erik

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fair point a lot of people will probably like it, and being able to maintain it regularly is good, but for all the time and money that is being put into making it legal wouldn't people want a track that isn't something you can just go and ride in bunya anyway..The main reason that is has some potentional is that its so close in to Brisbane (Northside anyway)..but if it does ever end up a legal track good on you and your dad for putting in the work..
Hopefully all the jumps will be maintained and possible more rocks added! but if its made legal its a start. Seems that your dad has made alot more progress into legalizing DH in brisbane the guy thats meant to be incharge of trail development in brisbane.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are two different councils in Brisbane.

There is the Brisbane City Council and then there is Pine Rivers Shire Council, my dad works for pine rivers.

Has anyone been to Clear Mtn lately? What is the state its in now? Last time I went it was majorly overgrown at the top.

tumble

Likes Dirt
I was out there a fortnight ago. The top section does get over-grown if un-used for a week or two. It isn't in bad shape for a track that gets next to no maintenance & for a track which regularly gets dirt bikes ridden up & down it all the time.
Maybe your dad could answer this; If it gets legalized for DH bikes, is it possible to get it closed to dirt bikes & 4WDs? 2 out of the last half a dozen times Ive been, there have been dirt bikes fart-assing around on the fire road.
If it did get legalized, maybe the very top section could be used again, there's at least an extra 200-300m of the steepest part of the hill which isn't being used. Provided this isn't part of the State Forest, There's your rock garden right there!
I know some people might prefer it stay the way it is, hidden & quiet. I think this can only be a good thing. Too bad Brisbane City Council are too scared of the greenies to give up a bit more of the vast amount of nearby mountain range for such a thriving sport.
I wish him luck.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hopefully all the jumps will be maintained and possible more rocks added! but if its made legal its a start. Seems that your dad has made alot more progress into legalizing DH in brisbane the guy thats meant to be incharge of trail development in brisbane.
Who is the guy in charge of Trail Development in Brisbane????

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fair point a lot of people will probably like it, and being able to maintain it regularly is good, but for all the time and money that is being put into making it legal wouldn't people want a track that isn't something you can just go and ride in bunya anyway..
Beggars can't be choosers as they say?

Would you rather Clear Moutain the way it is (or possibly even closed now that is has been discovered it ventures onto National Park land) or a LEGAL downhill track, which while might not be on the largest mountain ever, is still triple the size of Mt Stromlo?

Who is the guy in charge of Trail Development in Brisbane????
Oppy?

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Beggars can't be choosers as they say?

Would you rather Clear Moutain the way it is (or possibly even closed now that is has been discovered it ventures onto National Park land) or a LEGAL downhill track, which while might not be on the largest mountain ever, is still triple the size of Mt Stromlo?

Oppy?

Righto so again on Farkin, people don't know what Oppy's job title is. This has be discussed a few times. Oppy is only in charge of implementing the BCC management plan for Mt Cootha forest park. Everything else he does is what he can outside of specific job to try and help access to more areas in SEQ.

I am also interested in what the big mountains are that are inside BCC. The only ones I can think of that have road access at Cootha and Gravatt.
I think there is no chance of getting a legal track on the inside ring of Cootha (gezz it was fun to ride there when we could) and who knows what happens at Gravatt, but I reckon the residents will be the problem.

With Clear, I see that the track that would be approved would probably actually be tamed down. It would end up just being a fun track but nothing challenging. I don't think I would ride it. I would prefer to go a little bit further up the road.

tumble

Likes Dirt
With Clear, I see that the track that would be approved would probably actually be tamed down. It would end up just being a fun track but nothing challenging. I don't think I would ride it. I would prefer to go a little bit further up the road.
Well maybe we tell them now not to waste all their effort to make it legal, if its just going to be another XC track. Theres plenty of them around already.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well maybe we tell them now not to waste all their effort to make it legal, if its just going to be another XC track. Theres plenty of them around already.
Still need to make baby steps. Every track we can get, if we look after it, has got to help us get even better ones in the future????

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
There are two different councils in Brisbane.

There is the Brisbane City Council and then there is Pine Rivers Shire Council, my dad works for pine rivers.

Has anyone been to Clear Mtn lately? What is the state its in now? Last time I went it was majorly overgrown at the top.

was out there on the weekend, still quite good since last time I had been out there (approx 6 months ago) corners & berms still getting blown out a little, but the jumps yeeeeeeewwwwwww awesome. :)

hope within time the track does become of legal age;)