Coconut water...

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
Powerade/Gatorade is evil and studies have shown that it contains more sugar than Coca Cola. Whenever I succumb to drinking it I always get a post-sugar-hit downer followed by extreme dehydration. It's very effective.
Funny you say that, I've stopped drinking it due to extreme dehydration and headaches after use also. I'm actually thinking about stopping my coffee drinking after rides....well for an hour or so anyway, long enough to hydrate.

Are you guys drinking the coconut water during the ride or after riding?

slowmick

38-39"
A the start of each Flu season the fijians increase their coconut intake to ward off the bugs. then again i think any ailment is treated with coconuts. Kind of like Blackadder and the leeches...

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
A the start of each Flu season the fijians increase their coconut intake to ward off the bugs. then again i think any ailment is treated with coconuts. Kind of like Blackadder and the leeches...
They probably also increase their kava intake ;-)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Powerade/Gatorade is evil and studies have shown that it contains more sugar than Coca Cola. Whenever I succumb to drinking it I always get a post-sugar-hit downer followed by extreme dehydration. It's very effective.
When the army started selling gatorade in vending machines around the barracks the workload of the dental unit went up by 30%. I got that straight from the horse's mouth.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Powerade/Gatorade is evil and studies have shown that it contains more sugar than Coca Cola.
Kind of curious to see this study, Gatorade has 6.3g of sugar per 100ml, coke has 10.4g of sugar per 100ml, I just looked in my fridge at the nutrition label :yo:

I am nominating gatorade as a superfood, it's directly attributed to winiing more medals and increased sustained aerobic performance more than any other food, this has been repeatedly shown since it's creation. It's not exactly a health food, but this has been well presented as such, you certainly don't need to be drinking for a ride around the block or while watching telly, but if you serious about sustained aerobic performance, and beating others, it works very, very well.

As a pedantic bastard I can link more, but here is a very small cross section of recent studies looking at gatorade like supplimentation.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/594170/CORP_33413_SSF_Sports_drinks_FS.pdf
http://www.gssiweb.org/en

American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Nutrition and athletic performance.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19225360

Carbohydrate intake during exercise and performance.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15212750

The use of carbohydrates during exercise as an ergogenic aid.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23846824

Effect of a carbohydrate mouth rinse on simulated cycling time-trial performance commenced in a fed or fasted state.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23438223

Evidence for coconut water:

Cryopreservation of boar sperm comparing different cryoprotectants associated in media based on powdered coconut water, lactose and trehalose.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25595634

There is actually a few studies, but they show gatorade is better.

Last edited:

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I dont use any sort of 'hydration' drinks during riding, however after a ride (or HIT session especially) i swear nothing rehydrates me like half a can of flat coke. I know theyre full of sugar and such, but it still seems as though nothing compares to that while sitting in the pool/shower then a protein shake afterwards for recovery's sake.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
By studies, you mean reading the label on the bottle?

Lol - it's wrong anyway, Gatorade std has 21g versus 35g in coke for 375ml.

I do fail to see how a rehydrating drink with some sugar in it is evil though

Edit - lol, just saw MWI post - I think the Gatorade is bad myth is now completely sunk.

Last edited:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Staminade powder is 6% sugars - 4.4 sucrose and 1.6 glucose. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it had only glucose in it last time I looked. No surprise really; glucose is more expensive and half as sweet.. Any rehydration product based on fructose or sucrose is a con. Glucose can be used by all cells. Fructose has to convert via a complex mechanism in the liver or change to free fatty acids and be stored as fat.

4% glucose in water with a trace of salt (1/8 teaspoon per litre) is a valid hydration mixture and cheap as well.

Here's a rehydration plan for you: pre and post exercise weigh. Immediately after exercise drink 600ml of commercial sports drink, one can of Coke, one can of full strength beer, eat one small pack of chips and then top up with water to 500g above the pre-exercise weight. You get water, energy without a rapid rise in blood glucose and crash because of the fat in the chips, caffeine and alcohol to ensure the kidneys are not stressed by dehydration, salt, improved skin blood flow because of the alcohol meaning more efficient cooling, a more interesting rehydration program than just sports drink and you have all these shiny packs and cans to keep you amused. No coconut water in sight though.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Staminade powder is 6% sugars - 4.4 sucrose and 1.6 glucose. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it had only glucose in it last time I looked. No surprise really; glucose is more expensive and half as sweet.. Any rehydration product based on fructose or sucrose is a con. Glucose can be used by all cells. Fructose has to convert via a complex mechanism in the liver or change to free fatty acids and be stored as fat.
My understanding is they use both glucose and sucrose as the carb transporters are different for each type, you you can be absorbing and bringing into the cell two types of sugar at once. It's been a while since I study sports nutrition / ergogenic aids but pretty sure that's the reason.

Another thing worth mentioning johnny, athletes are told they need to gulp the gatorade down and not swish it around their mouths and also must brush their teeth after competition as the dental issue is well documented, which with a dehydrated dry mouth is magnified. Not sure if athletes actually do this in reality, I presume a good coach would enforce it.

Edit - lol, just saw MWI post - I think the Gatorade is bad myth is now completely sunk.
Yeah, I certainly not saying its healthy, but performance and health live at the opposite ends of the exercise continuum, if you want to maximise performance, health will suffer. Although drunk in moderation following the AIS guidelines I can't see any real issues.

From my experiences, if I supplement Gatorade on a ride or a hike, I can ride / walk at a higher level for a lot longer, which more than offsets the calorie intake through greater calorie output.

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The reason most people drink Gatorade is because it contains electrolytes, which are supposed to increase rehydration rates (by increasing your 'thirst drive' ), they don't drink it for the calories/sugar. I agree with MWI in that products which assist top physical performance (and we're talking top level athletes here, not weekend warriors) are actually not very good for you. The problem I have with Gatorade is that I don't think it should have (the wrong kind of) sugar in it, that's just a cheap and nasty way to make it taste good (or at least acceptable) and appeal to the sugar-addicted masses. If I need a serious boost for high intensity output (like a 1000m+ hill climb on road bike), I'd be much more inclined to reach for a gel than some Gatorade. Not at all healthy, but it will help getting a good Strava time far more than some slightly sugary piss-water... I'd worry about rehydrating after the KOM was attained :heh:

http://thesilverclouddiet.com/2013/02/a-sugary-drink-with-a-toxic-secret/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/63889-bad-gatorade-ingredients/

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2013/01/28...rsial-ingredient-after-girls-online-petition/

Last edited:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Parma and chips..........THAT'S a superfood.
my other half would agree with you there :)

as someone who works in the complementary therapies field i'm VERY sceptical of all this "superfood" crap, i see it as just another way to make money off the gullible masses. same reason i won't go to a naturopath who sells on ready-made pills instead of using tinctures that can be customised for each client.

herbal medicine has been around since pre-history, and then refined by our "modern" medicine ie: willowbark to synthetic aspirin, valerian to Valium, foxglove to digitalis etc. all this "superfood" crap is simply the "health" food industry cherrypicking tried and true herbal and supplementary home remedies. my English food-gardening great-grandmother swore by cod liver oil, a byproduct of cod fishing, and epsom salts. these days we're sold unsustainably netted krill oil and expensive magnesium tablets instead.

get my drift?

in Ayurvedic medicine (from India) coconut oil is used in daily abhyunga to help control Kapha overgrowth, which is obesity. coconut oil in my daily coffee certainly staves off the mid-morning sugar cravings but there's no way i could do the Bulletproof coffee thing, i just didn't like the taste. i tried it for a couple of weeks and nope, not for me.

the one reason i don't use gatorade etc personally is the artificial colour and flavours, i find the blue in particular can give me asthma symptoms. i'm not an asthmatic. however, my other half works as a truck tyre fitter and i make him 3 litres of Staminade a day to take to work even in winter. he can go through twice that on a 40+ degree day. reading the labels, Staminade seems to be the least nasty of all the "sports" drinks.

Last edited:

Beej1

I use coconut water in my green smoothies, when I can be bothered having them. I don't mind the taste of it on it's own - to me it tastes like water with hint of malted barley. But I've never followed the trend of using it as an electrolyte drink after a ride. I just pop one of those electrolyte tablets in some cold water. I can't remember which ones I use (got them from CRC or Wiggle) but they have no sugar and I think just a tiny amount of maltitol - it's certainly not sweet.

I'm a little bit intolerant of fructose and other fermentable sugars, so I avoid pretty much any pre-mixed sweet drink including Gatorade/Powerade/Powerthirst. Maltitol isn't great either, but so far these tablets are OK. I think I'd like to try the DIY method with the minerals/salts mixed with a little glucodin powder (essentially, just glucose).

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I have no idea on the nutritional qualities of it but THE most refreshing drink I've ever experienced is freshly squeezed watermelon and pineapple juice.
with a hint of ginger ... sux when warm though, so definitely not an "on trail" beverage

I'm slurping on a Green Time 98% CoConut Water now ... 7.8g per 100ml ... 42mg Sodium ... however per serve 40.65g sugars, 218mg Sodium ...

Salt must be needed to get rid of the Sourness others have mentioned ?? *shrugs ... every brand of coconut water I've tasted is the same flavour and smell ?? but all are canned so maybe thats the link ??

scblack

Leucocholic
Anyone have any info on the qualities of Beetroot juice for endurance? I recall Manly league team making their players drink it the night before games.

I love the taste, but if its a good booster, even better still!

hayd

Likes Dirt
Anyone have any info on the qualities of Beetroot juice for endurance? I recall Manly league team making their players drink it the night before games.

I love the taste, but if its a good booster, even better still!
I know it's anecdotal, and possibly just a placebo effect, but I always feel I perform better if I’ve had about 400mL of beetroot juice 30 mins before a race or hard ride.

This article gives a good summary of where the research stands (as of 2 years ago) http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/04/beetroot-juice-good-science-or-great-marketing-hype/

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Since you seem to be discussing electrolyte drinks now, anyone want to weigh in on 100PLUS. It's a Malaysian one. I don't really drink anything but water for hydration but I'd like to see how it goes.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
my other half would agree with you there :)

as someone who works in the complementary therapies field i'm VERY sceptical of all this "superfood" crap, i see it as just another way to make money off the gullible masses. same reason i won't go to a naturopath who sells on ready-made pills instead of using tinctures that can be customised for each client.

herbal medicine has been around since pre-history, and then refined by our "modern" medicine ie: willowbark to synthetic aspirin, valerian to Valium, foxglove to digitalis etc. all this "superfood" crap is simply the "health" food industry cherrypicking tried and true herbal and supplementary home remedies. my English food-gardening great-grandmother swore by cod liver oil, a byproduct of cod fishing, and epsom salts. these days we're sold unsustainably netted krill oil and expensive magnesium tablets instead.

get my drift?

in Ayurvedic medicine (from India) coconut oil is used in daily abhyunga to help control Kapha overgrowth, which is obesity. coconut oil in my daily coffee certainly staves off the mid-morning sugar cravings but there's no way i could do the Bulletproof coffee thing, i just didn't like the taste. i tried it for a couple of weeks and nope, not for me.

the one reason i don't use gatorade etc personally is the artificial colour and flavours, i find the blue in particular can give me asthma symptoms. i'm not an asthmatic. however, my other half works as a truck tyre fitter and i make him 3 litres of Staminade a day to take to work even in winter. he can go through twice that on a 40+ degree day. reading the labels, Staminade seems to be the least nasty of all the "sports" drinks.
Totally agree. My better half is pretty into her nutrition and goes to great lengths to keep her food clean/unprocessed. But the overwhelming pattern is just LOTS of fresh vegetables/fruit, lean small portions of meat/fish, limited refined carbs and sugars and plenty of water. Then she'll just add in some quinoa/legumes and other bits and pieces. No hocus-pocus super food, or activated nuts or whatever else they're trying sell you. She's at the gym everyday and plays/trains gridiron 3 times a week. Never sick, always fit, always recovers fast, strong as an ox, lean and plenty of endurance. If only she liked bikes!

I've heard the same re staminade too, the only energy drink with magnesium?