Coconut water...

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"i make him 3 litres of Staminade a day to take to work even in winter. he can go through twice that on a 40+ degree day. reading the labels, Staminade seems to be the least nasty of all the "sports" drinks."

That's 30 teaspoons of sugar and another 15 of glucose. That's not sport, it's death. If his teeth don't fall out first, he will enjoy his diabetes soon.

Beetroot shots are all the go on US Strava. Boy racers argue the individual benefits of this brand over that and how 4000 beetroots are concentrated into a gel pack.

To quote Michael Pollan (IIRC) "Man is the only species on Earth that needs to be told what to eat", or in this case drink. I'm sure elite athletes benefit from the fringe of nutritional advice, but the jury is out whether it all turns out to be beneficial in old age (don't quote me research from the generation before "sport" drink).

Here's a thought for during and after riding; if you are thirsty drink, if you crave a certain drink or food go for it, plan to eat a healthy meal within 2 hours of riding, get in a hot shower, cool swim or other stimulus for your system. Listen to your body, because there's a good chance it will not say coconut water most days of the week.

Here's a thought for during and after riding; if you are thirsty drink, if you crave a certain drink or food go for it, plan to eat a healthy meal within 2 hours of riding, get in a hot shower, cool swim or other stimulus for your system. Listen to your body, because there's a good chance it will not say coconut water most days of the week.
My body says "beer" most of the time

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
I'm going to give the Himalayan salt a go tonight, hope to see some results.
I've been getting cramps in my calves during my rides, generally after about 20k's. As far as i can tell I'm staying hydrated with enough water. Plus I have the odd gel along the way.

I just wanted to know if people mix it with there riding water or have it afterwards. I plan to put a pinch in my bottle for the ride.

scblack

Leucocholic
Often for my road rides I'll make a home-made staminade:
  • Standard drink bottle
  • cordial to taste (for sugar, and taste)
  • small teaspoon of table salt
  • Shake the shit out of it to mix salt in.
I never cramp from riding, but when its hot I like the salt there.

The last few months I have cut the sugar and salt out and found no reduction in performance or any cramping, so I'll stick to plain old tap water.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
That's 30 teaspoons of sugar and another 15 of glucose. That's not sport, it's death. If his teeth don't fall out first, he will enjoy his diabetes soon.

Beetroot shots are all the go on US Strava.
his teeth are perfect and he's just nudging 95kg at 6'3". with his job, i doubt he'd have an excess calorie intake issue.

I'm going to give the Himalayan salt a go tonight, hope to see some results.
I've been getting cramps in my calves during my rides, generally after about 20k's. As far as i can tell I'm staying hydrated with enough water. Plus I have the odd gel along the way.

I just wanted to know if people mix it with there riding water or have it afterwards. I plan to put a pinch in my bottle for the ride.
i mix with water and a dash of red grapefruit juice. tastes better going down :) i'd think pretty much any not-too-refined salt would be fine.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Had to quote that one...

Excess sugar consumption has a reasonable link to type 2 diabetes.
Check google scholar, there is a fair bit of info there.
Yes, and it's all quite recent data that suggests it's independent of obesity. This I find to be a wholly disconcerting thing for my lifestyle! :(

Though I still think simple sugars are best during extended hard exercise where you are depleting your glycogen stores ( make it easiest for your body to replete)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, my grandfather was never fat but loved his creamy cakes, sugary slices and fizzy drinks. Type 2 by the time he was 60. No idea if there was any causation there though.

As for hydration and cramps, I really don't know about that. I ride in pretty much any heat, don't pay any attention to hydration and I've never cramped in my life (cue Rob-74). So I'm at least a little skeptical that hydration is the main factor. I also can't think that I've ever used a sports drink for recovery in my life. I've once had to do hydralyte due to days of vomit/diarrhea but that's it. I'm not a thin bloke, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Last edited:

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
As for hydration and cramps, I really don't know about that. I ride in pretty much any heat, don't pay any attention to hydration and I've never cramped in my life (cue Rob-74). So I'm at least a little skeptical that hydration is the main factor. I also can't think that I've ever used a sports drink for recovery in my life. I've once had to do hydralyte due to days of vomit/diarrhea but that's it. I'm not a thin bloke, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
Perhaps you have good levels of magnesium in your body due to foods that you eat. I've been talking magnesium for a while now but dropped it as my cramps stopped. I'll probably start taking it again the day before rides as it was working for me.

I'll also continue to try the salt thing for a week or two and see if that also helps. It's cheap and sound practical. Don't really want to start buying coconut water.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Had to quote that one...

Excess sugar consumption has a reasonable link to type 2 diabetes.
Check google scholar, there is a fair bit of info there.
Yeah, my grandfather was never fat but loved his creamy cakes, sugary slices and fizzy drinks. Type 2 by the time he was 60. No idea if there was any causation there though.
FIL has type 2 from sitting on his arse watching Foxtel for six years and eating crap all day. he got to 150kg at 5'4".

MIL has blood sugars of 10 plus and eats crap. no green veg, only pumpkin, potatoes, and carrots. neither of them exercise at all. they also have the worst sleep pattern i've ever seen, up at 10 am to bed at 2am.

chronic stress levels and high cortisol levels are more of a factor as well as fat-to-muscle ratio. unless you're a triathalete or marathon runner (way different usage of body fat) a reasonably fit and active person can consume refined sugars and be ok. i'm NOT saying it's optimal, but a weaker mix of Staminade is all i can get into my OH as he struggles with plain water.

our diet is fresh veg, a little fruit, meat, slowcooker meals, home made Kefir yogurt, and a reasonable amount of cheese. the OH doesn't drink coffee or tea and very little soft drink or juice. i stick to one coffee, not every day, and eat way less sugar than the OH does. yet i'm the one who struggles with weight.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
[HR][/HR]
I'm not a thin bloke, and ride slower than molasses, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
You're a lucky bugger then Johnny. I have a hell of a time with cramping. I've found if I'm doing a ride over 30km in heat I drink 600ml of staminade or something, before the ride and more during and I'm good. Plus I take magnesium. Nothing more fucking annoying than cramping before you feel tired in your legs and that's what was happening to me all the time. I don't have a lot of salt in my diet really though. Might be something in that too. And I'm lean :tape2:....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
My diet is pretty normal - lots of salad/veg, regular fruit and nut, almost no soft drinks, not much booze, beef, lamb, chicken, sometimes pork, sometimes fish. Not much bread or pasta, around 3 cups of coffee per day, chocolate and sugary shit only around Xmas and most definitely no shit like McD's, KFC or crap like that.

Nothing out of the ordinary there that I can tell which ups mag levels. I do drink a lot of milk, if that's relevant.

I can induce something like a cramp if I tense the hell out of a muscle for a few mins but it's not really a cramp because it just locks, it doesn't knot.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Magnesium et al is a bit of an unknown as far as cramp causes go. Cramp is a big unknown, lots of speculations for cause and treatment. You can be lucky and not suffer at all.

It might help an individual but it doesn't follow that it will help the next guy