Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Anyone else get fired up about espressos? I'm super picky.
IMO most cafes make shitty espressos. You get one shot (*pun definitely intended), maybe two, with me. Crap espresso gets your cafe relegated to mid-tier "flat white only" status, or the lowest ranked "coffee flavoured beverage establishment". Some places just don't put the effort in to make it consistently well. I don't take the risk unless I'm pretty sure it'll be excellent.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Coffee drinking has undeniable Italian origins, and that's reflected in the use of Italian words for most of the orders: espresso, macchiato, ristretto, cappucino, doppio, affogato, etc.
Latte is Italian for milk; cafe, obviously being the "coffee" part of that equation.

"Ch" in Italian is more of an Aussie "K", so yeah "Marz-zoh-kee". C followed by a vowel is usually what gives us an aussie "ch" so "fock-car-chee-ah".
And chinotto is obviously KIN (as in members of your family), and OTTO (as in "Von Bismark").

Pronunciation aside, over 50's are the worst! At least i'm being a pretentious 32 year old! :D
Sorry I should have made the tongue-in-cheek dig at Pinkbike pronunciation clearer; my partner is from Bologna and I’ve spent a lot of time there (now who’s being a pretentious thirty year old? :oops:). I haven’t spent as much time learning the language as I should have but my fundamentals are sound.

My point was more about the evolution of language and culture than its strict origins/ - the latte you buy in Australia is not the same drink as a cafe latte you might buy in Italy (if you were a dorky tourist anyway :p) and so the word “latte” in Australian vernacular means a mixing of espresso and milk of vaguely-defined proportions and characteristics, not just the milk.

• Love
Reactions: Zaf

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I know, I’m working on it haha. My comprehension is decent but speaking needs practice.

Anyway, coffee. Italian coffee is trash. :D

Reactions: Zaf

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I've been making my coffee with an aeropress at home for going on 5 years. I was getting a pretty consistent result with my temperature controlled kettle and a rough recipe in my head. I only recently got a hand powered ceramic grinder and now know what real coffee tastes like o_O

I'm also 32 and pretentious enough to say I reckon I can make an almond latte better than 60% of the cafe's in this town :D #coffeesnobstatusachieved

Calvin27

Eats Squid
But i'd personally be going for a higher quality stovetop option (like a Bellman or Taylor and Ng) than a cheaper machine.
Hate stovetop ones. never liked the stuff that came out of moka pots, and had a go at a mates 'little guy' was ok, but my god the amount of bits to clean!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Aha fuck that, sure fire sign of a wanker in a cafe. Nothing screams boomer dickhead like ordering a caffe latte (or worse, any coffee but said with a faux-Italian accent) in Australia.

"Yeah g'day, we'll grab a coupla flat woites, a mugachino, and I'll have an espresso thanks pal"
I can see you as a ChaiChoccoCCino kinda guy!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Very nice. How'd did you end up not having that anymore?

Aha fuck that, sure fire sign of a wanker in a cafe. Nothing screams boomer dickhead like ordering a caffe latte (or worse, any coffee but said with a faux-Italian accent) in Australia.

"Yeah g'day, we'll grab a coupla flat woites, a mugachino, and I'll have an espresso thanks pal"
The ultimate boomer drink isn't the caffaaaaay lartay, it's the mugachino. Often on skim. Always extra hot. They must have mouths made of leather.

Coffee drinking has undeniable Italian origins, and that's reflected in the use of Italian words for most of the orders: espresso, macchiato, ristretto, cappucino, doppio, affogato, etc.
Latte is Italian for milk; cafe, obviously being the "coffee" part of that equation.

"Ch" in Italian is more of an Aussie "K", so yeah "Marz-zoh-kee". C followed by a vowel is usually what gives us an aussie "ch" so "fock-car-chee-ah".
And chinotto is obviously KIN (as in members of your family), and OTTO (as in "Von Bismark").

Pronunciation aside, over 50's are the worst! At least i'm being a pretentious 32 year old! :D
I think the origins of coffee are either the horn of Africa or the bottom of the Arabian peninsula. Both areas tell of the goatherd who ate the cherries and got high after seeing his goats do it. It did eventually make it to Europe and Italian language, culture, and methods dominate the Australian coffee scene. Even though we have bastardised it pretty bad and ignore a lot of it. I need a coffee pretty bad.

at the end of the day, it’s still going to be a wanker that orders a “café latte”.
Quite true.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

Reminds me of:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Very nice. How'd did you end up not having that anymore?
Bit misleading, obviously never had a PB in my kitchen, but owned a cafe/wine bar/bakery in London for a couple of years until we had a falling out with our investors so I left the business and moved back to Aus.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bit misleading, obviously never had a PB in my kitchen, but owned a cafe/wine bar/bakery in London for a couple of years until we had a falling out with our investors so I left the business and moved back to Aus.
Ahhhh...because those single group machines are damn sexy.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Ahhhh...because those single group machines are damn sexy.
Yeah they're gorgeous. Maybe one day if I ever actually own a house (and can spend $6k on a coffee machine...) I'll get one. Not sure my landlord would appreciate me cutting holes in the benchtop to plumb one in :p