Coil conversion vs coil fork

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
I want to switch to a coil fork, my options are
A) buy a coil conversion (vorsprung) and change my lyrik ultimate to a coil, likely saving a few hundred grams and a couple hundred dollars
or
B) just buy a coil fork where the dampener and coil spring were designed together and sell the lyrik to help cover most of the cost of a whole new fork?
And I guess the real wild card is
C) the for spring secus to help with that small bump sensitivity

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I think all the coil forks that are for sale are basically adaptions.

The Marzocchi (Fox 36 Rhythm) are just air with a coil / insert and I'm not really aware of any other company that does a coil aftermarket. Maybe Ohlins, but I'd have to look that up to confirm that... :p

teK--

Eats Squid
I think all the coil forks that are for sale are basically adaptions.

The Marzocchi (Fox 36 Rhythm) are just air with a coil / insert and I'm not really aware of any other company that does a coil aftermarket. Maybe Ohlins, but I'd have to look that up to confirm that... :p
You forgot the Push ACS3!

If you're set on a coil you would probably rule out the Secus.

The question is which of the benefits do you want from a coil? If it's consistent performance no matter the temp or altitude then coil is the best.

I can confirm setting up the vorsprung can be a bit fiddly but the results are worth it.

Main thing to be wary of with the coil forks off the shelf is they don't offer many spring choices, whereas with vorsprung and push they offer 5lb increments. This is crucial for getting an optimal setup.

goobags

Likes Dirt
As above, not sure what the spring rate offerings are from the OEM coil forks but you definitely want a good range. I run the next spring rate up for my weight recommendation and still use a bit of bottom out control with my ACS3.

The RC2 damper on the ultimate will give you enough adjustment for an ACS3 - just.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I run the next spring rate up for my weight recommendation and still use a bit of bottom out control with my ACS3.
I am the opposite, running the lower ACS3 spring.

Was 85kg but covid-gut has me at 93kg, I run the blue spring on a Fox 36. Still have never went all 160mm with 0psi in the air damper.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
What travel/offset/budget? I had the CC Helm coil and it is great. The only reason it isn’t on my Enduro is that it maxs‘ out at 160. The Gen 1s can be had for close to the $1k mark.
What about the Formula Selva C? Öhlins for sure if you dig proprietary servicing.
Current Lyrik has the Smashpot: not as happy as with the Helm but it poos all over air sprung for my tiny mind.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
What travel/offset/budget? I had the CC Helm coil and it is great. The only reason it isn’t on my Enduro is that it maxs‘ out at 160. The Gen 1s can be had for close to the $1k mark.
What about the Formula Selva C? Öhlins for sure if you dig proprietary servicing.
Current Lyrik has the Smashpot: not as happy as with the Helm but it poos all over air sprung for my tiny mind.
I had and enjoyed the old cc coil helm but sold it with my old bike(which was on a heavy rig) and wanted to ride something a bit lighter and wanted to see what the new air forks were like. And the selva is interesting but the proprietary servicing does scare me away.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
You forgot the Push ACS3!

If you're set on a coil you would probably rule out the Secus.

The question is which of the benefits do you want from a coil? If it's consistent performance no matter the temp or altitude then coil is the best.

I can confirm setting up the vorsprung can be a bit fiddly but the results are worth it.

Main thing to be wary of with the coil forks off the shelf is they don't offer many spring choices, whereas with vorsprung and push they offer 5lb increments. This is crucial for getting an optimal setup.
What was fiddly about the set up?

And fortunately/unfortunately due to my size spring selection is usually pretty easy I'm the 110kg with riding gear, so I'm usually just the heaviest spring

teK--

Eats Squid
What was fiddly about the set up?

And fortunately/unfortunately due to my size spring selection is usually pretty easy I'm the 110kg with riding gear, so I'm usually just the heaviest spring
Setting the preload takes trial and error, and also every so often you need to check with the heatshrink hasn't slipped down the spring. (The second issue is typical of most coil forks though. Can be mitigated if you do a quality install)

Always budget for 2 springs U just never know where you'll sit no matter how good the spring charts are. A slightly too firm or soft spring can make you hate coil fork.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Always budget for 2 springs U just never know where you'll sit no matter how good the spring charts are. A slightly too firm or soft spring can make you hate coil fork.
Cyclinic did my conversion, they supplied the green spring originally, after 1 ride I knew it was too hard, they express posted me the blue spring that day, I had it the next day, then sent the green one back to them.

I have had awesome service from both Cyclinic and NSD in the past.

teK--

Eats Squid
Yeah also forget sag measurements from air forks it doesn't convert over to coil since there is a much firmer midstroke.

If I was to measure the sag I would certainly be running more in the coil compared to air. Also the spring charts don't take into account head angle which can make a difference to the correct spring weight .

That's why it's all about how the fork feels when riding, and it can take trying a couple of springs to hit the sweet spot.