Comments on the Cairns XC WC course and its high technical difficulty

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
In the current issue of AMB Dan McConnell and Bec Henderson [two of Australia's leading world class XC competitors] are asked to comment on the increasing level of difficulty for WC XC courses
On page 63 Ben says "it seems to be more common in countries where the sport is less popular, where its perceived that bigger features make for bigger audiences"
Bec is quoted as saying "We are yet to see the Cairns course, but it sounds like its heading more in the four-cross, downhill direction, which is not what we do, really: we're on 100mm hard tails with a small bucket on our heads"
I am fortunate enough to live in the Cairns area and have had the opportunity to ride the WC XC course several times since completion in recent months. I could in no way be considered an "elite" level rider, in fact I am a 50 year old bloke with good fitness but a decidedly average skill set, however I can successfully negotiate the lap [with the exception of the "rockslide" which admittedly does my head in] with some degree of speed and control
If a rider of my standard can handle the lap on a dual suspension trail bike then surely a world class XC rider should have no trouble on a 100mm hard tail with their undoubtedly vastly superior fitness and theoretically stratospheric skills?
My point being that if Bec thinks that its "not what they do" and that "they are on 100mm hardtails" maybe she should consider riding a 100mm dual suspension bike with wider bars and slacker head angle or even something with longer travel or perhaps [Gasp, shock and horror] actually improve her skill set if she elects to stay on the hard tail!.
Or maybe it is "what they do" in world XC now and Bec needs to step up
Surely the XC category of our sport at the very highest level should not only be a test of fitness but also a true test of technical skill?

Who would you prefer to see crowned XC WC champ: the rider with superior fitness but a smaller set of skills or the slightly less adept climber but one with much better bike handling skills?

The course is not in any way a four cross or downhill track, those claims are absurd.
It is a common topic among riders around the trailheads and rest stops on group rides that often there is not enough emphasis on bike handling skill in XC races and more on fitness. The RRR classic for example really only has one section [the bump track] where a rider with superior bike handling skills can hope to make ground on a part time MTBer, full time, leg shaving, 400km a week roady who brushes the cob webs from his MTB maybe once or twice a year. The majority of the 35km short course is a fire road & beach drag race where skill counts for nothing.
Do we really want to see this at the highest level?
The design of a course at WC level should demand the highest level of not only fitness but also skill from the riders.
If a rider doesn't feel they can ride it safely on a "100mm hard tail with a small bucket on their head" then I think the course designers and builders have done a brilliant job and eliminated those from the results who don't have the skill set to ride at the highest level of competitive mountain biking.

A bit harsh maybe but I am sure I am not alone in thinking this.

Comments welcomed

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I reckon you're being a little harsh. Firstly, its one thing to ride a course and another thing entirely to race it, particularly on lap 6 where your legs are burning, head's swimming and tongue hanging out. Things get dangerous quickly with a bit of fatigue in the mix. Secondly, the speed at which the elite XC racers tackle courses has to be seen to be believed. That speed in itself makes things more dangerous, without course designers having to add more DH oriented obstacles. I can understand why WC competitors don't want the added danger of more technical courses.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Who would you prefer to see crowned XC WC champ: the rider with superior fitness but a smaller set of skills or the slightly less adept climber but one with much better bike handling skills?

Well I consider watching XC racing a bit more interesting than watching paint dry
But I could watch DH racing all day

So I would prefer better handling skills and more difficult courses
That way i won't switch off the XC and miss the DH

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
If it comes down to fitness, might as well be a road race.
*Disclaimer* I am an unfit cyclist who scoffs at these super fit Lycra posers as they rocket past me..........and I'm a gumby, who admires these super skilful riders, from under my bike, as they rocket past my broken and bleeding carcass.

.dan.

Likes Dirt
I'm a downhiller nowadays, but have been riding and racing XC since before I started DH. Even before I got into DH I thought that most XC courses I had ridden in Australia and seen overseas were far too easy skillswise. I do think that a fair portion of the WC XC field are lacking skills, they have excellent fitness but can't ride technical terrain to save their lives. All the proof is there, when you see these riders jumping off their bikes to run down a section of track they deem difficult. If riders such as Bec aren't happy about racing difficult trails, perhaps they should reconsider why they ride MOUNTAIN BIKES!

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I reckon you're being a little harsh. Firstly, its one thing to ride a course and another thing entirely to race it, particularly on lap 6 where your legs are burning, head's swimming and tongue hanging out. Things get dangerous quickly with a bit of fatigue in the mix. Secondly, the speed at which the elite XC racers tackle courses has to be seen to be believed. That speed in itself makes things more dangerous, without course designers having to add more DH oriented obstacles. I can understand why WC competitors don't want the added danger of more technical courses.
"where your legs are burning, head's swimming and tongue hanging out. Things get dangerous quickly with a bit of fatigue in the mix"

This comment sounds like the condition of practically every single weekend warrior that rides the course on the weekends at the end of one lap!

There are no real downhill features on the course! at no time in a lap are your forced to jump anything if you choose not to. You will be slow if you don't but hey, that's the game isn't it?
Come one, these guys are supposed to be the worlds best. Risk and danger come with the territory. It is called "Mountain biking" for a reason, mountains have rocks, roots, boulders, ravines, gulleys, steep scree slopes, waterfalls etc, Its not called "gravel road riding with the occasional lump and bump and maybe the odd steepish climb"
The winner is the entrant who can balance risk vs reward, skill, speed, fitness etc to the greatest advantage and come out on top.
There are A and B lines, if the fastest line is the A line and the rider is prepared to run the risk and has the skills to pull it off surely they are the rightful winner.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
In the current issue of AMB .............
There's your first problem. ;)

racer's on the downhill scene very commonly change bikes and the fittings to adapt to a given course depending on what that course consists of. I've seen this time and time again where the XC crowd don't budge with their gear and then bitch and moan about the difficulty of a course whether it be to easy or too hard. It's world cup, you're supposedly an elite rider...........where's the problem? Take the B line or work on your skills I say. If that doesn't suit you then piss off and make room for someone who'll jump at the chance.

I bet Jared Graves loves the course and it's tricky parts. He's a fit guy with skills that you don't hear whining about the lack of funding and hard times on his bike. I hope he enter s the XC in Cairns and wins just to stick it up the pompous XC crowd.

indica

Serial flasher
Sookie fucking blouses.

BTW Jeff you old cbomb, I rode the rock slide, but then I took almost an hour to do a lap.
The course is not harder than the one Rowney rode without a seat, that had the original rockslide in it.
The added features give bonus time, if you are daft enough to ride a 100mm hardtail then you may well just whoop it up all the sneaky a-lines on the climb which will save possible more time than the 8 metre blind step down.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
If someone's complaining, then it's all good, as long as it's not half the field and only a few.

We don't see many crashes in an xc event . Shame cairns is so far away, I'd love to see with my own eyes what the fuss is about , coz rocks and stuff never look bad on video.

Never thought anything was difficult at any of the xc races I've been to - well Patterson had an a line that was well missable in the first year at the dam ( for anyone who went)

golden path

Banned
This course has been grizzled about for years.

Mayhap it's time pro's moved to more realistic trailbikes, or 100m travel duallies with real tyres - which is what the average "trail rider" is riding. Moreso than spindly guitar-weight hardtails with negative stems and semi slick tyres...

What's "cross country" apart from a few laps of what is essentially a trail section?

marc.r

Likes Dirt
put me down for the stop winging and learn to mountain bike.

if your just a fitness freak who considers mountain bike a sport where you can have success with a slightly lower VO2 max then road racing or triathlon because of the smaller numbers of elite competitors then maybe you should assess your reason for riding.

im cool with everyone who wants to mountain bike be they road riding converts or anything but mountain biking should always pride bike handling and braveness just as much as cardio fitness. maybe XC should aim for 70 30 cardio to skills, gravity enduro 30 70 and downhill 15 85.

as XC bikes have gotten better it seems the only advances embraced by the XC community are ones that make them lighter, stiffer, better power transfer and crazy geometry so they can be better climbers. maybe they got with the program and picked up something that can descend if their skills arnt up to it. there are always exceptions if your good enough... see graves pilot a 100mm hardtail with a broken fork giving him a head angle of about 73 to victory in an XCO national rounds.

teK--

Eats Squid
IMHO XC Racing is boring as batshit to watch on TV. Particularly the women's as so many walk the rock gardens or still crash riding the B lines.

Don't blame them in some ways with their high up seatposts and crazy bar drops, but it would be more interesting to watch if there was more technical skill required, and it may even force them to suck an extra 400g and fit a dropper post ;).

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In the current issue of AMB Dan McConnell and Bec Henderson [two of Australia's leading world class XC competitors] are asked to comment on the increasing level of difficulty for WC XC courses
On page 63 Ben says "it seems to be more common in countries where the sport is less popular, where its perceived that bigger features make for bigger audiences"
Bec is quoted as saying "We are yet to see the Cairns course, but it sounds like its heading more in the four-cross, downhill direction, which is not what we do, really: we're on 100mm hard tails with a small bucket on our heads"
I am fortunate enough to live in the Cairns area and have had the opportunity to ride the WC XC course several times since completion in recent months. I could in no way be considered an "elite" level rider, in fact I am a 50 year old bloke with good fitness but a decidedly average skill set, however I can successfully negotiate the lap [with the exception of the "rockslide" which admittedly does my head in] with some degree of speed and control
If a rider of my standard can handle the lap on a dual suspension trail bike then surely a world class XC rider should have no trouble on a 100mm hard tail with their undoubtedly vastly superior fitness and theoretically stratospheric skills?
My point being that if Bec thinks that its "not what they do" and that "they are on 100mm hardtails" maybe she should consider riding a 100mm dual suspension bike with wider bars and slacker head angle or even something with longer travel or perhaps [Gasp, shock and horror] actually improve her skill set if she elects to stay on the hard tail!.
Or maybe it is "what they do" in world XC now and Bec needs to step up
Surely the XC category of our sport at the very highest level should not only be a test of fitness but also a true test of technical skill?

The course is not in any way a four cross or downhill track, those claims are absurd.
It is a common topic among riders around the trailheads and rest stops on group rides that often there is not enough emphasis on bike handling skill in XC races and more on fitness. The RRR classic for example really only has one section [the bump track] where a rider with superior bike handling skills can hope to make ground on a part time MTBer, full time, leg shaving, 400km a week roady who brushes the cob webs from his MTB maybe once or twice a year. The majority of the 35km short course is a fire road & beach drag race where skill counts for nothing.
Do we really want to see this at the highest level?
The design of a course at WC level should demand the highest level of not only fitness but also skill from the riders.
If a rider doesn't feel they can ride it safely on a "100mm hard tail with a small bucket on their head" then I think the course designers and builders have done a brilliant job and eliminated those from the results who don't have the skill set to ride at the highest level of competitive mountain biking.

A bit harsh maybe but I am sure I am not alone in thinking this.

Comments welcomed
I could have written that. Agree 100%

I gave up even racing XC because there was no reward for bike skills, it was all about motor size.

houli77

Likes Dirt
I'll be riding shuttles at kuranda on WC Sunday pretending I'm sik mik or Sam Hill, I don't pay money to watch men in lycra. Boo hoo if they go over the bars and skin their shaven legs cause that can't handle the course.. Actually that would be the only draw card for me to go on Sunday, watching "athletes" with seatposts fair up their arse eat shit cause they're used to riding fire trail and road bikes.. Ha ha brutal I'm sorry... But true..

Fuck amb, revo all the way..

madflap

Likes Dirt
I spoke with Glen JACOBS about this very thing recently when some comment was made that certain parts of the track are seen as difficult and very technical.
Glens response is the trails are built to test the best in the world.
I agree with that because is that not what we want to see when we watch the best in the world race? They are not built for the standard trail rider.
I think that is what they will do if elite riders are already passing comment on them.
XC and DH courses have developed over the years and will continue to develop as skill sets improve. Not much for that DH versus XC rubbish.
Cairns will definately test the Worlds best. Both the XC and the DH. There are a lines and b lines, in the XC the climbing is tough and the descents are technical and steep. In the DH it is steep, off camber and with a bit of water pretty damn slippery.
Not only will the Cairns tracks test them physically it will test them tactically. Cairns is setting a new standard and moving MTB to a new level, just like it did in 1996.
See you in the tropics for an awesome event.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Cairns provides an opportunity to redefine what XC actually is. But if the UCI don't embrace that in other rounds in other parts of the world then the effort is moot and the concern of competitors is real. If it's not what they have prepared for then it could be considered unsafe. XC is at a crossroad. Is it actually a category for flat bar cross bikes or is it about fast, technical mountain biking across all terrain types? I'd prefer the latter but the former seems to be the UCI preference as they seek to identify future GC road riders...

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be very interested to see the results at Cairns, I'm guessing not much will change in terms of who is on the box.

I wonder how everyone would feel about the course if they were riding it flat out with 50 blokes around them?