Confessions from the fuckwits

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Jeez - i thought getting the non drive side crank off the spline was one of the annual feats of strength competition.
It does also feature in the Annual Feats of Stupid Competition. I may have ridden with someone in the past who didn't tighten the retaining bolts at all before heading out to ride at Coomie...

stirk

Burner
The thread on the little tensioner are stripped as it got ripped out of the crank as the arm slid off. I suspect it's been holding the arm on for 6 months and let go today.

I suspect my torque wrench is a fuckwit or the person using it was.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I’m a little slow.
I’ll type this slowly then. ;)

Theres a little tab on the bottom of the clip that faces towards the spindle.
On the spindle, theres a tab sized hole that the plastic clip will drop into when you’ve screwed the plastic end cap on far enough.

When you remove the crank arm, use a small screw driver or pick to lift the plastic tab clear of the hole in the spindle and the crank arm will come off easily.
Acts as a locator. Kinda shitty safety pin really, it just flops around when the cranks are loose.

moorey

call me Mia
I’ll type this slowly then. ;)

Theres a little tab on the bottom of the clip that faces towards the spindle.
On the spindle, theres a tab sized hole that the plastic clip will drop into when you’ve screwed the plastic end cap on far enough.

When you remove the crank arm, use a small screw driver or pick to lift the plastic tab clear of the hole in the spindle and the crank arm will come off easily.
Acts as a locator. Kinda shitty safety pin really, it just flops around when the cranks are loose.
View attachment 364404
We’re saying the same thing...it’s just not what you said earlier. :D

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
We’re saying the same thing...it’s just not what you said earlier. :D
If you tighten the end nut so the tab won’t drop in the hole it’s too tight and you’ll ruin the BB. You said it’s a safety catch to stop cranks falling off.
How is that the same thing?

moorey

call me Mia
If you tighten the end nut so the tab won’t drop in the hole it’s too tight and you’ll ruin the BB. You said it’s a safety catch to stop cranks falling off.
How is that the same thing?
You have to lift it to easily get the crank off...
I reject your reality, and replace it with my own.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The receiving hole in the spindle is considerably larger than the pathetic little "safety" pin. You need to massively overtighten the compression cap (and destroy it rather than the bearings, although it still won't be good for them) to go past the hole. If you can't get the tab to drop in properly, more likely the crank hasn't fully seated in the bottom bracket, or you've spaced the BB out too much for the frame width.

moorey

call me Mia
Must have fitted 100 HT2 cranks and never new this. Also never had an issue with over/under tightening or spacing. Dumb luck or are they overthinking it?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
They're probably overthinking it.... First couple of years they did the two-piece cranks they didn't have the "safety" tab. But a few improperly tightened cranks fell off so they put the tab in to make it look like they made it more idiotproof. It's so bloody flimsy it still doesn't really do anything.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
They're probably overthinking it.... First couple of years they did the two-piece cranks they didn't have the "safety" tab. But a few improperly tightened cranks fell off so they put the tab in to make it look like they made it more idiotproof. It's so bloody flimsy it still doesn't really do anything.
Ensures crank arms are 180 degrees apart. There are f@&kwits about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Must have fitted 100 HT2 cranks and never new this. Also never had an issue with over/under tightening or spacing. Dumb luck or are they overthinking it?
Only 100? CMon, you've done more surely. And it's "knew"