Confessions from the fuckwits

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
He gets it.
Nothing is sacred in my shed. I’m more inclined to sneakily swap all my best bits onto their bikes without telling them. Except Felix's new bike....it’s got parts I can only dream of. One day...yoink!
But, but.... If you give him the Deore groupset then he will try harder to keep up with the cool kids on XT.

You are in turn improving his skills with the blue collar parts. Like tough love.

And you get to hoard the XTR for your 26" Banshee and fondle them late in the shed at night when no one is around - just like the rest of us.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Yeah pretty sure that's the one, it's a 2x. The brifter gets sticky internally and it doesn't get the second click properly to move the FD to stop the chain rub.
I think the problem at the moment seems to be that I either have chain rub in the small ring, or chain rub in the big ring. the left brifter seems ok mechanically, but the barrel adjuster seems to have got 'stuck' or sticky or unresponsive somehow.
I priced a pair of 105 5700 brifters $400-500.(Could get 11spd brifters for that or less. ) Fuck covid tax. amazing they can still be found, I guess.
If I hadn't just fitted a new cassette, chain and chainrings I would be pulling the pin and scraping $$ together for 11spd.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I think the problem at the moment seems to be that I either have chain rub in the small ring, or chain rub in the big ring. the left brifter seems ok mechanically, but the barrel adjuster seems to have got 'stuck' or sticky or unresponsive somehow.
I priced a pair of 105 5700 brifters $400-500.(Could get 11spd brifters for that or less. ) Fuck covid tax. amazing they can still be found, I guess.
If I hadn't just fitted a new cassette, chain and chainrings I would be pulling the pin and scraping $$ together for 11spd.
Loosen off all the stops on the FD and spray inside the Brifter with wd40 and give it a few flicks in the trim and see if you can get a wider range in the trim at FD. I remember the cable length was critical on mine.

ForkinGreat

Loosen off all the stops on the FD and spray inside the Brifter with wd40 and give it a few flicks in the trim and see if you can get a wider range in the trim at FD. I remember the cable length was critical on mine.
I sprayed a bit of evil teflon stuff in the brifter, and replaced the shift cable. Bit of cage rub in big ring and 11T cog. big cog and inner chainring seems fine. test ride will prove or disprove. Managed to nip myself on the hand with cable cutters, so there's that :D. Enough fuckery for one day.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
What crank is it running on? Later- generation cranks have wider chainring spacing to reduce shift pin pickup in small ring cross-chaining. The leverage of the 6600, related and earlier series front derailleurs doesn't like the wider spacing.

ForkinGreat

What crank is it running on? Later- generation cranks have wider chainring spacing to reduce shift pin pickup in small ring cross-chaining. The leverage of the 6600, related and earlier series front derailleurs doesn't like the wider spacing.
Shimano 6650(?) compact 50T/34T . inner and outer rings replaced with 105 rings.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
OK, so on anything 6600 & contemporary series, you're on the old tighter ring spacing, optimised for a relatively small (10-14t) difference between rings.

The bigger radial ring difference with compacts makes for really messy chain run on the small (high) end of the cassette when on the small ring, 'cos the chain hooks the pickup pins.

If you've gone for 5700-series 105 rings, which have the wider spacing, the short-pull 6600 will be quite argumrntatve

ForkinGreat

OK, so on anything 6600 & contemporary series, you're on the old tighter ring spacing, optimised for a relatively small (10-14t) difference between rings.

The bigger radial ring difference with compacts makes for really messy chain run on the small (high) end of the cassette when on the small ring, 'cos the chain hooks the pickup pins.

If you've gone for 5700-series 105 rings, which have the wider spacing, the short-pull 6600 will be quite argumrntatve
What if I fitted a 6700 or 5700 front derailleur? would that help?

goobags

Likes Dirt
Rebuilding my Bikeyoke Revive last night after a couple of wines, let the air out, started to undo the nut that holds the air and oil in, I was wondering what would happen if I didn’t let all the air out and POP piston and rod straight into the ceiling, oil everywhere. Piston came down landed on my bike then fell on the concrete floor. Some lengthy cursing, inspected everything and no damage just my pride.

Reassembled and everything is working fine, how I didn’t damage something or hurt myself is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I went to the supermarket this morning before coffee and realised I forgot my mask half way, drove home and just as I was getting to the door thought to myself "ah shit I had my wallet all along, it's in my shirt pocket" get back in the car and I'm half way to shops again before I slap my forehead.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
My road bike is factory fitted with a compact 50-34 and just checked the cranks and they're 6650, no problems with the shifting.

Minlak

custom titis
My road bike is factory fitted with a compact 50-34 and just checked the cranks and they're 6650, no problems with the shifting.
But what is the front derailleur? The issue isn’t the cranks or the derailleur it’s the combination of those two together?

Flow-Rider

Burner
But what is the front derailleur? The issue isn’t the cranks or the derailleur it’s the combination of those two together?
I'd imagine it will be the same as the cranks, it's an Ultegra group set, nothing has been replaced from new bar the chain. Run the original chain rings it should work fine unless the brifter is broken or the FD isn't set up right.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I went to the supermarket this morning before coffee and realised I forgot my mask half way, drove home and just as I was getting to the door thought to myself "ah shit I had my wallet all along, it's in my shirt pocket" get back in the car and I'm half way to shops again before I slap my forehead.
Oh that is good. I've worked a smidge over 60 hours this week, including 2 massive nights in the bar. The mental fatigue gets a bit real and the storeroom door became a doorway to another dimension. One where you forget what you rushed out there to get.

Rebuilding my Bikeyoke Revive last night after a couple of wines, let the air out, started to undo the nut that holds the air and oil in, I was wondering what would happen if I didn’t let all the air out and POP piston and rod straight into the ceiling, oil everywhere. Piston came down landed on my bike then fell on the concrete floor. Some lengthy cursing, inspected everything and no damage just my pride.

Reassembled and everything is working fine, how I didn’t damage something or hurt myself is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you damage the ceiling?