Confessions from the fuckwits

Flow-Rider

Burner
Surely any rim with that wouldn't be advertised as 'tubeless ready' though right?
There was another leak at 180° from the valve stem that I didn't get in the photo.
The valve base looked very well seated in the hole, and the rim tape was perfectly cut to the edges of the hole. That looked ok to me.
I've taken @Mattyp's suggestion and put the tube back in (on top of another layer of rim tape) under the tyre and inflated to 40psi. I'll leave that for about 24hrs then give it another run tomorrow with the soapy water. If that fails, might have to buy some wider rim tape and better valves.

Thanks again all.
If the soap suds get under the tape you'll need to clean it and re-tape it again, you won't get adhesion from the tape with the soap being there. You can normally tell if the stem leaks by giving it some movement with your hand and if gets better or worse, it's a good indication that it's the stem.

Minlak

custom titis
You say "Rim Tape" - but what tape - Some of the so called tubeless tapes are a PITA to make work hence why a lot of us use alternatives

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
Got handed a $20 roll of rim tape with a Trek logo by my LBS. What are these alternatives you speak of?
Bear outdoor tape is very popular and cheaper - I use Gorilla Tape all the time now (not that I do much of it now)

Some good info in this thread
'

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Bear outdoor tape is very popular and cheaper - I use Gorilla Tape all the time now (not that I do much of it now)

Some good info in this thread
'
The bear outdoor tape everyone used to use is no longer available as I understand it?

They sell some papery masking-tape type ‘outdoor’ tape now instead IIRC, not the good plastic stuff they used to have.

Minlak

custom titis
The bear outdoor tape everyone used to use is no longer available as I understand it?

They sell some papery masking-tape type ‘outdoor’ tape now instead IIRC, not the good plastic stuff they used to have.
I thought it was just Bunnings that changed - i thought this was the right stuff from Total tools - but I use Gorilla tape anyway

beeb

I thought it was just Bunnings that changed - i thought this was the right stuff from Total tools - but I use Gorilla tape anyway

View attachment 390414
Dunno, the new stuff at Bunnings had similar packaging but was a different material. I still have 3 or 4 rolls of the good stuff spare anyway, so I’m good for a bit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dunno, the new stuff at Bunnings had similar packaging but was a different material. I still have 3 or 4 rolls of the good stuff spare anyway, so I’m good for a bit.
You're only ever one naughty naughty hobo say from using it all to teach them a lesson in manners...I really would have thought supplies for this stuff would have been covered by the franchising fees?

beeb

You're only ever one naughty naughty hobo say from using it all to teach them a lesson in manners...I really would have thought supplies for this stuff would have been covered by the franchising fees?
There's a specific tape for that.

...err, allegedly.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here

3M #2097 Outdoor masking tape is what I use, and as far as I'm aware still available from Bunnings.

Reactions: PJO

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Have used this one from Bunnings, similar to the old bear tape.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I’m still using gaffa tape torn to the correct width for the rim bed, adjusting the number of layers for tire fit.