Convict (Dirt Works) 100 2012

novomongoose

Likes Bikes
crash in the 50km event???

Was second rider back from a big off at about the 34km mark, on the big sketchy downhill before the road section. A woman, Liz Wilkinson, big OTB. She was unconscious for about 15 mins and got taken out by ambulance. Pretty major damage to left side of face.

Anyone know how she got on?

Rob(ert)

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
It will be interesting to see if they make changes to the canoe bridge next year. The lack of alternate route for people not wanting to ride (due to the high water level), the delays getting everyone across and the resulting accidents must bring this into question.

It has become an iconic part of the event so no doubt there would be resistance to change. Plus I guess this is what people are signing up to when they enter.

Also speaking from experience as someone that has fallen in the drink one year only to obsess about the crossing and subsequently succeed this year I can certainly testify to this being a major highlight of mine.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Cleeshoy - My cycle comp reckoned around 1800m of climbing. How accurate it is I dunno.

Some of the results are super tight, 16th and 19th both decided by the time taken to cross the start mat.

Also looked at some of the Strava segments and it seems like the 100km field were quicker to the first climb than the elites, which goes to show how hard some of the guys push it at the start.

If I was the event organiser I would be considering my options for the kayak bridge. I'm 100% fine with being pointed to a mtb track and taking my own responsibility for getting through safely. If I'm not good enough to ride it then I can always get off and walk. But to actually create a situation where the structure I've provided has the potential to put riders and bikes in a river and there is no real 'B line' just doesn't sit well. I wouldn't be too keen to be testing the lawyers out in a worst case scenario. Plus on top there is also the bottleneck issue.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Previous years the wade across the river has only been waist deep, guess they didn't count on the super high tide at the wrong time. Like all good event organiser I'm sure they'll learn from this one.

Jake.

Squid
Just got home from this, my first ever MTB race. What a hoot! And I have to say it was really well organised, hats off to all involved and the RFS also did a great job. Will be back for sure.

I'm also pleased to read so many here saying it was a technical course, because I certainly found it so. I did the 100km (5h19m) and after a while was just sick of bouncing over bloody rocks! :p
Thankfully I never saw anyone come off or injured but there seemed to be quite a few flatties striking people along the rocky parts of the trail. I also avoided any flats.

I rode the kayak bridge, and found it pretty easy. Trailed a bit of rear brake, get the power on, and changed up about 3 gears as I rode across as I was speeding up all the time. It's a bit of a gimmick I suppose, and I did have to wait a few minutes there for a clear run.

monkeynuts

Likes Bikes
Good to hear all those injured will be ok.

Ill pass the messages of thanks to the RFS crew, it's definitely appreciated and a lot of unseen work goes into the event.

I finished with a record 8.09 finish time!!! At least one hour off that next year!!!

Rida

Likes Bikes
If I was the event organiser I would be considering my options for the kayak bridge. I'm 100% fine with being pointed to a mtb track and taking my own responsibility for getting through safely. If I'm not good enough to ride it then I can always get off and walk. But to actually create a situation where the structure I've provided has the potential to put riders and bikes in a river and there is no real 'B line' just doesn't sit well. I wouldn't be too keen to be testing the lawyers out in a worst case scenario. Plus on top there is also the bottleneck issue.
Well said!

guess they didn't count on the super high tide at the wrong time.
Accurate tide prediction tables are available at least a year in advance.

Last year was quite a lot more than waist high, lol
Agree. Last year, it was too deep for some of us to stand at the mid point of the crossing (speaking on behalf of short arses that is).

I was injured this year and couldn't ride. I own property at St Albans and hosted a few riders on FRiday night. On Saturday, the sadist in me, sat and watched the bridge crossing for two hours.
I have just written a letter to the organsiers suggesting a B line be offered next year. The B line would be a walking option, incurring a 15 minute penalty and a gold coin donation to the local fire service.
Apart from any legal impliactions, which you correctly point to, Saturday's situation created some unnecessary aggro and a B line would solve the problem whilst still giving competent people encouragement and incentive to ride the river.
I won't drop any names, but I did notice a top 20 rider go across clipped in on one pedal and using his foot to provide balance on the bridge. If a rider of that standard finds it challenging, then the mid field guys will really struggle.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
I won't drop any names, but I did notice a top 20 rider go across clipped in on one pedal and using his foot to provide balance on the bridge. If a rider of that standard finds it challenging, then the mid field guys will really struggle.
Possibly 146. In which case there is full appreciation of the limited skills. Improvement on last years very wet effort though.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Photos

So - the photos are up, and I've got to say (I dont normally whinge about photos) that my selection are woeful.
4 shots in total. 3 of exactly the same spot.

Thank god for Facebook and non-professional photographers 'tagging' because the official shots are pretty weak. My 'pack' from last year contained 10+ shots.
Maybe I got a bum deal this time around....

JD26

Likes Dirt
So - the photos are up, and I've got to say (I dont normally whinge about photos) that my selection are woeful.
4 shots in total. 3 of exactly the same spot.

Thank god for Facebook and non-professional photographers 'tagging' because the official shots are pretty weak. My 'pack' from last year contained 10+ shots.
Maybe I got a bum deal this time around....
No, mine are identical to yours. Identical....

Jake.

Squid
16 pics for me, and of that 4 of them are quite good. But it's still the same fat old bugger in the photos! :p

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was dissapointed before seeing the pics, there didn't seem to be any snappers out on the good bits of the course (air shots). Also can't seem to see any general pics, ie start, finish, the mob etc, only those under my (or others) number/name ID. Thought Aurora did a much better job last year.

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
For what it's worth, both times I've ridden this event in the past I've shuffled (walking would be pushing it, it was a true shuffle) across that bridge while simultaneously shitting my pants, I hate the bloody thing. Give me Hammerhead at Stromlo over the bridge any day.