COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm unsure if the data matching between government agencies is sophisticated enough to identify business's getting jobkeeper and staff receiving benefits
i don't think they'd have any trouble seeing who you claimed for the benefit vs who you are paying tax and super for. surely that's about the first case you'd set up in data matching. you could try claiming you pay tax on a fake employees behalf in order to claim the net i guess but that will show up as soon as they do a tax return.

way to cause mild panic today - went to chemist wh for flu jab, they make you wait 5 minutes after to see if you get a reaction. my kid passed out on the floor. he's fine now, just a bit worked up over a needle and seems riding over there makes the blood pressure issue a bit worse

Ackland

chats d'élevage
MTBA are offering 6 month payment options in light of COVID19. How about reducing the fees for 6 months seeing all events are cancelled and 99% of the riding venues closed?
I'll think you'll find that MTBA's overheads haven't decreased.

moorey

call me Mia
You know that the MTBA insurance also covers you for personal injury while riding recreationally too (including modest cover for lost income)
Yes....and you know you pay a lot more for race membership than recreational membership?

teK--

Eats Squid
No ones have....but a huge chunk is race insurance fee....who’s racing?
They still have to pay their premiums though? Insurance cost is set to explode this year for everyone in all industries. I agree though there should be some cost savings in other areas, maybe not as much as we would think though.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
No ones have....but a huge chunk is race insurance fee....who’s racing?
Nice one ! Didn't think about MTBA. Just dropped my extras cover from platinum back to silver as we can't go to the Dentist unless in an emergency.

MTBA gets ~$400 a year for 3 memberships from me, would be right thing to do to credit members with the race discount.
I'll probably be dropping mine next time anyway, did 1 race and the fat tyre festival last year... $30 worth of on-the-day fees.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Got into an argument with a complete Potato on Facebook today and who decided to comment with multiple FACTS, yes he put it in capitals that Tasmania doesn't have community transmission and if we all stay home this Easter weekend then there won't be anymore Coronavirus in this state.

When I pointed out the lack of testing (for anyone with symptoms but not arrived from overseas or contact with a confirmed case you will not be tested) most likely means that "confirmed cases" are far lower than the real numbers of infected carriers and that for many the virus does not cause syptoms severe enough to require medical assistance or can even present as asymptomatic (sp?)

His response was along the lines of the FACTS are that there is not 10x the amount of infection than tested and that essentially that everyone with the virus has been tested and quarantine'd and we're all free and clear becaust the government said so on the news.

I just fail/ed to get my head around the conspiracy theory (reverse) that the government is telling the absolute truth and that the infection rate is so low. My concern for Tassie now is that we are so far behind the other states in terms of numbers that, because we are only now just experiencing community transmission and doubling of cases that we are weeks behind everywhere else. This means that although we are enforcing the same rules we won't be able to relax them as soon as everyone else will.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
went for a large shop today rather than my usual regular small ones. note to self - you need a bit trolley not a small one now.

Coles had a sign up saying they are open every day this long weekend. This should help crowding as easter saturday is usually a disaster. Amazed that the fish markets are staying open though, i cannot see distancing working in that place and they get big crowds this time of year.

slowmick

38-39"
@nathanm - send the potato to my house and i'll introduce him to my neighbour - he may not come back. My neighbour is equal parts terrified and furious. He lost a 55 year old healthy friend this week to the virus. He can't go to see his friend's wife as she is in lock down by herself as she has been exposed. Her kids can't go either. He is a chef and the young kids he works with think the virus is a joke. He is furiously cleaning everything in site. They aren't just numbers on those graphs, they are people.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
No state will be relaxing restrictions anytime soon @nathanm. As long as boneheads keep coming home from overseas, our headline stats are going to be skewed, making models and predictions inaccurate. Thankfully they all get a 2-week all expenses paid trip to a hotel room when they arrive, so they don’t spread their poxy flu in the wild, leaving community transmission the remaining concern as the source of a “second wave” - so until the advice to govt is there is no community transmission, you’d have to think restrictions will still be in place. And staying at home for 4 days won’t magically cure the state of Tasmania either.

That said, we should take some comfort in our testing rates per capita being some of the highest of any country, with less than 2% of tests being positive as the national average. Tassie is the highest though at 3% with the lowest test rate nationally of about 615 tests per 100,000 people. Guessing that they’ve been told to start testing more to combat this upward trend.

As 70% of Australia’s cases are returning travellers, many of which probably did the right thing and self-isolated (or were forced into quarantine), it leaves a fairly manageable number of source-unknown cases to contact trace extensively for each individual which will help contain community transmission. Also, people are recovering too; we only have about 3240 of the 6100+ cases that are actually still sick. I see no reason to doubt what our government is telling us about rates of infection - why would they want to bullshit us? We’re not China.

The government will be wanting to reboot the economy as soon as the health advice lets it, with relaxations of measures to get people back to work, but which can be reversed if community transmission starts to appear again. Logic would suggest that if no new cases have appeared in a state for maybe 3-4 weeks, it might be the trigger to start lifting restrictions on businesses.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Amazed that the fish markets are staying open though, i cannot see distancing working in that place and they get big crowds this time of year.
We made a decision a couple of weeks back, not to buy food that was in a counter display, being talked over (spat on), collecting all droplets that come from mouths of customers and employees.

That would include fish markets I suppose. Add to butchers, deli counter, bakeries and any take away food places where food is on display, like sushi or subways sandwich fillings style places.