COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
This is pretty poor form:
Dr van Diemen said about 30 per cent of the more than 18,000 returned travellers who had gone through hotel quarantine in Victoria declined to be tested.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SA expecting ~25 cases next week, coming from several repatriation flights landing over the weekend. Going on the finding from other states that 5-10% of overseas arrivals having Coronavirus :mad:

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...triation-flights-arrive-in-adelaide-c-1127552

They should be quarantined for 2 weeks and tested in the country of departure.
Welcome to Nsw and Vic’s problems, those states have been quarantining infected return SA travellers since it all began.. It’s about time the fed spread the love and sent return travellers to all oz airports..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Welcome to Nsw and Vic’s problems, those states have been quarantining infected return SA travellers since it all began.. It’s about time the fed spread the love and sent return travellers to all oz airports..
It's just the way things will be for a while, I do feel for those being exposed to the virus ridden 10%, taxis, fellow travellers, airport staff, baggage handlers, cabin crew and cleaners ect... its a shit situation.

Vic and NSW problems are not the incoming passengers, there were only 5 of Vic's 30 cases yesterday that were incomers in isolation hotels, the rest were community transmitted in some way, though a number still under investigation, whatever that means.

I got a friend who flew off to Madagascar out of Sydney on the 12 March, it took them 3 days to get there with about 4 different flights... still stuck at the resort on Madagascar 3.5 months later. F%#k knows how they will link up 4 flights to get them back here safely.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's just the way things will be for a while, I do feel for those being exposed to the virus ridden 10%, taxis, fellow travellers, airport staff, baggage handlers, cabin crew and cleaners ect... its a shit situation.

Vic and NSW problems are not the incoming passengers, there were only 5 of Vic's 30 cases yesterday that were incomers in isolation hotels, the rest were community transmitted in some way, though a number still under investigation, whatever that means.

I got a friend who flew off to Madagascar out of Sydney on the 12 March, it took them 3 days to get there with about 4 different flights... still stuck at the resort on Madagascar 3.5 months later. F%#k knows how they will link up 4 flights to get them back here safely.
The big clusters that have caused the issues in vic were security guards and staff getting infected from return travellers and spreading it to family/friends then the community. The hotel quarantine isn’t perfect and the same thing happened in WA with a guard..
As shown in the rest of the world medical staff with full PPE and training still catch it so you can hardly expect untrained hotel workers not to..
Love to see how the universities go bringing in international students.. The Dollar and self interest always comes first when it comes to policy..

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
[
This is exactly why the suggestion of testing people in the departure country would not work.
The current process could only be bettered if you turned the airport itself into a quarantine facility. :D

ozzybmx

This is exactly why the suggestion of testing people in the departure country would not work.
The current process could only be bettered if you turned the airport itself into a quarantine facility. :D
True. I have no idea on how they will get back. 2 internal African flights, a flight to some other country and then from there back to Sydney.
Madagascar has nearly 2000 corona cases, nevermind the 2 airports they have to fly into on the mainland, then the country accepting the African flight.
Probably a better chance hitching a ride on a yacht across the Indian Ocean to WA.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Why did they not postpone their holiday?
Just looked, it was the 7th March they left Australia. The Aus Gran Prix got cancelled on the 12th, flights were still all going... we all probably didn't know of the world upset that was to unfold over the next few weeks. Just bad luck with timing, both medical professionals too.