COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
No reported cases of transmission in vic hairdressers so why not support these businesses before they shut? I’m getting a haircut tomorrow as mate owns the barber shop and he has solid covid safe policies in place, cleaning, masks etc. He is quite paranoid about it all.. His postcode has fk all cases.. not much more active than SA.. I’m sure not many are going without a cut in SA.. Instead of jumping to conclusions, people do get it and are weighing up the risks.. This virus ain’t going away in vic, going to have to live with it..
I haven't had a haircut since late last century.

So on a sample size of one, I say nobody in SA gets haircuts.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don’t think it’s as simple as people don’t get it - there was some statistics that came out that some super high percentage of households are not even able to cover an unexpected bill of just $500 - a lot of people simply won’t get paid if they don’t work
Focus seems to be on the Karen’s at bunnings or the bloke getting kfc 200km from home rather than where that actual transmission is. Which appears to be driven by the circumstances the people are in..

Freediver

I can go full Karen
the anticipation is killing me...spill the beans
I don't know much but G4S released a youth that was positive into an already overcrowded house and that person then went and hung out with his mates at the deer park shopping centre. The whole large household is now positive and others.

danncam

Likes Dirt
If you are an at risk teenager, with plenty of past interactions with authority figures, you might not get tested when you need to because who wants the ADF or cops coming round to your house. (a precis of a discussion I had with a youth worker friend).

My 19 year old gay daughter is scared of cops and PSOs just from either seeing PSOs be way too rough with an indigenous kid once and a black kid another time, or the times the cops just drove off when she wanted help late at night in the CBD after a drunk scroat slapped her ass in front of the cops.

Most cops, including my neighbour and an old close friend are the best. Wonky teenage brains mistrust authority figures at the best of times (dunning kruger effect perhaps) so a few poor interactions must multiply that by a factor or more. What a shit time to be a teenager

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
If you are an at risk teenager, with plenty of past interactions with authority figures, you might not get tested when you need to because who wants the ADF or cops coming round to your house. (a precis of a discussion I had with a youth worker friend).

My 19 year old gay daughter is scared of cops and PSOs just from either seeing PSOs be way too rough with an indigenous kid once and a black kid another time, or the times the cops just drove off when she wanted help late at night in the CBD after a drunk scroat slapped her ass in front of the cops.

Most cops, including my neighbour and an old close friend are the best. Wonky teenage brains mistrust authority figures at the best of times (dunning kruger effect perhaps) so a few poor interactions must multiply that by a factor or more. What a shit time to be a teenager
To be fair to your daughter, Vic Police have had a poor reputation for a very very long time.

I remember that NSW bought in a Police commissioner from the UK to clean up the police and "avoid what had happened to Victoria."

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
To be fair to your daughter, Vic Police have had a poor reputation for a very very long time.

I remember that NSW bought in a Police commissioner from the UK to clean up the police and "avoid what had happened to Victoria."

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Jebus! NSW pot calling the kettle black? I’m sure you’re taking the piss, right?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty

Between Victoria's shoot-first-question-later approach, QPS's historic corruption, NSWPF's propensity for strip searching minors and the NT's mass incarceration of Indigenous Australians I'd say our police forces generally have some pretty serious systemic and cultural problems.

@danncam's point is a really good one and underscores the risks associated with an enforcement-first strategy. There are reports now coming out of the Flemington towers saying that since their "hard lockdown" ended and the police guard went away, the towers have just returned to how they were - still not cleaned well or regularly enough, still insufficient or no provision of sanitiser or masks to residents, still zero communication from DHHS. Only difference is now residents are terrified of their own homes because the government spent two weeks telling everyone about how they are "vertical cruise ships" to justify the lockdown but have done little to mitigate that fact.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Why is it up to the government to supply personal hygiene products?
If we are going to underfund and undersupply public housing, and as a result subject residents to overcrowded conditions and ageing, poorly maintained infrastructure that means they are at a heightened risk of transmission (2 lifts for 300 apartments, communal facilities etc), and then stand up and crow about how we have to lock them down under police guard because of it, well... The risks don't just go away because you did a 2-week lockdown. Masks and sanitiser is the least we can do to mitigate the ongoing risks given the conditions haven't changed.

Anyway, I raised that more to agree with danncam in saying that there are really complex issues around enforcement and monitoring under these conditions and the pandemic is going to keep working itself into the cracks of our society where we've just slapped some plaster on top in the past.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Remember there is a two to three week lag in the disease becoming manifest plus the failure of some to isolate so a few weeks of this to come I think.
Also just spoke to a colleague this morning (in Melb) who has been isolating after having a COVID test due to potential exposure to a known case. 6 days later and she still doesn't have a test result. So who even knows when the 700+ cases to be reported were actually contracted/tested...

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also just spoke to a colleague this morning (in Melb) who has been isolating after having a COVID test due to potential exposure to a known case. 6 days later and she still doesn't have a test result. So who even knows when the 700+ cases to be reported were actually contracted/tested...
Apparently if your positive the return the test quicker like 24-48 hrs. Neg results get the lowest priority. My old man had a test in regional vic and it took ~7 days for negitive result..

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apparently if your positive the return the test quicker like 24-48 hrs. Neg results get the lowest priority. My old man had a test in regional vic and it took ~7 days for negitive result..
what volume is vic doing compared to NSW? kid went for another test after getting sniffles and for the second time results came negative in less than 24 hours. tried looking up on health.gov.au , says vic has been unable to provide numbers since August 2, guess they are busy doing the work