COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

moorey

call me Mia
The franchise went down hill fast than an rb thread gets derailed. There is more to be milked from it though. Google News tells me there will be another prequel because the last heap of shit was so popular there is money to be made. I mean a story to tell. Give me steel dawn any day!

If you have laws/constitutions/courts/tribunals/policies and whatever in place to preserve civil rights, and those rights are overlooked to create an authoritarian dystopia...it's not really any different to a lawless militia roving gangs anarchy. As long as the predictions of brave new world are more accurate than 1984 I'll find something to be happy about.
TL DR

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
20km radius rumours for Melbourne... Pleased to have more rope but at the same time there's like 3.5million people or something within my 20km radius - doesn't seem like it'd make a whole lot of sense.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
20km radius rumours for Melbourne... Pleased to have more rope but at the same time there's like 3.5million people of something within my 20km radius - doesn't seem like it'd make a whole lot of sense.
I do fear the worst from this. I know there wil be a mutiny if things don’t ease, but with cases exploding around the world, and a regional outbreak when ONE person did the wrong thing...
I’d rather the government properly support ALL the businesses that are doomed from the lockdown and keep things locked down a bit longer. My mate is in an industry that has been banned from operating for months, no government support available to him and family, and no end in sight. Most of his colleagues have already gone under. He’s about to.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
20km radius rumours for Melbourne... Pleased to have more rope but at the same time there's like 3.5million people or something within my 20km radius - doesn't seem like it'd make a whole lot of sense.
I'm in the same boat.
Still seems weird that I could conceivably be allowed out into my 20km 'bubble' and interact with 1000s almost unchecked, but I can't drive to Youies to ride on my lonesome

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I do fear the worst from this. I know there wil be a mutiny if things don’t ease, but with cases exploding around the world, and a regional outbreak when ONE person did the wrong thing...
I’d rather the government properly support ALL the businesses that are doomed from the lockdown and keep things locked down a bit longer. My mate is in an industry that has been banned from operating for months, no government support available to him and family, and no end in sight. Most of his colleagues have already gone under. He’s about to.
Agreed to an extent on the Shepparton outbreak but I also think it shows us that without an absolute 100% lockdown with no exceptions and no "permitted workers" etc - which is clearly never going to happen - then there will always be incidence of spot fires and outbreaks as people move around subject to exemptions/conditions, and it will continue to be the response to those which is most important going forward. Dan stood up and said that the 400 people in isolation in Shepparton was an example of why we can't ease restrictions yet, but actually that says to me that maybe they've finally got their outbreak response and contact tracing to a place where it is up to the task at hand.

At the same time, I also know that my perspective has shifted significantly. I've been largely supportive of Dan and the actions they've taken, but it's weighing heavily and the fact that the "road map" which was always incredibly conservative has proven to be less accurate even than Dad's internal compass on a driving holiday is a lot to bear.

We've now been unable to move more than 5km from home for 100 days, unable to visit friends or family, etc. My productivity and motivation for work has hit rock bottom the past few weeks and the thing I need most mentally - to be able to go to the forest and ride my MTB - looks like it will still be out of reach. I'm in a much better position than so many others through this - still have a job, have a comfortable home environment, don't live alone etc - but fuck me I actually feel physically pained by the current situation and the constantly shifting goal posts.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One could argue that black was white.

Speaking of Max, that meme going around about it being set in 2020. I don’t recall that, and I don’t buy it. Happy to be proven otherwise. Remove the cars and it was utter shit anyway.
It's been a while since I've watched MM, but pretty sure it's setting was "a few years from now" and that was in 1979, so we're well past its timeline.
From memory they set it in the future becuase it was much cheaper to film in the middle of nowhere rather than on modern streets...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's been a while since I've watched MM, but pretty sure it's setting was "a few years from now" and that was in 1979, so we're well past its timeline.
From memory they set it in the future becuase it was much cheaper to film in the middle of nowhere rather than on modern streets...
I looked it up. You are correct - not 2020.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Prequel would have to set in the 70s... Surely?
It shouldn't really matter, unless the prequel is designed to show what happened in the lead up to the world turning into a dystopian shitshow, and who really wants to see that in a Mad Max movie?
The idea of the 'future' setting seemed to be so that it was ageless; it doesn't matter what tech and resources there were before the event, they are all gone now and what's left are feral kids, fast cars and weirdos everywhere.

And a quick google search seems to indicate that the prequel will be focused on Furiosa, so it shouldn't be set too much before the original, if at all

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah spin off rather than prequel. It follows on from the abomination that was fury road. Fuck me that was a shit movie.

Sweet. One of those internet memes that fit the narrative that people share without checking.
However 2020 does feel like the great humungous is using me as a love slave and sand is his lubricant of choice.

Blade runner was set in 2019 and there was a great blackout before the follow up in 2049...so I we must be on the verge now.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I
There was more than one person doing the wrong thing with that buchers club cluster.. Some staff were working at mutiple stores across Melbourne when they knew there was a postive staff case.. Also allegedly they kept trading when they should have been shut which lead to customers getting infected..
A young bloke at my local butcher was on with one of the butchers club staff, who told him all about it..