COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I'd allow police brutality in this instance - I'll never understand why someone would want to spend their time, wasting everyone else's in this manner
Why? The cops seemed to be trying to put one over on the guy on a bike. was he stopped for a long time? we don't see that, so that's just speculation. They were probably bitchy about him filming. The cop disputing that he was exercising was a stretch. the footage was obviously showing him in motion, until the cop stopped him. he seemed reasonably civil, provided his details, asked for theirs, as is anyone's right. the cop with the tablet could have looked at kmfromhome.com.au to see if he was within 5km from home. It does seem like bullshit that they had trouble confirming his identity, to me. The "move on" direction was also bullshit, IMO. Maybe the guy was being a twat, but didn't seem to be doing anything illegal.

The cops had PLENTY of time to figure out his bona fides.

"Am I free to go?" is a worthwhile phrase to remember for anyone stopped by the cops, and is obviously not engaged in a felony.
If the cops say no, then question them more. People DO have the right to ask questions of cops, just do it in a civil manner.

Note that a recent vic county court decision came down that the police were not compelled to release body camera footage on request by a person.
Soooo, the cops could have beaten the shit out of the cyclist, and destroyed his gopro, and the cops could have told the guy's lawyers to get fucked, no vision blah blah confidential bullshit bullshit....

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why? The cops seemed to be trying to put one over on the guy on a bike. was he stopped for a long time? we don't see that, so that's just speculation. They were probably bitchy about him filming. The cop disputing that he was exercising was a stretch. the footage was obviously showing him in motion, until the cop stopped him. he seemed reasonably civil, provided his details, asked for theirs, as is anyone's right. the cop with the tablet could have looked at kmfromhome.com.au to see if he was within 5km from home. It does seem like bullshit that they had trouble confirming his identity, to me. The "move on" direction was also bullshit, IMO. Maybe the guy was being a twat, but didn't seem to be doing anything illegal.

"Am I free to go?" is a worthwhile phrase to remember for anyone stopped by the cops, and is obviously not engaged in a felony.
If the cops say no, then question them more. People DO have the right to ask questions of cops, just do it in a civil manner.

Note that a recent vic county court decision came down that the police were not compelled to release body camera footage on request by a person.
Soooo, the cops could have beaten the shit out of the cyclist, and destroyed his gopro, and the cops could have told the guy's lawyers to get fucked, no vision blah blah confidential bullshit bullshit....

My concerns with PSOs have been noted previously so I'm not going there; but the County Court ruling only applies to Civil cases. A complaint against the cops beating the shit out of someone would be a Criminal case and the lawyer would almost certainly be able to obtain the footage.

ForkinGreat

My concerns with PSOs have been noted previously so I'm not going there; but the County Court ruling only applies to Civil cases. A complaint against the cops beating the shit out of someone would be a Criminal case and the lawyer would almost certainly be able to obtain the footage.
fair point. still a dangerous precedent. it would be a complete lack of surprise if the police lawyers tried to use that civil precedent in a case of police violence.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt

If the guy was minding his own business, I'm sure they would have too. You don't wear a GoPro for a casual ride around the suburbs.
He may well have been within his rights to do everything he did, but he was purely trying to get a reaction.

ForkinGreat

If the guy was minding his own business, I'm sure they would have too. You don't wear a GoPro for a casual ride around the suburbs.
He may well have been within his rights to do everything he did, but he was purely trying to get a reaction.
More like an annoying fly buzzing around, than actually impeding the conduct of police business. not an instance to call for police brutality.
Maybe he is a known fuckwit, but in any case, the cops could just given him the 'move on' direction much sooner, blah blah police operation blah blah, and that could have been it.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More like an annoying fly buzzing around, than actually impeding the conduct of police business. not an instance to call for police brutality.
Maybe he is a known fuckwit, but in any case, the cops could just given him the 'move on' direction much sooner, blah blah police operation blah blah, and that could have been it.
I don't actually want them to brutalise him, just making the point that people can be dicks - often very unnecessarily

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I'm guessing hanging around what looks like a planned protest site is not the best place to be to avoid having your time wasted by the police.
Guy was being a wanker, I couldn't care less if they were deliberately wasting his time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Or he is just trying to cut sick wheelie laps of the car park and film his epic wheelies to break up the oppressive boredom of being locked down. Of that's how he wants to spend his hour or is 2 now, then so be it. Plenty of lame people film everything they do. And plenty of times the police think they can come on the heavy hands because they are the police. Same for other faux authority figures like security guards (fuck them too) or things like transit officers (at least they say please and thank you in NSW these days).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
In my experience the Ven diagram of people who say they hate the cops and authority, completely overlaps with the people who say society is going down the shitter and becoming lawless.
One could argue that the drift toward authoritarian overreach is an act of lawlessness.

The mad max prophecy will come true soon enough.

moorey

call me Mia
One could argue that the drift toward authoritarian overreach is an act of lawlessness.

The mad max prophecy will come true soon enough.
One could argue that black was white.

Speaking of Max, that meme going around about it being set in 2020. I don’t recall that, and I don’t buy it. Happy to be proven otherwise. Remove the cars and it was utter shit anyway.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
One could argue that black was white.

Speaking of Max, that meme going around about it being set in 2020. I don’t recall that, and I don’t buy it. Happy to be proven otherwise. Remove the cars and it was utter shit anyway.
The franchise went down hill fast than an rb thread gets derailed. There is more to be milked from it though. Google News tells me there will be another prequel because the last heap of shit was so popular there is money to be made. I mean a story to tell. Give me steel dawn any day!

If you have laws/constitutions/courts/tribunals/policies and whatever in place to preserve civil rights, and those rights are overlooked to create an authoritarian dystopia...it's not really any different to a lawless militia roving gangs anarchy. As long as the predictions of brave new world are more accurate than 1984 I'll find something to be happy about.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think where and how he was riding was to elicit a reaction. Nothing more and nothing less. Years ago I was on a shutdown in central Q and working 12s. Took my (road :eek:) bike up and would ride every second night between the town I was staying in and the next which was about 30km away to get out and get some fresh air. First night was stopped three times by the same cops on patrol. Second trip same cops and two stops. Third trip was left alone. Fifth or sixth was stopped again by the same cops and then by the cops from the next town. How they thought I was trafficking drugs or illegal aliens is beyond me. Mid summer so the ride was done in shorts and t shirt with just a water bottle on the bike. First weekend I rode to yet a third town and was stopped twice. Just accepted that they were either bored or there was a serious gang out there who used roadies to do their business!

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just went to that dudes youtube channel and he has 17k subscribers and the amount of crap and hate they are spewing against female cops is disgusting. I have zero sympathy as its pretty obvious he was only doing it for his channel.