COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Slightly OT and a bit on the esoteric side but in my wanderings around Darwin -where nary a mask is to be seen and people are generally living La Vida Loca (seriously. I’ve heard that 20+ year old song booming out from bars twice now. Darwin pubs are mostly cheesy) sorry, where was I?

oh yeah, on my wanderings I’ve decided to stop in past this old watering hole:

If any of you recall George A Romero’s apocalyptic zombie film ‘Land Of The Dead’, ‘Fiddler’s Green’ is the name of the Skyscraper that’s essentially a safe zone from the undead hordes and where the rich live the high life and the rest are forced to scavenge around the base fearing for the inevitable collapse of the security perimeter and the end of the party!

It’s a pretty damn appropriate name all things considered!

Last edited:

PJO

in me vL comy
You can still catch it and pass it around despite your vaccine. Like masks and distancing, the restrictions is as much or more about others as it is about yourself.

There is a benefit to getting the Vax - that you're better protected from severe symptoms and that we're all closer to getting let out. "What's the point if I don't get Moar freedoms" is not super productive.
Lot of people are missing the fact that vaccines are great at preventing ICU type hospital visits, but hospital admissions are still very high.
A vaccine is not stopping the virus from spreading and we won't suddenly be drinking Bin Tang's in Bali

This isn't quite true the vaccines do prevent virus transmission, it isn't 100%, but it is pretty high:

Estimated mRNA vaccine effectiveness for prevention of infection, adjusted for study site, was 90% for full immunization and 80% for partial immunization. These findings indicate that authorized mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are effective for preventing SARS-CoV-2 infection, regardless of symptom status, among working-age adults in real-world conditions.
Which suggests that in household contacts the vaccine effectiveness at reducing transmissions by around 71%
(VET = vaccine effectiveness against transmission)
The secondary attack rate was 31% for household members exposed to unvaccinated index patients but 11% if the index patient was fully vaccinated, making the adjusted vaccine effectiveness against transmission (aVET) 71% (95% confidence interval [CI], 63% to 77%). By vaccine type, VET was estimated to be 58% for the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine, 70% for Pfizer/BioNTech, 88% for Moderna, and 77% for Johnson & Johnson. Partial vaccination only resulted in an aVET between 15% and 51%.
My take is that there isn't sufficient good research to form conclusive findings about how effective the vaccines are at preventing transmission and I think that vaccines will have good effectiveness at preventing individuals from catching and spreading the disease.

We already see in the US that COVID is become a disease of the unvaccinated.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Serious hat on now:

I think the thread I’ve linked that was kicked off by the screenshot tweets below shows that the biggest hurdle we have in combating Covid and all the misinformation around it is fucking politicians and their inability to resist the urge to make click-bait statements without thinking them through: (and please don’t take this as an open attack on an ALP premier for partisan reasons. Berijiklian is ten times worse!)

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
1288 for NSW.
Pretty sure I heard that we are easing our exercise restrictions very soon to celebrate!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/100427638

It is looking like a real chance of QLD joining the lockdown list in the very near future.

Family Travelled from Melbourne through back roads - currently refuse to be tested at all - truck driver active for 5 days in the community tests positive

View attachment 379662
Well those arseholes should be expecting the maximum fine from each state for each violation per responsible person. They may have just pushed Australia a few decades away from recession!

I’ve had both Pfizer shots . I’d like AZ now too if I was allowed. Instead AZ is going to waste
Have you tried to book in or just walk in and get it anyway?

Newly Released Suspension & Components General right now is about as derailed as it gets with drug use, rectal exams and fucking horse dancing all in the last 2 pages and what's even more shocking is that YOU haven't even been involved!!! :oops::eek:
I'm going to need a link...for a friend.

But I’m ok to drink Chang in thailand?
Check with Qantas...they are currently dictating travel policy.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
ironically that scumbag was one of the very first people to be vaccinated
Of course he was! Slithery bastard.

Phone is having a fucking fit, everyone in my hood has either just started to send out their nightly barrage of dick pics or can't stand listening to their kids anymore and tossed them a device in hope of silence...damn you bandwidth clogging jerks! I have pointless shit to share.

Ahhhhhh there it is. Anyway these guys had a little spree (too short I think) of posting right wing Americans that got vaxxed.

http://instagr.am/p/CSX_mgWFFCi/

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Unless you are into unofficial exercise gatherings...

I have been well glad that those time restrictions weren't applied here.
As much as I disagree with the km/LGA restrictions at least they make some sense by containing the spread to a geographical area, still can't get my head around how curfews and duration limits on exercise actually make an impact... very thankful that we've not been subject to that yet.