COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

stirk

Burner
Imma Gunna have to see if I can find the 9 litre thread......

Found one...gotta entertain ourselves during lockdown.....

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
fair point, but previous "novel" CoV variants have all [seemed to] originate in one species (in which it may be worth assuming they've been endemic for some time), be triggered by an environmental factor (husbandry, ecology change etc.) to successfully transfer to an intermediate mammalian host in which they mutate, making them transmissible to humans, whence they emerge as SARS/MERS/whatever.

that point alone gives it "mutant skill points" in my mind, but then if you like you can suppose the mutation stops outside the intermediate animal population. With this one though there isn't even yet a good candidate for the intermediate host (despite WHO stipulating search and confirmation as a key action point, funding etc.). Sure "we just ain't found it yet" is most likely, but if there isn't one... what does that tell us about the mutability of the RNA in humans?
They don't seem to know enough about it at ATM but the more people have the virus in transmission stage, the greater chance of it mutating but the media has already claimed there is more than one strain of the Coronavirus.

I believe a virus can jump from host to host without any change when the original host is close to our genetics, like a Primate to human but in Wuhan it wasn't the case. There's been reports that people have been infected twice but they're unsure whether or not they had totally got rid of the virus from their body in the first place, there's been no scientifical evidence to prove it ATM. If there's already other strains of it, it's most likely mutated along the way somewhere.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
They don't seem to know enough about it at ATM but the more people have the virus in transmission stage, the greater chance of it mutating but the media has already claimed there is more than one strain of the Coronavirus.

I believe a virus can jump from host to host without any change when the original host is close to our genetics, like a Primate to human but in Wuhan it wasn't the case. There's been reports that people have been infected twice but they're unsure whether or not they had totally got rid of the virus from their body in the first place, there's been no scientifical evidence to prove it ATM. If there's already other strains of it, it's most likely mutated along the way somewhere.
Coronavirus refers to a family of viruses, whereas COVID-19 is the specific strain that is causing the concern this time around.

SARS and MERS are both Coronaviruses but didn't spread as far due to (IIRC) not having people being infectious for several days before showing symptoms.

That may be what you're thinking of when they've referred to their being other strains.

stirk

Burner

It was a numbers game to get into humans and then to spread and cause chaos. If it's mutating already it must be self aware! Or created in a lab.....tin foil is in scare supply too now.

If we fully understand how these viruses transmit from non human to human then we need to stop the practice that leads to it. If it's wet markets then change that practice. Not sure it's wet markets though, not confident anyone knows what's going on with this one.

SARS, bird and swine flu didn't seem to have the same impact, have we all gone bat shit crazy?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
RBA newsflash: Printing money to give to the banks to lend at a profit to already over-geared businesses and people.

Sounds like putting petrol on a fire.

There must be a better approach. Why don't we just freeze all payments until we get through this?
“We” will line up the commies against a wall before suspending debt. This nation is built on debt in every way imaginable

stirk

Burner
RBA newsflash: Printing money to give to the banks to lend at a profit to already over-geared businesses and people.

There must be a better approach. Why don't we just freeze all payments until we get through this?
Just like GFC alot of rich people who can ride the stock market wave will end up making a shitload of money out of this one. When stock prices are low, buy buy buy and wait a few years and reap the harvest.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Crazy hey, why couldn't they print more money in the first place when the housing boom started off ? They'll do anything to stop house prices from falling.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

All part of the grand plan.

Lemmings one and all, follow the storyline off the cliff.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Thanks @c3024446 - makes sense.

I have a question - what health condition tests means a person is moved to the "recovered" bucket? I'm guessing was tested to have the virus & is now tested not to have the virus (tested more than once?).
no not normally retested, they know roughly how long contagious for..after this recovered

Daniel Hale

there are reports on reinfection so it's not confirmed that after recovery you won't get it again. The only reliable way will be a vaccine.
fake news, if u had it u cannot get again in near future, u either didn’t have to begin with, or got something else, but most likely false positive test.

nb vaccines are hood for most, some people don;t xero-convert, vaccines don’t work for them

Daniel Hale

Is the virus really that bad? Am I even allowed to ask that question without being shouted down? no it’s very low level
Will the shut-downs/isolations ultimately prove futile?
)
virus very low level - 1 rung above a cold...many adults won’t realise they even have the condition.

yes, humans being humans people will always do what the F they want, even dr’s nurses have poor infection control...slow to a certain extent is an option, stopping it is next to impossible. 1st big hospital i worked, kept getting a nasty infection causing many deaths...gutted rooms, changed wings, removed carpets/curtains...turned out it was living in the vacuum cleaner, the cleaner was spreading it & not changing filter regularly...took months to find
ps background = med lab science

Ackland

chats d'élevage
lots of people out of work, interest rates pretty much 0 - what can we build now that isn't exacerbating the health side of the crisis? is snow hydro 2 suitable? housing ,high speed rail? Jobs are better than one off cash for everyone
You can't just "start building hydro 2".
There's years of planning before that's shovel ready.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
The should have pulled the trigger on option one 6 weeks ago and left the borders closed until a vaccine/treatment came along. Society would be back to normal by now and the economic cost far far less. Gov would have had to bail out the airlines.
Now look at what we are facing, massive economic loss, deaths, anarchy.. It’s a fucking mess all because of the gov chasing the chinese dollar..
Vaccines can take YEARS to develop, AFAIK. If a reliable vaccine is developed within a year, that would be a frikken miracle of science.