COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Had a discussion with friends of extended family. They are in their 70s and not vaccinated and don't plan on doing so anytime soon. The conversation started with the 'discrimination' planned by the Q govt toward unvaccinated. They pointed out that they are not antivax but are considering their position. They have had all the usual vaccinations and also get flu jabs pretty much every year. The weirdest part of the conversation was their comment that they are evaluating both sides of the vax antivax argument before deciding what to do. My first thought was that you do not have the tools to make that evaluation but that was needlessly cruel. Neither are what I would call well educated. Instead I asked what arguments that they have seen, read or heard against the vaccines that they considered to be valid. And it was just the bullshit sprouted on social media and that not all medical professionals support the vaccines. I asked what level of medical professional are saying no, oh you know nurses that have had lots of experience of these things and some doctors.

I should have said what I wanted in the first place. Anyway had a discussion about the benefit of the vaccines, they were of the belief that if the vaccines could not prevent you catching covid then they were useless so I dug out some stats and showed the vax vs nonvax hospitalisations, complications and deaths. I don't what level of research they were doing but it was not particularly comprehensive shall we say. Partner now wants to get the vax but the one who is saying no wont let him. Fuck me that is so stupid.

Anyway they are out there. I suspect there is plenty broken after 70 years of life that covid wont be easy if they catch it.

Sad person. That to me sums up the problem, we have too many who have access to information, good and bad, but they do not have the basic intelligence to be able to dismiss the obvious shit and that weighs in their minds as valid data. I tried, maybe got something through but it is a struggle.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
My work just had our welder resign a week or so ago due to the mandatory vaccine laws.

He has young 2 kids, I kind of figured that he would just get the vax for their benefit alone.

Have heard since that he plans to fall back on his other qualifications (Training and assessment). Which of course will have a mandatory vaccination policy.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Had a discussion with friends of extended family. They are in their 70s and not vaccinated and don't plan on doing so anytime soon. The conversation started with the 'discrimination' planned by the Q govt toward unvaccinated. They pointed out that they are not antivax but are considering their position. They have had all the usual vaccinations and also get flu jabs pretty much every year. The weirdest part of the conversation was their comment that they are evaluating both sides of the vax antivax argument before deciding what to do. My first thought was that you do not have the tools to make that evaluation but that was needlessly cruel. Neither are what I would call well educated. Instead I asked what arguments that they have seen, read or heard against the vaccines that they considered to be valid. And it was just the bullshit sprouted on social media and that not all medical professionals support the vaccines. I asked what level of medical professional are saying no, oh you know nurses that have had lots of experience of these things and some doctors.

I should have said what I wanted in the first place. Anyway had a discussion about the benefit of the vaccines, they were of the belief that if the vaccines could not prevent you catching covid then they were useless so I dug out some stats and showed the vax vs nonvax hospitalisations, complications and deaths. I don't what level of research they were doing but it was not particularly comprehensive shall we say. Partner now wants to get the vax but the one who is saying no wont let him. Fuck me that is so stupid.

Anyway they are out there. I suspect there is plenty broken after 70 years of life that covid wont be easy if they catch it.

Sad person. That to me sums up the problem, we have too many who have access to information, good and bad, but they do not have the basic intelligence to be able to dismiss the obvious shit and that weighs in their minds as valid data. I tried, maybe got something through but it is a struggle.
sad, and this exists in all demographics. I'm just impressed that they are in their 70s and use social media.. Good on you trying to have a non combattive discussion with them. I default to combattive immediately. My Mother in law was very against due to the clotting risk (yes i know, small). We were going to leave there, but she's since been vaxxed. I assume a doctor talked some sense into her.

There has been a number of people who present with serious side effects, some of which can last for an undeterminable amount of time. Perricarditis and POTS being two. BUt these are rare and have been known as possible side effects for quite some time. Doesnt diminish the effectiveness of safety. I guess if you end up with these, youre unlucky.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Massive spike in covid in Singapore. Right when my fedex parcel of car parts arrived in time to be stuck there for the last week.

Yeah yeah, people are dying and it’s all horrible blah blah - I want my stuff dammit!
That is unfortunate. Given borders are open, life is a bit dull, and flights to Singapore are cheap I was giving consideration to heading there for a couple of days to build up some bragging rights among my peers.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
That is unfortunate. Given borders are open, life is a bit dull, and flights to Singapore are cheap I was giving consideration to heading there for a couple of days to build up some bragging rights among my peers.
you still can. "I imported THIS strain from Singapore". All the plebs will be jelly

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
My work just had our welder resign a week or so ago due to the mandatory vaccine laws.

He has young 2 kids, I kind of figured that he would just get the vax for their benefit alone.

Have heard since that he plans to fall back on his other qualifications (Training and assessment). Which of course will have a mandatory vaccination policy.
I reckon / hope most of these people will change their tune over the next few months and quietly (if resentfully) get vaccinated once they realise no one cares about their self-imposed martyrdom and they're just screwing themselves.
I default to combattive immediately.
This is my issue too, I just get too emotive, especially having close family members who are vulnerable to it (been in and out of ICU of late). Too much skin in the game to listen to any anti-vax arguments without automatically defaulting to "no f* you you selfish stupid myopic c*" which gets a touch counterproductive.

hambonanas

Want to know what I had for breakfast? I tell you!
I'll be up for my third shot next month - hopefully I get the same very mild symptoms as last time.