COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

clockworked

Like an orange
All right...so heard another interesting thing today. You all thought that the freaks method and aloe vera was a whack idea. Apparently if you gargle vodka, inhale the fumes, spit or swallow at your discretion then you can reduce your risks. Vodka...must be vodka. Sigh
You'll be better off with ozonated water or 1% hydrogen peroxide. Gives 2-3 hours of reduced transmission too!

safreek

Used to follow this mob after the massacre, not anymore. Are all Christians this fucken stupid, do they all wish to meet god early. For fucks sake

Flow-Rider

Burner
I know a guy who's entire life is international travel, spends only about 6 weeks a year at home. He swears by a shot in the morning lol, believes it keeps sickness away.

I just want to know if this is just above the common cold or no worse than the flu and only affects old people.
How the fuck did the 35yo whistle blowing doc die from it?
Flu's they can stop from spreading or reduce the severity for people that are vulnerable from being infected by giving Flu shots but there's no vaccine that is human safe for the latest Corona virus yet. It's only early days and they don't know everything about it yet.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I just want to know if this is just above the common cold or no worse than the flu and only affects old people.
Numbers.

More contagious.

More people will get it.

More people will end up in hospital.

There are not enough beds for the projected outcome.

Unknowns mean strict quarantine requirements, further reducing hospital resources.

It's all about numbers.

clockworked

Like an orange
Flu's they can stop from spreading or reduce the severity for people that are vulnerable from being infected by giving Flu shots but there's no vaccine that is human safe for the latest Corona virus yet. It's only early days and they don't know everything about it yet.
Thats not entirely true. They have a wealth of knowledge about coronaviruses generally from SARS and MERS. Also human trials of vaccines are already occurring.
They know it enters the cell via ACE receptors... better watch out everyone with heart disease on ace inhibitors!

_______

Is an alien from 2007
where are you getting that number, covid mortality is running 1% roughly, real figure will b less due to healthy adults not knowing they have it, flu deaths run very similar, except for the nastier variants eg spanish fly, run at 2-3% mortality, remember the flu vaccine skews the real mortality %
View attachment 361258
Yeah ok that was conflating mortality from covid19 overall with mortality in 60+ (which does the bulk of the stats obvs vs a more even spread in the flu) and in an overwhelmed system (Italy) not like I made out a coping one (Korea). My bad.

Still, high five to not living in Iran right now, right?...

Ps I cringed so hard I turned inside out when I heard Trump bumbling on and elaborating off script about chloroquine like he'd invented it, saying it's perfectly safe and approved "so we know it won't kill anybody": it fell into disuse after the 40s because it's so toxic it's easy to overdose and safer alternatives came on stream. I give it a few weeks tops before we hear of some murican figuring it's cheap otc, give the kids a double or triple dose as prophylaxis...

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thats not entirely true. They have a wealth of knowledge about coronaviruses generally from SARS and MERS. Also human trials of vaccines are already occurring.
They know it enters the cell via ACE receptors... better watch out everyone with heart disease on ace inhibitors!
It might take about a year for a vaccine to be passed, they're already human testing in the US, if they fully understood covid-19 we wouldn't be in the position we're in now. You can do throats swabs and they come out negative but people can still contain the virus, they've only done small sample testing in China with kids but they've retested with anal swabs and it still shows to be present after a few weeks. So they're not really even sure how long it lasts.

clockworked

Like an orange
Here's some crib notes from that talk - not my work. Its a bit disorganised because i have deleted the dental specific parts that are superfluous.

Please excuse the poor grammar and spelling issues.

Brief notes on the Covid 19 FB live session by Dental Evolution with Prof. Laurie Walsh

Key point summary

- The Covid 19 has 2 main strains due to viral mutation

o The Iran, Italian, south America strain – appears to be more lethal

o The China strain – appears to be maybe less lethal

- Fundamental structure still the same, so same style of PPE and universal protocol will work well as this virus is relatively easier to disrupt off e.g. detergent or alcohol-based hygiene practices

- The virus primarily transmits via aerosol/droplets hence via direct surface contact once it settles, it is now also known to transmit via feces and poor hand hygiene

- People who has compromised lung function – mainly the ability for the lung to clear debris/pathogen via its lining as well as fight infection are at a much higher risk, hence a much higher death rate in elderly people and smokers.

- Being a RNA virus, the virus works on Angiotensin conversion enzyme 2 receptor, other medications previously developed to fight other RNA virus appears to be working to a certain extent e.g. Hep C, HIV hence death rates appears to be lower in more advanced countries where these drugs are more available.

- Many patients who has contracted Covid19 will start to experience mild diarrhea 2-3 days before the shortness of breath and cough and fever kicks in. If your patient has all these, please avoid them and ask them to be tested

- Pre-procedural mouth rinses – 1% peroxide for 30seconds work well for viral contents

- We only have 2000 ICU unit in Australia, hence the discussion about flattening the curve. If we don’t all get sick at the same time, there will be enough facility to help us all.

- The WHO fatality rate is measured at 3% at the moment.

- Prof Walsh’s prediction is that closure will no doubt occur with in 1-2 weeks, any public places of gathering will be closed

- Closure will be likely 4-6 weeks depending on how well people recover and control the spread of infection

- Cloth mask do NOT work due to lack of filter

- A mask starts to drop in performance after 20min but may work up to 2 hours at which point should be replaced due to it becoming damp both inside and outside rendering it useless

- Wipe down regularly especially door handles and again

- A surface cleaner using neutral detergent+/- disinfectant will work well

- Ozone water – can be used instead of peroxide as a good effective antiviral disinfectant

- Take home message:

o Remember to focus on your world once you are outside your clinic

o Think about what you touch not just at work but also at home

o Wash your hand basically before you do anything

- Vaccine is coming, but don’t hold your breath
It might take about a year for a vaccine to be passed, they're already human testing in the US, if they fully understood covid-19 we wouldn't be in the position we're in now. You can do throats swabs and they come out negative but people can still contain the virus, they've only done small sample testing in China with kids but they've retested with anal swabs and it still shows to be present after a few weeks. So they're not really even sure how long it lasts.
They do know how long it lasts. the virus is shed from 4 days until 36 days. it is spread through respiratory routes for the first 14 days but continues to be shed fecally for the next 12.

stirk

Burner
They've banned cycling (recreational) in Italy, Spain, and France now. The shopping basket wasn't just for shits and giggles. It may be a needed excuse to ride.
I told you so. I can't fit a 9L pannier so will hang reusable bags on the bar ends like tassels and ride free and easy from the trail to the shops.

My bags will be flapping in the breeze, big grin on my face and on the way home, if I'm lucky, a roll of TP in the bag......

Or I'll just go buy some rabbits......

the bear told me they work ok....

Flow-Rider

Burner
They do know how long it lasts. the virus is shed from 4 days until 36 days. it is spread through respiratory routes for the first 14 days but continues to be shed fecally for the next 12.
The last I heard was they had done a small sample test of kids in China, which means the virus period may be a lot different in Adults, the info might have changed or been updated but they never knew from the start of the outbreak.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I told you so. I can't fit a 9L pannier so will hang reusable bags on the bar ends like tassels and ride free and easy from the trail to the shops.

My bags will be flapping in the breeze, big grin on my face and on the way home, if I'm lucky, a roll of TP in the bag......

Or I'll just go buy some rabbits......

the bear told me they work ok....
Where do they stock 9l panniers, never mind they might be all sold by now.