COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
It's a point that a lot of people don't seem to understand. There has been fuck-all testing testing done, and nobody knows the real figures.
This x1000. With the current testing rates in Australia there may already be many people that have had the virus and subsequently got over it. These people will never be part of the statistics. All that we can know for certain is that the actual numbers will be lower than the real numbers.

Whilst this means the death rate may be higher than reality, it also means the infectiousness / rate of spread etc. will be lower than actual.

moorey

call me Mia
So...schools all closed in Vic now by order of state government. Wife was just speaking to friend in the education dept....and says that apparently they are being pressured federally to reopen. If true....what a clustercuss :rolleyes:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
So...schools all closed in Vic now by order of state government. Wife was just speaking to friend in the education dept....and says that apparently they are being pressured federally to reopen. If true....what a clustercuss :rolleyes:
If they do, they'll have about three students each. Only half the students attended our schools today.

A letter came home from the primary school saying if you're employed in an essential service then contact them and your child will be supervised at school.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Noticed that myself, even Kmart have none
Lead sinkers and milk bottles

This x1000. With the current testing rates in Australia there may already be many people that have had the virus and subsequently got over it. These people will never be part of the statistics. All that we can know for certain is that the actual numbers will be lower than the real numbers.

Whilst this means the death rate may be higher than reality, it also means the infectiousness / rate of spread etc. will be lower than actual.
Agreed, the testing is targeted at those most likely to have been in contact with the virus. It isn't random, and the results are highly concentrated.

It might be more widespread than we realise, or it might be dying in the environment as we type.

Over the last few days I've been asking service station and supermarket staff if they've been tested. Haven't had a 'yes' yet.

The data is a shit-show.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
M'ladys colleague (whose potential covid we were locked up for) got in touch with her doctor this morning. Over the phone diagnosis of 'probably not #19...no test required' so we are good to go but...

...this explains the data. #19 test kits are in short supply in Oz and they're being used based on triage. So the data they generate at the community scale is essentially useless in understanding the transmission and lethality of the virus in the Oz context.

clockworked

Like an orange
Why are they wasting money on doubling the dole, better off spending it setting up military ICU hospitals in tents or spare warehouses where it can save people. Stopping people from working for a few weeks or months will be a short term loss rather than letting the virus spread throughout the population, it will still cost money to get rid of infectious corpses.
Wrong. The majority of defences health capability are actually reservists. They're all in the hospitals already

Flow-Rider

Burner
Wrong. The majority of defences health capability are actually reservists. They're all in the hospitals already
It will be pretty the same all over the world but Italy managed to do it, we must be really special in Australia.
Maybe read jonny's post
There are networks of retired/former RNs/ENs, military, etc. that are activating now. Family and friends that work for private providers or that are former RNs are telling me all about it.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
You were the only medico for the whole of the defence force of Australia ?
He said he was in the “only full hospital unit” defence has.

I.e. the majority of defence medical personnel are reservists - regular doctors and nurses and surgeons who are already working in hospitals and in the community day to day until such time as the reserve are called up.

Or, at least, that’s how I interpreted it.

clockworked

Like an orange
You were the only medico for the whole of the defence force of Australia ?
What? That's the point you drew from that?!
All im saying is that I've met most of army's medical capability during my time working for the ONLY hospital unit in defence. There are definitely more qualified people than me to answer questions about defence's medical capability but i had just assumed there wouldn't be too many more on this small, mountain biking forum. If you get Brigadier Whelan on the boards let me know though.

safreek

Lead sinkers and milk bottles

Agreed, the testing is targeted at those most likely to have been in contact with the virus. It isn't random, and the results are highly concentrated.

It might be more widespread than we realise, or it might be dying in the environment as we type.

Over the last few days I've been asking service station and supermarket staff if they've been tested. Haven't had a 'yes' yet.

The data is a shit-show.
Answer from me is above, when you are super strong it isn't enough, shall go back to push ups, in my heyday I could rep out a 110 kg person on my upper back